New or Used?

Hi everyone, this can kind of be my introduction too! :)

My names Rich (as you probably have already guessed) I'm 19 from Maidstone Kent. I've not been shooting long, about a month but already wish to upgrade from my springer, an SMK 19-18. I've mostly shot targets etc in the garden but have shot a few rabbits and my gun is up to the job but I just want a more consistent accurate gun, a precharged multi shot.

I've been looking at Zinaroons (sorry if I spelt your name wrong) and have fell in love with the BSA r-10 after researching it and watching review videos etc. I also like the AA S410 Carbine so it's between these 2.

So, I've established 2 guns which I like but do I buy it new or used? Being new to the whole air rifle scene I would not have a clue what to look for in a used gun e.g faults etc. Would it really be worth getting a new gun when I could get a used one with a scope, silencer, extra mag and maybe even a bottle for the price I could get just a new gun?

And finally my last hurdle, what calibre? I've read all the "get .22 the mans calibre" comments everywhere so I'm guessing this is the calibre to get but as I'm new to air rifles would a .177 be better for the flatter trajectory?

ATB

Rich

Edited by Rich91

If you prefer a .177 buy a .177, if you prefer a .22 buy a .22!

If you want a good bargain look at the for sale section here, my wife just picked up a 2006 Daystate X2 (no fancy electronics), came complete with a Harris type bipod, Hawke MAP PRO MP 4-16x50 AO scope, with a sling and a 7 litre 300 bar divers bottle in test! Not a bad set up, yet this cost less than many second hand R10s you see on here. Dig hard and you may just find a bargain of unbelievable proportions...

If you prefer a .177 buy a .177, if you prefer a .22 buy a .22!

If you want a good bargain look at the for sale section here, my wife just picked up a 2006 Daystate X2 (no fancy electronics), came complete with a Harris type bipod, Hawke MAP PRO MP 4-16x50 AO scope, with a sling and a 7 litre 300 bar divers bottle in test! Not a bad set up, yet this cost less than many second hand R10s you see on here. Dig hard and you may just find a bargain of unbelievable proportions...

Thanks for the reply but the only thing is I've not shot a .177 before! :(

Hey you can get some cracking .22 bargains, plenty about, the for sale section in the main list (For sale :)) has some cracking bargains in both calibres (confuse everyone and buy a .2)! I was just giving an example of what can be found, have a good trawl through, bear in mind your budget and get looking.

But if you are happier with a .22 then keep with a .22! Good PCPs to look for, Air Arms S200 (cheap, full powered and accurate), BSA Super 10 (super gun, very super gun, I have one), Hatsan AT44 W10 (reliability problems now sorted and a cracking rifle). It all depends on your budget and preference. Just remember, it is your money so buy what works for you!

Edited by secretagentmole

More shots per charge with a .22 though shepp and he is used to .22! I did suggest he confuse the world and go .20 though!

Sod that Mike :feck: He obviously should go for a .25 :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

But on a more serious note!

First welcome to the Forum Rich :thumbs:

Second, if you can put a pellet where you want it to go at the ranges you use then it don't matter one Iota what cal it is.

Si's (Zini's) R-10 is a very sweet model thats been tuned to perfection by very good gunsmiths with a reputation for excellance :yes:

Add that to Si's own natural marksmanship and his knowlage of ballistics and he will put those pellets exactly where he wants them at whatever range he chooses.

The ONLY advantage of .177 over .22 is that the .177's cost less than the equivalent number of pellets in .22 :yes:

Tony

Thanks for all the replies guys really do appreciate it!

I have been on the look out for either gun in either calibre but it doesnt seem anyone is close to me. :(

There is a gun shop near me with I believe a 30 metre range so I might just have to say I'm interested in blah blah and shoot a few in different cal and see which I prefer.

Again, thanks for all the replies and welcomes. Will keep my eyes peeled for any bargains! :D (not in .2 or .25 :laugh: )

Calibre Depends on what and where you shoot these day's

Pellet Damage depends on what pellets used

Shooting @ a Club with Ranges out to 60 Metres - .177 is king

Especially with knockover targets / resets

I mainly Hunt with .177 in my Phoenix Mark Two or HW100

We all have to start somewhere -

Lucky for me I started Air Guns when in a good job

with no Mrs & Kids

Big issue as more get into Air Gun's the amount of possible Land Vermin Control work get's lost -through Land Building - population increases

As often state - thinking of starting Air Gun Shooting - Check out local Air Gun Clubs

to see what about and why others are using their choices

BOB/R

More shots per charge with a .22 though shepp and he is used to .22! I did suggest he confuse the world and go .20 though!

Well Moley, .20 could well be the elephant in the room.

It's probably the perfect caliber but the air gun trade would probably shit it self if manafucturers made just a couple more choices of pellet.

.22 could end up only being used by the few with FAC.

Hi Rich.

Both rifles of your choice are superbly accurate hunters regardless of calibre. .177 and .22 are just as effective as each other. I shoot with a .22 HW77 spring rifle that's just the most beautifully accurate air rifle I've ever shot with.

Understanding the trajectory of your pellet from your rifle and knowing how to use your scope to maximise it, is the real key to how effective a shot you will prove to be with your rifle. Whatever it's type of action is.

So the ideal calibre is the one you fully understand and feel comfortable with.

Try to get a real feel for the rifles with a test shoot of both in both calibres if you can, before you part with your cash.

Simon

• Like 1