breeding my lurcher

hi all, i have 4 year old smooth coat blue merle collie x greyhound ,( David Hancock dog) , She is very gd working dog with ferrets and nets and great on the lamp, she has jst started her season and am keen for a litter from her, any suggestions what to put across her, i want to keep couple pups for myself and would like rough coated, any help woul be great have never bred dogs before. many thanks

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my bitch is due to break down in the next couple of days and I also am wanting a rough/broken dog pup out of her, heres the stud im using, deer/greyxbeardie/grey 28-29tts

Posted Images

I'd have suggested a D'hound/H'hound or possibly a Beddie/G'hound. You could of course find a good working line-bred/lurcher to lurcher dog that is broken/rough coated and likely as not it'll have all of the crosses mentioned before mixed in there somewhere! ;)

Is your bitch a 1st x or a 3/4 G'hound? Personal preference but If it's a 1st X I'd be looking to ensure the stud dog is lighter framed so that the pups don't throw too heavy... but then again some folks like a dog with a bit of weight as it's reckoned to have a bit more stay for a day/nights work. Actually thinking about it, though I prefer a lighter framed animal, my best dog was heavier framed but for me never lacked speed except on the occasional very fit end of winter, daytime hare (preban)!

id go deer grey first cross or else 3/4 grey 1/4 deerhound if you can find a good working one, im sure trevor of cooklands deerhounds would have somthing suitable. i have great success with this cross, good genuine grafters and all rounders. good feet, more than likely broken coat specially with your bitch being a first cross, decent size and placid out, well worth a thought imho. let us know what you decide,

thanks for your reply sounds gd, my dog is very good and am more than pleased but looking for bit more

id go deer grey first cross or else 3/4 grey 1/4 deerhound if you can find a good working one, im sure trevor of cooklands deerhounds would have somthing suitable. i have great success with this cross, good genuine grafters and all rounders. good feet, more than likely broken coat decent size and placid out, well worth a thought imho. let us know what you decide,