got my first ferret

good to see the young lads getting involved in ferreting.just handle him and keep in dry hutch shaded from the sun if you can.if it gets to hot freze plastic juice bottles with water and put them in beside him.soya or goats milk and occasionally the yolk of a raw egg,can mix it in with the milk.if you cant get rabbits in the summer to feed him you can get turkey legs from asda there cheap and they love it.maybe an idea to get another one for him for company but wait till the season starts.well there plenty on here will help you out if you have any questions and ATB with your new charge young man :thumbs:

• Like 1

Get out and handle him every day a few bits of pipe in the garden and get him in and out of them and by september he will be rarin to go . and just watch the heat its far worse to ferret than the cold , the rest is common sense

Try your local butchers for scraps I get hearts livers and lights often from them try to stay away from pork products or feed limited amounts of it. handle daily, clean food and water daily I remove the faeces daily and big clean out every sat morning and above all enjoy the little fella

Best of luck

JW

Good to know young people are still keen on ferrets. My first tip would be not to be scared of him biting you. He will only ever 'nip' you unless you really cheese him off. Sure, its a hard nip, but nothing deadly.

If you plan to use him for hunting I assume you know someone who hunts already. If thats the case ask him for bits of rabbit, like the head or skin. Get he used to rabbit smelling like food and he'l be a great hunter

Best thing clench your fist or knuckle they ain't stupid and know they can't get hold of you like this offer him this , I have to jills that still like to give me a little nip first thing in the morning when they're down the shed yet as soon as they get there collars on and are out working like diferent animals can even put my finger in there mouths yet wouldn't atempt it down the hutches little cows

Edited by Jamie m

keep your eyes on the asda reduced stickers i got 2 packs of liver and a pack chicken wings for £2.70

liver should only really be used as a treat or fed once a week as it has a lot of vitamin A. Unlike most vitamins, which are nearly impossible to overdose on as they are excreted if given in excess,this one is stored in the liver and too much can actually cause liver problems.

I would also get him castrated if you are not planning to breed from him, keeps the smell down

good luck with him

Hi i have just got my first ferret last night. I am 13 and been interestid in them for a bit. the ferret i have is a 1 year old hob any tip will be good thanks :-))

well done lad, if you live around the somerset area let me know if you want any ferrets can travel, dont want nothing for them ,kits and adults , just after good homes

;)