FOXES

Guest oldskool

Guest oldskool

a mate went out with his dad the other night and coursed a big dog fox in N. ireland... he said the bugger was snarlin with every turn and then eventually turned and tackled the dog... the dog (bitza) done him in fairly quickly but young Rafferty reckoned a lesser dog would have certainly faultered!!! are dog foxes really that difficult at this time??? i read it was to do with testostarone (spelling) levels being sky high coming up to breeding??? i've caught a few dog foxes at this time of the year and i have to say i havent seen much of a difference!!

Guest Eamon.Mc

Foxes on the lamp will sometimes turn and have a go at the dog, lets not forget they have a fair set of dentures in their head. They are like dogs some can be aggressive some not, some when they know they can not make good their escape will turn and face the dog, but all when caught will have a go. I've seen many foxes turn and have a go at the dog before being caught but the inevitable always happens, like putting Barry Mc Guigan in the ring with Evander Holyfield, depending on your dog of course. :D Seen a few sh*ite themselvs at the site of teeth in my time.And the owners :icon_redface: . But that's hunting.

Guest smoothrun

A mate lost his dog once to a dog fox at this time of the year. It was a collie x grey and he always said to me that it takes foxes single handed. I only had one dog at the time and it was laid up with injury. I had a area that was crawling with foxes and one night i was itching to get out and have a go at them so i give him a ring. All the way to the farm he was saying how good on fox it was bla bla all the same shit bullshitters spurt out. The first slip was on a great big dog fox. We called it in to 100 yards and it stopped coming so we slipped his collie x and fare enough it was off like a rocket. 50 yards the fox didnt move 30 yards it still didnt run. It got right up to the fox stopped and barked at it. I though what the f**k. The fox lunged at the dog grabing it by the throat the dog didnt make a noise. We run towards them and by time we got there the fox was gone and the dog was lying there bleeding heavily. by time we got it back to the car it bled to death. Its a case of most lurchers will course a fox but only a few will tackle a fox and even fewer will do the whole job and only the fewer should be allowed to tackle foxes. Any one else seen a lurcher loose a battle to a fox to see the fox get away?

I had what i thought was a good fox dog it took em for fun wouldnt finish some of em though once they were smashed up enough he would just bring em to drop em at your feet this dog took above fifty in three seasons then one of the local landowners aked me if i could rid his estate of em. They were all living in an old quarry and after watching the dog nearly kill itself running up and down near vertical cliffs i had a go at snaring em.

One of the main runs was on a slope near the quarry entrance and with my inexperience at snaring foxes at that time i put a wire on it result a fox caught round the middle and well angry, i could hear it soon as i got there i slipped the dog in at it to finish it off and it got the dog straight across the nose locked top and bottom he was fecked so i started down the slope and the young pup i had with me only six mth a little collie grew pulled out my hand as i was struggling down the slope run in and bit it so hard it crushed its skull in one but the damage was done the big dog would never run another it was first time he had been in a situation where a fox had had one over on him and he jibbed from that day on i can understand why the bull crosses are used for lads who do fox day in and day out

At some stage, all midddle of the road fox lurchers, will jib at foxes, BUT, not all. ;)

I had a whippet x greyhound once, that took them for plessure and face all and sundry, unbeleiavable. :icon_eek:

I once ended up at the vets with him, as a very big dog fox got hold of his neck and made shite out of it, not before he killed it first though :yes:

Amazing dog for his breeding, never seen one like him since, :blink:

Frank.

in all the years ive coursed foxes day and night ,ive never seen a fox turn and face down a dog,under pressure ive seen them turn to snap at the dog but never stand its ground,pity really as it would make catchin them a bit easier :laugh: what i have seen on a few occasions are foxes took by the backend with a young or knackered dog resulting in the fox turning to get in the first bite,usually to the face of the dog,a big tester for the dogs bottle,not just that night but also on its next fox,can make or break them.my old beddies last run on one to date was on the lamp recently was hit and rolled by him resulting in the wee runt of vixen nailing him on the face,as his years are catchin up on him he struggled to shake the fecker off,so had a bit of a help with a well aimed size 9 on which it let go,was caught again with him but this time no mistakes,he dispatched it with fury.but the silly old bugger could hardly walk afterwards,was fecking knackered :laugh:but on his next one would he bottle it,would he feck, no reverse gear with him when it comes to charlie,sadly it will probarly be his last as i dont want to see him struggle with them,not fair on the dog and the fox ;)

Never seen a fox running and stopping to turn on a dog. That story about the lurcher running up to a fox and it not moving and then killing the dog no harm mate but that sounds like a load of shit. Every fox i have had on he lamp doesnt get enough time to stand up but in saying that i have seen a couple of bad lurchers lift a fox then drop it and the fox blow himself up and spit and snapp but everytime i have seen that they dont stay long enough thats when they make a break for it and then the dog goes to the vet the next morning.

Edited by nixy

I am planning on using my 28' Staghound Bitch on Foxes. She is basically a Deer/Grey but i am also seeing abit of Wolfhound influence in her knuckles. What I cant understand is why a dog would run a fox down and then be Killed by a Fox? without fighting back? I could understand this if it was a Puppy, but an experienced fox dog? you think he would know the game. Having said this the foxes down here are not big at all.

How big was this Lurcher?

fox001.jpg

On the other hand I have seen a pic of this bloke holding a fox up by the tail. It was a Huge Mother, It probably would have been able to take down a smallish Lurcher

Edited by Mitch
Guest oldskool

Molly, the dog in the avator caught 3 foxes in august, 2 dogs and one vixen!! all 3 put up nothing worth braggin about so she killed them with ease!!! in Mullingar a fortnight or so ago she coursed, what looked to be a big dog fox, and it was snarlin and grunting on the run too... she put in a strike and missed then it skipped over a fallin tree and away across the next field out of sight... i got the feelin that if she had of caught it it would have tested her mettle, big time!!! we caught foxes in numbers a few years back but they were always doubled up and lookin back on it now i do think the january foxes were harder??

I personally saw a fox stop after a long course & stand its ground to the lurcher..........Arched up growling & basically the lurcher (Whippet/grey I think) , who was on trial , shit right out & began "baying" at the dog...........Not a particularly big fox but I think it realised it was never going to outrun the dog & thought "f**k this...........!!!!!!!".............This dog had bowled the fox twice but when it met the sharp end its arse went.......... ;)

had something similar happen , ferreting one day and along the hedge out pops a biggish fox , my 23"x bred lurcher was running at it , fox turns to face the dog and she hit it with her shoulder ,this happened quite a few times over the next minute or so , then the fox gets its arse backed up against a big thorn bush to stand its ground and the bitch is bouncing back and forth fencing with the fox , the fox turns thru the hedge and starts across the field , by this time i,m right there and was going to grab the bitch cos the fox was heading towards a busy main road, anyway bitch jumps the hedge and takes the fox by the back of its neck , then just does what she usally does , or rather did, and kills the fox in no time, did her arse drop out or was she using her head and waiting for the right moment ? the fox had a badly infected back leg and probably new it wasn,t going to outrun my bitch , so stood to fight , you got to admire them

The Gray fox i have taken with Staghounds have turned and faced the dog, one even turned and lept and hung onto my male Stags muzzle....Grays run much better, and turn much better, and the ones i have taken seemed "ballsier" as well...

Kye,..

a mate went out with his dad the other night and coursed a big dog fox in N. ireland... he said the bugger was snarlin with every turn and then eventually turned and tackled the dog... the dog (bitza) done him in fairly quickly but young Rafferty reckoned a lesser dog would have certainly faultered!!! are dog foxes really that difficult at this time??? i read it was to do with testostarone (spelling) levels being sky high coming up to breeding??? i've caught a few dog foxes at this time of the year and i have to say i havent seen much of a difference!!

Pre bulshit ban ran two lurchers bed x whippet the other saluki grey collie cross the beddie would face and kill anything no fear whatsoever done loads of foxes had some scars for his trouble,decided to get a slightly bigger lurcher as I had hell of alot of foxing work then,the saluki grey collie knocked up by mistake her first fox at thirteen months charlie peppered her face before the beddie whip got to him,after that she was mustard on them she caught one once and wrapped herself around a post lying on the floor near enough concused with the dead fox ,big difference between dogs who want it and those who dont ,seen dogs coursing foxes and not striking not mine I would hasten to add and the owners saying bad luck that ,if they wanted it they would have caught him.