gameness, hardness and prey drive

Guest dances

Guest dances

i notice alot of people use what i feel is the wrong word, e.g when people say an untried, unstarted pup is game. so im putting what i feel is the definition of them.

Prey drive - the want to catch someth, for example crashing a hedge to make a catch

Gameness - knowing that the fox is going to bite them but still catching it

Hardness - inflicting damage to a fox and take more damage then required e.g some bull crosses catch and just hold the same place having extensive damage done to then rather then quickly changing hold or shaking

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

silly talk

so a dog that will try and take anything PREY DRIVE ????   HARDNESS a dog that can take a foxs ect ect and do the job     GAMENESS a dog that will try even when out on his feet some dogs will d

If gameness is having a 'fighting spirit', especially in the face of difficult odds.   Could a lurcher not be game??? Depending on the situation you put it in? I would say it could.   Obviously no

my thoughts exactley prey drive for me though is a dog that will tackle anything no matter how big or go through anything to get to its prize. one thing that does annoy me abit is that alot of lads think that coz they have bull breeding in there dogs its means they will always do stuff with teeth.

atb

well you said on all (3) describe my last 1/4 bull 3/4 grey(tenacity).He would grab any where , never let it go but took alot of stick :doh: .you knew if caught you it was going no where, but in some ways pity he didnt try to kill out right.! I wonder if my 3/8 bull 5/8 grey pup will be or would have been pre ban .? the same

this was him in the 80s Bruce

Bruce.jpg

Guest dances

Can you class a lurcher as "game"

I always thought "game dogs" was a term associated with fighting dogs and as been adopted by lurcher boys. :thumbs:

it has but it can be applied to lurchers in a similar way if used correctly i feel

Can you class a lurcher as "game"

I always thought "game dogs" was a term associated with fighting dogs and as been adopted by lurcher boys. :thumbs:

it has but it can be applied to lurchers in a similar way if used correctly i feel

I honestly think you can't class a dog smashing a fox as game..............game and gameness is refered to pit fighting(dogs and birds)for a reason,which is worlds apart from dog v fox which I'm assuming you're referring to. :thumbs:

Very difficult to define as many folk have their own ideas. We all know prey drive, but what about hardness and gameness, very difficult, is a lurcher game if he has already pulled half a dozen foxes, is sore, tired and yet still puts everything into his next run and catches and kills the fox without fuss???? Hardness can be subjective too, is a dog hard if he pulverises every fox he encounters yet takes little stick, he may be hard but would he be gamke? Not in my eyes, very interesting topic which could run forever as ones mans game/hard is not anothers.....

Unfortunately our legal foxing days with lurchers are on hold in certain countries........

Guest dances

Very difficult to define as many folk have their own ideas. We all know prey drive, but what about hardness and gameness, very difficult, is a lurcher game if he has already pulled half a dozen foxes, is sore, tired and yet still puts everything into his next run and catches and kills the fox without fuss???? Hardness can be subjective too, is a dog hard if he pulverises every fox he encounters yet takes little stick, he may be hard but would he be gamke? Not in my eyes, very interesting topic which could run forever as ones mans game/hard is not anothers.....

Unfortunately our legal foxing days with lurchers are on hold in certain countries........

i know the last to are hard to define but i still dont think they can be used to describe any of the grazers as people do

so a dog that will try and take anything PREY DRIVE ????

HARDNESS a dog that can take a foxs ect ect and do the job

GAMENESS a dog that will try even when out on his feet some dogs will die so do they become DEAD GAME :thumbs:

GOOD TOPIC :thumbs:

• Like 1

gameness is only described/shown in one way but thats not to say that the terrier that stays to ground for days taking huge stick sometimes against certain game thats twice as heavy and not every dog will tackle one fox never mind 3/4/5 a night so yes it does require gameness but its relative

Don't mistake a dog that can smash something half its weight as game. :no:

I would imagine if you said to somebody who matched dogs in the pit "my lurcher is game" you'd be laughed at.

true mate :thumbs: , but lurchers bullxs or not were bred to catch+kill game, if edible dont need that much tenacity. If not edible most bullxgreys will or should have size+tenacity to kill quarry 1/2 it weight (70-80 lb) as most foxes are only 18-20lb, but how much work they got+do in a week, will show its tenacity . But this was all pre ban, so they you go .!!

Don't mistake a dog that can smash something half its weight as game. :no:

I would imagine if you said to somebody who matched dogs in the pit "my lurcher is game" you'd be laughed at.

true mate :thumbs: , but lurchers bullxs or not were bred to catch+kill game, if edible dont need that much tenacity. If not edible most bullxgreys will or should have size+tenacity to kill quarry 1/2 it weight (70-80 lb) as most foxes are only 18-20lb, but how much work they got in a week, will show its tenacity . But this was all pre ban, so they you go .!!

Tenacity.......yes.Gameness......no. :thumbs: