Latest Addition

Its the first ever kit ive had as i haven't been into ferreting for that long (6 months) and noticed he nips quite a bit which is not bad at the moment but once them jaw muscles get working i doubt it tickles. If anyone has any tips such as age should start training or best ways to stop it nipping then id be greatfull.

What worked for me when mine were kits, was to just keep handling them. And if they were persistant in nipping, then scruff them for a couple of seconds.

Or, put something that doesn't taste nice to them on your fingers. They wont carry on much longer.

Adam.

You have started already every time you feed him handle him with in a fortnight he should have stopped nipping ,As he gets older run him threw pipes in the garden getting him used to being picked up and put down , Keep all movements slow so not to spook him and after a wee while your ferret should be fine and no be a sulker when out working . As for training for work its either in them or its no entering them with a older ferret and taking it slow about smaller burrows will help get him started .

cheers lads, guess ill just stay patient and hope for the best. Alot of the time im starting to think its just playing as it rolls on its back and tries to pull my hand in. hopefully will pass with handling and age

cheers lads, guess ill just stay patient and hope for the best. Alot of the time im starting to think its just playing as it rolls on its back and tries to pull my hand in. hopefully will pass with handling and age

it will associate your hand with play like it did with its siblings where nipping etc is normal. every time you handle him have a small offering of food and it will soon stop. but keep up with the handling and you cant go wrong imo atb mart

Handle it as much as possible....when i got my kits, if they bit me i would flick them(straight after) fairly hard on their nose.....that worked for me and its something i have done with a new ferret from a different litter. But take the comment above into consideration too.

handle it every time your feeding it,if he bites ya just give him a flick on the nose,they hates that but dont hurt him.before you bring him out start feeding him dead rabbit to get the sent.he should work grand.when im training my young ferrets i always bring a bit a cooked chicken or something with me because when i trys to catch me young ferret they always be running back in to the burrow.so a chicken leg saves abit of time

handle it every time your feeding it,if he bites ya just give him a flick on the nose,they hates that but dont hurt him.before you bring him out start feeding him dead rabbit to get the sent.he should work grand.when im training my young ferrets i always bring a bit a cooked chicken or something with me because when i trys to catch me young ferret they always be running back in to the burrow.so a chicken leg saves abit of time

flicking on the nose ???

So if I punched you on the nose it wouldn't hurt,running back into burrows sounds like you have good stock?? Or your starting them to young

Edited by Jamie m

Another hunting life expert wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

I've never had to flick a ferret on the nose in my life, what's that all about?????? just handle it loads, won't take long to get used to you. Also, if you've handled food (either human or pet food), wash your hands before picking it up.

jamie m,i wouldnt hurt any of me ferrets.they are like a member of the family to me.if i had a biting ferret i would give it a tiny flick on the nose to stop it.i wouldnt hurt it.and the reason i brings the chicken leg is for when im packing up and going home.i would show the ferrets the chicken it would save me the hassle of waiting around for ages trying to catch me ferrets....the one, im not claming to be an expert.i always feed my ferrets dead rabbits before i start training them for them to get the scent.thats the way i traines me ferrets