what age

Guest ryan161

Sarcasm noted and not respected :laugh: Why the need to denigrate someone's personal opinion in such a way? Why get so angry? What I wrote is my opinion. Plenty of people disagree, and plenty agree. There's more than one way to skin a cat as they say. I'll stick with my bike, free running, swimming. I've never matched a dog in my life, but when I was coursing regularly before the ban I didn't need a tread mill and my dogs were always fit enough for the job, never tied up, never got blown and never suffered any of the other ills that unfit dogs can suffer from when run unfit. At the end of the day we all have our different methods we use to get dogs fit: I am happy with the way I do things and certainly wouldn't be rushing out to buy a treadmill even if I could afford one, which I can't. Some people seem to swear by them, fair enough. That's their choice: and at least those who are using them have been sensible enough, for the most part, to say don't put a pup on one until it is physically mature.

As I said before, I'd sooner get on the bike, out in the fresh air and cycle for however many miles I need to: keeps me fit as well, but then again, I do all my hunting on foot. A good friend of mine has dogs in a state of fitness which would put most to shame, and he's never used a mill either, just his bike and his two legs and plenty of work for the dogs. So why the big push for mills? OK, it might make life easier for the owner who doesn't have to pedal miles or run dogs by the side of a vehicle (not always easy to find somewhere safe)but really, what else is the advantage, apart from exercising in the dry if it is raining? I'm not being sarcastic: seriously. If you can tell me that a mill has a proven advantage over trotting or cantering beside a bike in the early stages of fitness training, I'd like to know. Maybe I am as ignorant as fcuk, or just old fashioned, but humour me and tell me what the advantage is.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reasons why NOT to run a lurcher on a treadmill:   Running in a straight line on the same surface all the time doesn't build agility, suppleness, nor does it toughen the feet and pads like regular e

Skycat     No, but it builds wind, needed for stamina.     Pish. Building muscle requires resistance, unless the dog was running on a constant incline running on a treadmill will not build "bo

Someone turn this thread around now and ask those who talk some shite on here the relevant questions as how muscle is developed from using a mill,then ask why ALL the top coursing greyhound men in Ir

Sarcasm noted and not respected :laugh: Why the need to denigrate someone's personal opinion in such a way? Why get so angry? What I wrote is my opinion. Plenty of people disagree, and plenty agree. There's more than one way to skin a cat as they say. I'll stick with my bike, free running, swimming. I've never matched a dog in my life, but when I was coursing regularly before the ban I didn't need a tread mill and my dogs were always fit enough for the job, never tied up, never got blown and never suffered any of the other ills that unfit dogs can suffer from when run unfit. At the end of the day we all have our different methods we use to get dogs fit: I am happy with the way I do things and certainly wouldn't be rushing out to buy a treadmill even if I could afford one, which I can't. Some people seem to swear by them, fair enough. That's their choice: and at least those who are using them have been sensible enough, for the most part, to say don't put a pup on one until it is physically mature.

As I said before, I'd sooner get on the bike, out in the fresh air and cycle for however many miles I need to: keeps me fit as well, but then again, I do all my hunting on foot. A good friend of mine has dogs in a state of fitness which would put most to shame, and he's never used a mill either, just his bike and his two legs and plenty of work for the dogs. So why the big push for mills? OK, it might make life easier for the owner who doesn't have to pedal miles or run dogs by the side of a vehicle (not always easy to find somewhere safe)but really, what else is the advantage, apart from exercising in the dry if it is raining? I'm not being sarcastic: seriously. If you can tell me that a mill has a proven advantage over trotting or cantering beside a bike in the early stages of fitness training, I'd like to know. Maybe I am as ignorant as fcuk, or just old fashioned, but humour me and tell me what the advantage is.

NONE MATE .

LIFE EXPECTANSY 5YRS MAX,NORM3YRS DOGS BLOWN/FECKED OR BEFORE.

TREADMILLS ,PITS ONLY.

LIFE EXPECTANCY NEXT SCRAP.

NEVER READ AS MUCH PISH,LOL

TREADMILLS LURCHERS HA HA ,WALK/FREERUN.

I RACED WHIPS/GREWS.

SWIM ONCE A WK NEVER TRDS.

BURN THE FECKER OUT.

HA/HA TRED,S ARE FOR DIFFERENT BREED,S,THE COALEMINER BRIGADE.:thumbs:

As ever, articulate, concise and music to my ears. A monkey with his organ. Have to give credit for effort, typing with your elbows must be frustrating.

• Like 1

NONE MATE .

LIFE EXPECTANSY 5YRS MAX,NORM3YRS DOGS BLOWN/FECKED OR BEFORE.

TREADMILLS ,PITS ONLY.

LIFE EXPECTANCY NEXT SCRAP.

Pits only ?? what are you referring to ? another breed perhaps ? This is a running dog section on a perfectly legal forum whom talk and debate about hunting dogs and her breeds. Take your debacle to forums that welcome and accommodate such, and leave the more intellectual debates to those that know what they are talking about instead of random presumptuous drivel that you are spouting. Elbows getting sore ??

• Like 1

Skycat,

I can and will end this debate right now. You said " Why the need to denigrate someone's personal opinion in such a way?" thank you for the above average reply that one would expect to recieve on here. Your opinion is yours and no one can change or alter that. To stand up and state your previous posts were your opinion speaks volumes. I respect your opinions and i would like to thank you for clearing that up. As for goofy, please dont tell me he is your mate ? LOL

I didnt set out to speak damagingly of your post, rather frustration from the criticization of the treadmill as a tool to incorporate in ones conditioning regime. Look back on the thread re: bolios pictures and facts on the usage of the mill as a tool, maybe goofy can find that 10000th of a brain cell to take his or her head out of the sand pit (pun intended!) and relate mills to other breeds of dogs and not just "pits" as he indicates.

I will accept a free copy of your book to criticize if you so wish, pm for address LOL

Edited by Gunner123

I know hundreds of folk that use mills for conditioning a wide variety of differing dog breeds . . . . . . for a wide variety of disciplines, the dogs are all in peak condition and excel at their chosen disciplines. IMO a lot of the negativity towards mills is simply ignorance. If used correctly, along side free running, swimming and any other fitness exercise, they are an excellent tool. :thumbs:

i dont think anybody would disagree with that. but he wanted to know what age to start his pup on it and imo no pup should need to go on a treadmill for fittness. its so easy to over do things with a growing pup fare enough get them used to the tread but they dont/shouldnt need it for fittness. atb

Plenty before me had answered his question regarding the age to "introduce" his pup to a mill . . . . my post was giving MY experience and MY opinion on mills . .. following on from previous posts discussing negative opinions on the use of mills. The thread had become a discussion on the pro's and cons of mills, hence my addition. :thumbs:

Guest dances

you cant ask a simple question on this with out people being wankers

ignorance my friend, they dont know how to or havent used one so as always on here they guess what to say.

Some Right ones,How can a treadmill be bad if used correctly?How can me being able to give my dog a controlled canter, gallop at the speed and length of time, I think they need,be bad. The lad asked for advice and got bull,I would say take it easy untill after its first birthday.

thanks mate how long would use run a mature lurcher for on the mill and how many times a week and like you side mate take easy with the pup the same again how long would you give them on it?? cheers mate :thumbs:

i use a mill and ill give the dog a warm up prior and a cool down after. I normally do a 15 minute up/down for half hour etc. so that they get the same time walking as they get milled. Even though as many have said dogs love the mill, for the morons that say its boring and non stimulating the mill section is the middle part so the interesting walking around the estate on the lead, looking at houses is both before and after incase the dogs have an articulate eye for post war council architecture.

I admit I've never used a treadmill myself: reason? It is better fun for me and the dog for me to get on a bike and go at a controlled speed so the dog is either trotting steadily or cantering steadily. Any form of steady, continuous exercise builds muscle. I've actually built too much muscle on a lurcher by cantering her slowly beside the bike, for miles, before I knew better. She could run great in a straight line, but lacked the suppleness when twisting and turning on a hare. It wasn't until I reduced the cantering in a straight line and let her do more free running that she lost that muscle bound look and was able to really twist and turn with the agility she needed.

Let's face it: coursing greyhounds are all about speed and more speed: most of the points are gained on the run up, and there aren't too many turns before the hare is lost, or very rarely, caught. Single handed coursing dogs running across open country, as opposed to on the running ground where the hare has been driven, are likely to have a much longer course than a coursing greyhound run doubled up.

So yes, a treadmill would be fine for a coursing greyhound, but not, IMO, for a lurcher or any dog which is actually supposed to catch the hare as opposed to just course it to score points in a competition under National Coursing Club rules.

why comment if you dont know what your talking about, this is exactly like your articles. your writing from an uninformed pointless perspective.

• Like 3

What about a lad that has to work 5 days a week,its dark when he gos to work its dark when he gets back,He lamps his dogs as many nights a week as possible,But some nights its just not worth going out,This winter there was 2 months of frozen ground.Maybe he lives in a rural area,no street lights and you certainly wouldn't be safe riding a bike and a couple of lurcher's running loose in the dark.Maybe he lives in a town but doesn't like his dogs being in the public eye,while he walks them around the streets.Some lads might think because there dog go`s hunting once a week,There dog doesn't need anymore,While others are always looking to get there dogs fitter.You dont have to be lazy to use one.

On a night lamping your dog takes a bang, get it home put it on treadmill give it a walk you can see if its lame,sore.

Edited by weasle

What about a lad that has to work 5 days a week,its dark when he gos to work its dark when he gets back,He lamps his dogs as many nights a week as possible,But some nights its just not worth going out,This winter there was 2 months of frozen ground.Maybe he lives in a rural area,no street lights and you certainly wouldn't be safe riding a bike and a couple of lurcher's running loose in the dark.Maybe he lives in a town but doesn't like his dogs being in the public eye,while he walks them around the streets.Some lads might think because there dog go`s hunting once a week,There dog doesn't need anymore,While others are always looking to get there dogs fitter.You dont have to be lazy to use one.

dont stop me pal and i regularly work 6 days a week,did have a treadmill for couple months but got rid rather put the miles in myself,dont know enough about conditioning them to be honest at least if im walking them im never going to over do it through lack of knowledge stupidity call it what you will,many a time iv done a 16hour shift and looked at the dog reluctantly when i get home but its on the lead and out no matter what,the day i cant get my arse off the chair to walk it will be the day i give it all up and for me thats still a long time off yet :thumbs:

maybe i didnt undrstand what the lad ment ... was this the question.. at what age do you start a PUP on a treadmill

well i still maintain i wouldnt put a pup on a treadmill .. putting a full grown mature dog on a mill is a totally different thing . ;)

Guest dances

On a night lamping your dog takes a bang, get it home put it on treadmill give it a walk you can see if its lame,sore.

spot on mate, not everyone is lucky enough to have hours to play with like some on here. me for example; im 18 and fully employed and doing a btec national diploma aswell as having a baby due in just over 2 weeks not to mention just moving out of the family home onto my own two feet and having to decorate when i get in from work. wheres the time id require to bike a dog? now i know its the same time as a mill but i cant keep a true pace like the mill at the higher speeds. i also have physical things to do after i have exercised the dogs.

Guest dances

maybe i didnt undrstand what the lad ment ... was this the question.. at what age do you start a PUP on a treadmill

well i still maintain i wouldnt put a pup on a treadmill .. putting a full grown mature dog on a mill is a totally different thing . ;)

your an awkward f****r aint ya lol. would you not introduce the pup on the mill? as for fitness exercise using the mill i would start around 2 after the dogs first season but then i would only give the pup a light season where as i know some dont.

your an awkward f****r aint ya lol. would you not introduce the pup on the mill? as for fitness exercise using the mill i would start around 2 after the dogs first season but then i would only give the pup a light season where as i know some dont.

you would start arond 2 ffs is it a pup at 2 ? awkward your not the first to say that :laugh: