Live rabbit catching options

Again thanks gentlemen,

I am the Netherlands, UK law does not apply. Also with the current public sentiment people rather see rabbits caught alive and moved than killed. Longnetting is not an option, I lack the skills. I don't have access to ferrets either and both my dogs are hard mouthed and crunch every prey to death.

Terrain is typical rabbit country, rough edge of former baseball field, with cover and fencing. There are defined rabbit runs for sure.

The idea of live snaring is attractive. Does anyone have a description of a home made live catching snare? Or just the specs where the snare blokking point should be?

gr

Lennard

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

soft mouthed lurcher an a lamp

Dont forget long netting. OR tempting the bunny to cuddle.

Is it??   Can you point me at the legislation please Stubby?   I think that as long as the landowner is in agreement, no law would be broken?

Again thanks gentlemen,

I am the Netherlands, UK law does not apply. Also with the current public sentiment people rather see rabbits caught alive and moved than killed. Longnetting is not an option, I lack the skills. I don't have access to ferrets either and both my dogs are hard mouthed and crunch every prey to death.

Terrain is typical rabbit country, rough edge of former baseball field, with cover and fencing. There are defined rabbit runs for sure.

The idea of live snaring is attractive. Does anyone have a description of a home made live catching snare? Or just the specs where the snare blokking point should be?

gr

Lennard

Len, look on the snaring part of the forum,the bit you want is BREAK AWAY SNARES BY G, S, WATERS,all the specs are there,if you need to buy any, get in touch with WOODGA or TRAPWORKS. They are not very expensive and will last a long time ,when you set your wires keep them away from fences ,because even with stops on they will not last long,if you are setting out in the field you will have to check sevral times a day because ,a rabbit will not last to long, once the wire goes around the back legs.

Again thanks gentlemen,

gr

Lennard

Lennard it would be best to use a peg snare out in the field, you could add a stop to it to prevent it closing too far, you could also add a swivel and just use a wooden tealer rather than the metal style figure 4 to help prevent it wrapping around legs as micky mentioned, although it will happen at times..

Micky I have seen the breakaway snares but I understood that the breakaway effect is for larger game than rabbits to break out of that snare but that rabbits are killed with it?

I have to read on the forum about snares, I have trouble with what the parts are called. Believe it or not I have a hard time translating the word "tealer" ... I get urban slang or google suggestion "dealer" .

L

Micky I have seen the breakaway snares but I understood that the breakaway effect is for larger game than rabbits to break out of that snare but that rabbits are killed with it?

I have to read on the forum about snares, I have trouble with what the parts are called. Believe it or not I have a hard time translating the word "tealer" ... I get urban slang or google suggestion "dealer" .

L

In the picture of the breakaway snare, there is a small eyelet woven into the wire ,that is the stop.

The tealer is what supports the snare wire,here is a picture,one is metal, the other is wood .

mickspics006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again gentlemen,

It is clear what a tealer is now.

1) So the live catching snare functions with a stop that prevents strangeling of the rabbit when picked up in time. How big/small does the stopped loop have to be to prevent both strangeling and getting away?

2) Is a wooden peg like the ones in the picture enough to stop a rabbit pulling the wire? The pegs do not seem very long.

gr

Lennard

Edited by Lennard

stubby, i had them live traps off ya ages ago, i aint avin any luck with em lately....someone told me ive left mi scent all over em and to piss therabbits on em.......would that help??? i even see on a warrener vid to use parsley oil to cover my scent, would that work?

as moving live rabbits to a new area over here without the landowners permission would be illegal, and cruelty to wild animals act would come into play

Is it??

Can you point me at the legislation please Stubby?

I think that as long as the landowner is in agreement, no law would be broken?

as Stubby said its illegal to set any cage trap vermin free in a different place it must be disposed if humanly

atb Ginner38

as moving live rabbits to a new area over here without the landowners permission would be illegal, and cruelty to wild animals act would come into play

Is it??

Can you point me at the legislation please Stubby?

I think that as long as the landowner is in agreement, no law would be broken?

well you have answered it yourself their :hmm:

Im saying without permission, and your arguing the fact, but changing the ending to, with permission

stubby, i had them live traps off ya ages ago, i aint avin any luck with em lately....someone told me ive left mi scent all over em and to piss therabbits on em.......would that help??? i even see on a warrener vid to use parsley oil to cover my scent, would that work?

have to say, Ive never been a big beliver in the "scent" stuff, have handled traps without gloves and still caught, Id say "peeing rabbits" aint going to hurt your chances any

plenty of carrot chippings inside

if your having no luck, Ill swap a few back off ya :thumbs:

Ja dus? Er zijn wel meer dingen niet wettelijk. Wat is het doel van je opmerking?

Je moet altijd oppassen met wat je op internet zet.

De politie schijnt internet ook te gebruiken en jij gebruikt je foto en je naam.