Different keep fit ideas for your dog

Just thought I'd post a thread on different things I do to exercise my dogs, besides their daily walk and run over the golf course.

The Spring pole, I modified this out of an old Baby door way bouncer that we bought for my youngest lad when he was a baby :good: . Not all terriers will work it but those that do get a great work out from it. You should be able to pick one up cheap at a car boot or online somewhere if you fancy trying your terrier out on one. I wouldn't let them use it everyday, 3 times a week for 15 minutes each time is what I allow them to do.

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

And here's a little vid of him having a go at it -

th_MOV00004.jpg

Running machine, I wouldn't advise you use this as a replacement to walking your dogs, but it's a good aid to help keep your dogs in shape. It will take some getting used too for most dogs but the best way I found to get them used to it is to set it at a steady pace, have them tied to handle of the machine, but stand in front of them with a fox brush/rabbit pelt or even a treat or something they'll want, and they'll try and run towards you rather than being freaked out and looking for a way to try and jump off it. I'd keep the time to around 3 to 5 minutes when starting them off on it then gradually up the amount of time as they get used to using the machine, I'll let them run on it for 15 minutes everyday now. I'll put some pics up to show how I do it, when I get chance.

Laser pen, like most things some dogs will chase it some dogs wont. It is a bit of a funny one and I found it by accident whilst messing about with one of my sons laser pens, but never the less is a brilliant work out for them. If you allow your dog in the house even better because you can shine the laser pen on the floor then shine it up the stairs and back down again for the dog to chase it up and down the stairs. Again I wouldn't do it for any longer than 10 minutes in case they get bored of chasing something they can't catch, I'll use it once or twice a week.

If anyone has got any other ideas or things that they do to keep the dogs busy and keep them happy then add to the thread if you wouldn't mind sharing with us :good: .

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Just came across this as I was browsing the forum for idea's to keep the dog in shape.. Good idea with the baby bouncer as I've got one in the shed :D my terrier like hanging off the seat for zip wire in local park, great at night time not so good when kids playing on it in the day time haha.

Read in a book 2 guys walking, dog behind a few yards and the guy infront holding a rag. As the dog pulls on the lead to try and catch the guy with the rag it's using it's back legs like a muscle workout in the gym.

Read in a book 2 guys walking, dog behind a few yards and the guy infront holding a rag. As the dog pulls on the lead to try and catch the guy with the rag it's using it's back legs like a muscle workout in the gym.

For me its teaching the dog to pull on the lead and theres nothing worse than a dog pulling you on a lead

And if you take a few dogs out pulling your arm out of its sockets

For me its teaching the dog to pull on the lead and theres nothing worse than a dog pulling you on a lead

And if you take a few dogs out pulling your arm out of its sockets

I agree, but this was years ago and it's was racing whippets. The guys who done this had racing whippets to put money in their pockets and food on the table. They didn't walk them around the town to heel, just got them out roadwalking to build muscle.