deerhound crosses

don't seem to see many deerhound crosses advertised ,just wondered if any of the lads on here used them and the kind of size they get to.also whats there good/bad points many thanks Roy

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest baldie

here is my pup at 12 month old, he is deer/ grey x deer/grey, bred by dave platts, stand around 29" at the shoulder, and just about physically mature, i think. I

am going to enter him this autumn ;)

S4300069.jpg

S4300061.jpg

Although they are not Deerhound Cross', the Staghounds over here carry alot to the old type Deerhound, before the KC buggered them up...the sire to my male pup, is imo, what a Deerhound should look like and work like.

Judgeing buy the discription when you read historical writing about the Deerhounds, the Staghounds (that i have seen) are basicly what a Deerhound should be.

Kye..

Guest Nightwalker
I've had several and had good results with them.  I lost a very good young deerhound X dog to a lamping accident this last season. He was about 27" at the shoulder and he put a lot of venision and other stuff in the freezer in his short career. At the moment I have a 3/4 grey 1/4 deerhound bitch pup (the deerhound is from Platt's Odin) I deliberately picked the biggest bitch pup in the litter and at 8 months old she's 27 ½" at the shoulder at the moment and just shy of 70lbs.  I guess that she will go another ½" or so and make just about the perfect size for what I want. She has thrown strongly to the deerhound and has a huge thick rough coat and brilliant feet and is showing considerable all round promise with that wonderful ability to find game seemingly from nowhere.

Guest LEARNER

MANDY EVANS , HAD A FIRST CROSS DEERHOUND GREYHOUND, ABOUT 29INCH, SHE HAD TRAINED IT WELL ,REGARDING OBEADIANCE, THO EVERYTHING IT DID ,WAS IN A TYPE OF SLOW MOTION, IT WAS BETTER AT CATCHING ON THE LAMP, THAN DAYTIME, THO IT DID MARK WARRENS AND WORK COVER, I NOTICED THE SMALLER TYPE LURCHERS I SAW WORKING AT THE SAME TIME, BEAT IT TO THE PUNCH ,WHEN IT CAME TO PICKING UP, SHE CAME WITH ME , ON A TRIP TO THE HIGHLANDS, AND I REMEMBER VERY WELL , THAT MY BITCH BESS THO 23INCH TO THE SHOULDER , SINGLE HAND RUNNING WHITE HARE UP THE HILL , RAN RINGS AROUND IT, TO BE HONEST BESS HAD WON THE FIELD TRIALS THAT YEAR ,AGAINST GOOD DOGS, BUT I THOUGHT , THE DEERHOUND CROSS WOULD HAVE DONE BETTER, ESPECIALLY COMING OF STOCK ,THAT RAN THE DAVA MOOR, I,VE OWNED AND SEEN DEERHOUND CROSSES ,THAT WITH A OTHER MIXTURE OFF WORKING DOGS IN THEM , HAVE BEEN EXCELLENT, I JUST WONDER, IN THIS DAY AND AGE ,IF YOU NEED SUCH A BIG AND POWERFULL ,DOG TO TAKE HUNTING.