22 rimfire whats the diff

Up to 40yds max if you get a clean head shot. Really only for an experienced good shot. Not recommended, and the police rarely grant fox for a rimfire. .22lr is THE rabbit gun, and any of the .220" CF for fox.

Ric

whats the diff from 22 rimfire and the 22 center fire ? :icon_redface:

OK I'll try and make it as clear as possible.

Firstly a '.22' is the size of the 'hole' in the barrel (5.56mm if your Metric), so both 22 rimfire and 22 centrefire are 22's OK got that then?

Now it gets a bit more 'engineering' the rimfire is very well described because the 'rim' of the 'bullet' has the firing compound that makes it go

BANG inside it, however the Centrefire has a separate and dedicated 'primer' in the middle of the brass case that achieves the same thing.

The BOTTOM line is that the 22 rimfire case is also 22 in diameter and contains very little powder, but the (varied) 22 Centrefire cases are much

much larger and contain more or LOTS more powder and therefore spit that 22 bullet very much further and very much faster.

The firing pin on the rifle bolt either crushes the Rim or the Centre of the cartridge inserted.

Is that OK?

AndyF??

Up to 40yds max if you get a clean head shot. Really only for an experienced good shot. Not recommended, and the police rarely grant fox for a rimfire. .22lr is THE rabbit gun, and any of the .220" CF for fox.

Ric

40 yards... Ric, stop throwing them Specsaver appointment reminders in the bin :tongue2:

Farthest one I shot was 80 yards. Brain shot is the key. As I was shooting uphill at the time, the Eley sub went through the jawbone, through the brain and punched out the far side of the skull.

But I do very much agree with you, that kind of shooting is only for those who can consistently hit their target on paper, know their set up, have perfect conditions and a very good rest.

Otherwise ya just wound him, and that's just not smart.

A .22 RF is ample to dispatch a fox in a trap or snare; again as previously mentioned above, for a clean, accurate head shot ensuring a quick, precision & clinical kill.

Just make sure that you have a soft 'back-stop' beneath......not concrete :thumbs:

Safety comes first, there is no second chance.:no:

Edited by Urban Fox Control London