deerhound crosses

Me myself, i dont prefer ANY type/breed of dog...what kind of dog i keep will depend on the quarry, and the terrain im hunting.

When i was back home, Collie or Beddie Cross' where ideal, but they wouldnt be any good for where and what i hunt know!...thats why i dont own them.

I can remember when i had a day out foxing with a mate of mine back home. He had a real nice first cross Deerhound/Greyhound called "Bess"..

She was about 28" and i would guess70-80lbs?...Well my mate invited his brother in law along, and he had a Bull cross...i dont know what percentage, bothe parents where just Bull hybrids...a real nice looking dogs, and it had killed EVERYTHING buy the time it was 16 months old..a real machine.

So we go out, and i have got my skanky, horrible old Terrier with me (which had Collie in it!..lol.) he wasnt much, but i dug a few with him...he was a handy terrier for bolting though, not realy a mixer.

So we try a few earths, nothing home, typical when your out for summat!..lol.

Then we try one place i knew of and the terrier starts marking ten feet from the hole...both lurchers are marking strongly.

The terrier slips in, and after a minute or two, starts baying...the lads hold there Lurchers back and we wait.

It wasnt a deep place, but it had about five holes...i had seen a few litters of cubs raised in it that summer.

So the terriers baying away, then it goes quite...then a fox bolts, and the Bull cross nails it about 20 yards from the hole...one bite and just ragging the hell out of it...the dog was realy shaking it to bits!...no more humane than that!

While all this is happening, the terrier has started baying again, and ANOTHER red bolts...the Deerhound Cross picks it up after a short run of about the same distance...its hits the fox, one crunch, one shake...dead.

Then the dog just amples back to us, with that slight wag of the tail that these types seem to do...all the time the Bull cross is still ragging that same fox...now the Brother in law is trying to get the Bull cross to let go of that fox, but its having none of it..lol.

Then all of a sudden a third fox bolts, and the Deerhound has it not five yards from the entrance...again, one bite, one crunch...then it just drops it and leaves it.

All the so called "Rules" where broken that day!

We bolted three MALE foxs from the same earth, and we were not being quite or anything realy...i was laughing my head of at this bloke trying to get the remains of that fox off that Bull cross!..lol.

If that Deerhound lurcher had not been there, them two other foxs would of got away...

Of course that is just one instance, and if i wanted a dog for quarry that had teeth, then i would go for a Bull cross...i just thought that this might give a different view!

Kye..

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow thanks a million lads sure opened upa ca of worms there!personally i think you should judge the individual dog on it's own merrits (or faults)and slating the whole breed/cross on the experience of one dog.you also have to consider the time you've put in parents etc.just thought i'd ask asi've not seen many about but scores of bullx's saluki x's once again thanks for all the replies roybo :D

Thats right roybo, you asked avalid question, and got some usefull answers there, the better examples coming from people with experience in the breeding, with nothing more than to help you, thats what the site is designed for, we all look forward to your next question, A tip, Judge any dog by its virtues, NOT by its shortcomings, fault finding is easy, anyone can do it... :)

in the ideal world my allrounder would have -

the speed of a greyhound,the turn of a whippet,the stamina of a saluki,the brain of a collie,the height of a deerhound,the coat of a bedlington,and the head and jaw power of the pitbull :)

but they dont exist in the real world so i keep bull crosses as my main quarry are foxes and deer ;)

i would agree with kane on his choice of dogs for rabbits,hares etc as i've had the breeds he mentioned but i am unable to comment on deerhound crosses as i have only owned one which was very good for foxes and deer but that had a large dash of bull in its breeding ;)

Kane put your ego to bed for once take your blinkers OFF and think about what you are posting, in this present climate in our country what you do is your own affair and good luck to you!

You would rather cause trouble then post some sence

Kindly put on another site you would do well to heed

The passing of Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense,

who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how

old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic

red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons

as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets

the worm and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend

more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults,

not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but

overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for

kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using

mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an

unruly student, only worsened his condition.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental

consent to administer Panadol to a student; but could not inform

the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an

abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became

contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received

better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed

to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a

little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust,

his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son,

Reason.

He is survived by three stepbrothers - I Know My Rights, I'm A

Whinger and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was

gone.

If you still remember him pass this on, if not join the majority

and do nothing.

Im not slating any cross or hybrid guys, just trying to pass crap summer months with a decent chat about dogs..

Maybe another reason that Deerhound Cross' are not as popular is the genuine lack in WORKING deerhounds?..

If i was back home, i wouldnt own a Deerhound X Greyhound...the places i hunted where to small...but i would have a Lurcher with a bit of Deerhound in it...my mate had one of the best dog i have ever seen...Deerhound/Greyhound X Collie/Greyhound...it was a belter...killed everything single handed...it could be a shit with strangers though, but not a bad thing back home, imo.

Guys, lets not all fall out over dogs...lets just talk about there different Pros and Cons...

There are good and bad in every type...One of the nicest Bull Lurchers i ever hunted with was owned buy HOTWINGS...his bitch Pipi (RIP) she wasnt a trail dog, thats for sure!..lol.

But we had many a good hunt with that bitch, and i loved her to bits...REAL sane and sensible.

Kye..

i would say deer x greys are some of the most common sighthounds used for hunting here in australia.

historically speaking, when the kangaroo was hunted with dogs they found the greyhounds got ripped far to often, and their feet left much to be desired. They crossed gh and deerhound, therefore giving a bigger dog with tougher skin which was still fast enough to run down and kill a boomer. Up to 7 feet tall they can stand, and over 80kilos.

I dont know how much you know about kangaroos but here is some info

- they will go to water and drown dogs

- we have clocked them up to 60kph(32mph) Altho 55kph is more of a consistent pace for several kilometres.

- their strength is in their legs and they will kick a dog, disembowling etc

- they seem to be smart enough to run dogs over dangerous obstacles ie fallen trees where roots are exposed - they run and jump over the spike(ive heard several old fellas recount lost dogs due to this)

- they have been known to grab dogs and squeeze them, attempting suffocation i guess by restricting their breathing

roo hunting with dogs is illegal in this country, this is all historical data, except where we have clocked them when driving along fence lines and they have been hopping in line with fence (in most cases they go under wire fencing, quite fast too mind you)

now if you were to historically hunt kangaroos, knowing the information you have above what breed would you use?

grey - fast but not tough enough

saluki - fast over distance but not tough enough

deer - big, tough and has natural instinct to go for the neck(traditionally this is the better spot for a dog to grab as they killed them quick)

whippet - too small

bull x - too slow, can have nose

wolfhound - too big, hunts with nose which you dont want

i would think a combination of maybe grey x saluki x deer would possibly be the go, but it appears the best roo dogs i have heard of were grey x deer with nothing else in them. If you were to bring other breeds, you would only want certain qualities from them, but not others, such as slowness,

MANDY EVANS , HAD A FIRST CROSS DEERHOUND GREYHOUND, ABOUT 29INCH, SHE HAD TRAINED IT WELL ,REGARDING OBEADIANCE, THO EVERYTHING IT DID ,WAS IN A TYPE OF SLOW MOTION, IT WAS BETTER AT CATCHING ON THE LAMP, THAN DAYTIME, THO IT DID MARK WARRENS AND WORK COVER, I NOTICED THE SMALLER TYPE LURCHERS I SAW WORKING AT THE SAME TIME, BEAT IT TO THE PUNCH ,WHEN IT CAME TO PICKING UP, SHE CAME WITH ME , ON A TRIP TO THE HIGHLANDS, AND I REMEMBER VERY WELL , THAT MY BITCH BESS THO 23INCH TO THE SHOULDER , SINGLE HAND RUNNING WHITE HARE UP THE HILL , RAN RINGS AROUND IT, TO BE HONEST BESS HAD WON THE FIELD TRIALS THAT YEAR ,AGAINST GOOD DOGS, BUT I THOUGHT , THE DEERHOUND CROSS WOULD HAVE DONE BETTER, ESPECIALLY COMING OF STOCK ,THAT RAN THE DAVA MOOR, I,VE OWNED AND SEEN DEERHOUND CROSSES ,THAT WITH A OTHER MIXTURE OFF WORKING DOGS IN THEM , HAVE BEEN EXCELLENT, I JUST WONDER, IN THIS DAY AND AGE ,IF YOU NEED SUCH A BIG AND POWERFULL ,DOG TO TAKE HUNTING.