INJURY HELP PLEASE ?

I HAVE RECENTLY GOT A BULL X ON TRIAL AND HE HAS BEEN GREAT HE IS A LITTLE UNFIT HOWEVER I HAVE HAD HIM OUT FOR TWODAYS SOLID WALKING SINCE I HAVE HAD HIM.I TOOK HIM OUT LAST NIGHT ON THE LAMP FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS AND HE WAS FINE WHEN I PUT HIM IN HIS KENNEL HOWEVER WHEN I SHOUTED HIM THIS MORNING HE IS NOT PUTTING NO WEIGHT ON HIS RIGHT LEG I CHECKED HIM OVER AND HIS RIGHT FOOT IS SWOLLEN ON THE AREA I HAVE CIRCLED I CNT FEEL THE BONES LIKE I CAN ON THE OVER FOOT DUE TO SWELLING AND HE YELPS WHEN I SQEEZE IT HAS ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEAS WHAT THIS COULD BE ??? COMENTS PLEASE

post-28436-0-86058900-1303131874_thumb.jpg

It takes more than two days walking to get a dog fit, especially a heavily built dog. I wouldn't let it run at all for at least a month unless you have a sandy beach or wet field to let it have a canter about. Ground's rock hard here and I don't let any of mine gallop now unless we're near the river where the ground is softer.

Most probably either strained tendons or ligaments or bruised the bones. Either way, ice pack to reduce inflammation, or hose for 5 minutes at a time twice a day. Keep on lead for at least a week after all the swelling and pain has gone. If the swelling doesn't go down in a couple of days then vet for xray in case its cracked a bone in the foot.

• Like 3

NO NOT YET MATE AS THE DOG IS A BIT SCARED UP AND THE VETS ARE A BIT FUNNY HERE. IT MOSTLY GRASS BUT HE RAN DOWN A A DISSUSED RAILWAY THT HAS BEEN CONCRETED IF IT IS THE WORST AND IT IS A FRACTURE WILL IT EFECT HIM WHEN IT HAS HEELED ?

No mate all I can say fractures need to be in plaster but the recovery rate is good dont worry out of plaster can look horrific, wizened and twisted, with all the fracture site swollen and distorted, but dont worry it will fill out and straighten then it can return to work in about 8 weeks all longer

It takes more than two days walking to get a dog fit, especially a heavily built dog. I wouldn't let it run at all for at least a month unless you have a sandy beach or wet field to let it have a canter about. Ground's rock hard here and I don't let any of mine gallop now unless we're near the river where the ground is softer.

Most probably either strained tendons or ligaments or bruised the bones. Either way, ice pack to reduce inflammation, or hose for 5 minutes at a time twice a day. Keep on lead for at least a week after all the swelling and pain has gone. If the swelling doesn't go down in a couple of days then vet for xray in case its cracked a bone in the foot.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY MATE GOT AN ICE PACK WOULD YOU JUST SIT AND PUT IT ON THE FOOT A COUPLE OF TIMES ADAY ?

NO NOT YET MATE AS THE DOG IS A BIT SCARED UP AND THE VETS ARE A BIT FUNNY HERE. IT MOSTLY GRASS BUT HE RAN DOWN A A DISSUSED RAILWAY THT HAS BEEN CONCRETED IF IT IS THE WORST AND IT IS A FRACTURE WILL IT EFECT HIM WHEN IT HAS HEELED ?

No mate all I can say fractures need to be in plaster but the recovery rate is good dont worry out of plaster can look horrific, wizened and twisted, with all the fracture site swollen and distorted, but dont worry it will fill out and straighten then it can return to work in about 8 weeks all longer

THANKS FOR THE REPLY MATE SEE HOW HE IS TOMORROW AND TAKE HIM TO THE VETS :big_boss:

THANKS FOR THE REPLY MATE GOT AN ICE PACK WOULD YOU JUST SIT AND PUT IT ON THE FOOT A COUPLE OF TIMES ADAY ?

Treat it like a fracture then you are covering the possibility.Once the swelling is down treat with bone radial ,three days on three days off .Keep on lead until spongines has completely gone from bone in question.If in doubt get a greyhound vet or someone who squares them up with a good reputation

this is the trouble with buying an older dog

you dont know what injury's or disease's it has suffured

unless you hunt with the lad thats getting rid

you wont be the first to get took for buying a dog that suffers after work

and you can be assured the lad will say there was nothing wrong with it

so wont be taking it back

if your in doubt mate get it xrayed hopefully it might just be a sprain

but i'd let it rest for a couple weeks then just short walks on the lead

dont let it run off the lead for at least 8wks

you dont want it spinning about on it

albert