What makes a good dogman

I've read a couple of topics recently questioning what makes a good dog etc.... At the end of the day, I feel it's the owner who moulds the dog. Unfortunately for the dog he can't chose his owner and any short comings in his training will be his fault. So the question I ask, in your opinion, what qualities make a good dogman?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A good dog man,Would be a good horse man if he kept horses,A good stock man if he kept cattle.Its a keen eye to see what a animal is saying without speaking,A understanding of how a animal might be th

I have no idea what my dog is thinking....and I'm almost certain she wouldn't be able to pick a good dogman out of a lineup. Most dogs have only two things on their mind whether something tastes good

f**k sake lab, you keep this up and I'll need to rethink my thoughts about you...... Again I agree with you too many people think dogs are machines, they don't want to get close to them cos they kno

I've read a couple of topics recently questioning what makes a good dog etc.... At the end of the day, I feel it's the owner who moulds the dog. Unfortunately for the dog he can't chose his owner and any short comings in his training will be his fault. So the question I ask, in your opinion, what qualities make a good dogman?

experience :thumbs:

someone who has served an apprenticeship under you baw :tongue2: especially if you run the fens :icon_redface::tongue2:

A good dog man,Would be a good horse man if he kept horses,A good stock man if he kept cattle.Its a keen eye to see what a animal is saying without speaking,A understanding of how a animal might be thinking.And while a dog cannot pick its owner,a dog can pick a "dog man" out of a crowd.

• Like 8

A good dog man,Would be a good horse man if he kept horses,A good stock man if he kept cattle.Its a keen eye to see what a animal is saying without speaking,A understanding of how a animal might be thinking.And while a dog cannot pick its owner,a dog can pick a "dog man" out of a crowd.

So f*****g true mate, well said. :notworthy:

someone who has served an apprenticeship under you baw :tongue2: especially if you run the fens :icon_redface::tongue2:

:laugh: funny you should say that Benny, ever since tomo got his permission on the fens, he has constantly been pm'n me to come down and show him the ropes!!! :big_boss:

:thumbs:

The smart lads understand how to read a dog,and know how to act when the dog is reading them,most "dog men" i know are winging it,the best i know are still teaching me things after ive been at it for 40 years.

Someone who can accept that every dog has it's foibles, limitations and quirks without passing it on the first time it comes up short. And someone who also accepts that those same foibles, limitations and quirks may well be down to his own shortcomings as a dogman.

• Like 1