dead wood !

The way l look at it you have had your dog or bitch from 8 weeks old it as giving you some off the best days you can remember in your life.

They always give you something to talk about good or bad and have put everything they have had to please you.

Why would you put a dog down or give it away a dog that has made you glad you took up hunting in the 1st place is beyond me.

A dog that has did all this deserves a place in your kennel or fire place when there to old to hunt :thumbs:

• Like 6

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand what your saying But if this animal in question has put its back out, gave all it had Everytime you were out then it deserves to be with you until its not anymore in my opinion

The way l look at it you have had your dog or bitch from 8 weeks old it as giving you some off the best days you can remember in your life. They always give you something to talk about good or bad an

last trip to the vets doesnt have to be stressfull if the dogs a worker itl be used to being in the back of the pickup just ring the vet and ask them to come out to the jeep and jab the dog there and

The way l look at it you have had your dog or bitch from 8 weeks old it as giving you some off the best days you can remember in your life.

They always give you something to talk about good or bad and have put everything they have had to please you.

Why would you put a dog down or give it away a dog that has made you glad you took up hunting in the 1st place is beyond me.

A dog that has did all this deserves a place in your kennel or fire place when there to old to hunt :thumbs:

:thumbs:

Too right - as I look down at my old warrior at my feet I know I'm doing the right thing.She looks like shit but has still got her character. She's sleeping in the house now for the first time since she was young and I think she's getting used to it pretty quick!

• Like 2

Too right - as I look down at my old warrior at my feet I know I'm doing the right thing.She looks like shit but has still got her character. She's sleeping in the house now for the first time since she was young and I think she's getting used to it pretty quick!

Yeah - good luck to you and your old bitch mate. That's the way it should be done.

last trip to the vets doesnt have to be stressfull if the dogs a worker itl be used to being in the back of the pickup just ring the vet and ask them to come out to the jeep and jab the dog there and then a good vet will do it if you explain the dogs not a house pet and you want it to have a bit of dignity in its final minutes :thumbs:

• Like 5

Well said pal :thumbs:

My bitch was 6 years old and carrying an injury that virtually curtailed her hunting days,i put a litter through her with the idea to use her to bring the pups on when the time arrived,she became a real bully with the pups and their progress was being hampered,she would never have made a suitable pet,the last walk a dog takes can be the hardest one you may have to take but a responsible owner as to make that decision.Id retire a dog to a suitable pet home if possible,if not then a sad,sad walk with fond memories of days in the field.I personally would'nt keep a retired animal,they take up kennel space that is being utilised by the next generation,i care for them just as much as the next man,but at the end of the day they are a working animal and unlike some not a member of the family.

• Like 2

I"ve put older dogs down in the past and yes I"ve done it myself, was it right well in hindsight a few probably not but it was done quickly and painlessly with the dog not knowing what was coming.

Nowadays I"m a bit older myself and looking forward hoping for a retirement in peace and good health and as I type this my 14 year old vizla who really is pretty much fecked but who has given me his all in years past is having a wander in the garden, he"s not in any pain and to be honest he"s earned his retirement.

Must be an age thing because nowadays I think all my dogs as they grow older will have and deserve there place by the harth.

Well said yep its a age thing I'm sure

My bitch was 6 years old and carrying an injury that virtually curtailed her hunting days,i put a litter through her with the idea to use her to bring the pups on when the time arrived,she became a real bully with the pups and their progress was being hampered,she would never have made a suitable pet,the last walk a dog takes can be the hardest one you may have to take but a responsible owner as to make that decision.Id retire a dog to a suitable pet home if possible,if not then a sad,sad walk with fond memories of days in the field.I personally would'nt keep a retired animal,they take up kennel space that is being utilised by the next generation,i care for them just as much as the next man,but at the end of the day they are a working animal and unlike some not a member of the family.

best post on this, this man looks like ha has fellings for his dogs but does not let that cloud his judgement = a kennel of dogs fit for perpouse.
  • Like 1

Well your missing out and talk like that gave the antis all that they needed

well this is why there not any good dogs about anymore .people need 2 get some balls and say 2 your self it anit no good so its got 2 go end of keeping dogs till there old even tho they are jackers core i dont no come on lads lol

You are entitled to your opinion,personally I would say the standard of dogs is still pretty high.

I don't think the original thread mentioned Jackers, he asked if it was good dog do you keep it ,? If it was an average dog do you get rid of it?

How does keeping a dog after its working life is finished ,mean that you have no balls? A dog that has worked its best for you ,until old age set in ,and it couldnt do it any more is entitled to a warm bed ,and some quality of life in its old age ,thats how I see it.

If that makes you laugh ,perhaps you have a unique sense of humour?

Iv got a lame bitch that wont come right and a terreir with a heart the size of a pea taking kennels up at the minit. in a way its easy to keep them were they are, but one way or another something that can do there jobs will take there kennels next year.

its sad they are now surplisse but too many people humanise dogs there main function is to carry out a job " for you ".

Then do the right thing and take them to a vets.

Don't pass them on.

they wont be going to a strange place handled by a stranger then get a neddle pushed in them, I couldnt think of a worse end for a dog :thumbdown: , nice walk for an unknown final hunting trip in the woods best way for any lurcher or terreir.

so once your dogs get a little bit old and past there sell by date you take them into the woods and spade them over the head.i only hope that once you get old your children take you into the woods and do the same to you

• Like 1

NAW MATE YE DIDNY HIT A NERVE IS THIS THE [bANNED TEXT] TIME A YEAR FUR YOUR DUGS TRY TAKEN THEM OOT IN THE WINTER ITS A BIT HARDER N FAIRER BUT A SUPPOSE SUMCUNTS GOT TAE DAE THE SUMMER THING :nono:

So we sould lock them up in the summer.:doh: Its called a walk mate.:bye:

well this is why there not any good dogs about anymore .people need 2 get some balls and say 2 your self it anit no good so its got 2 go end of keeping dogs till there old even tho they are jackers core i dont no come on lads lol

You are entitled to your opinion,personally I would say the standard of dogs is still pretty high.

I don't think the original thread mentioned Jackers, he asked if it was good dog do you keep it ,? If it was an average dog do you get rid of it?

How does keeping a dog after its working life is finished ,mean that you have no balls? A dog that has worked its best for you ,until old age set in ,and it couldnt do it any more is entitled to a warm bed ,and some quality of life in its old age ,thats how I see it.

If that makes you laugh ,perhaps you have a unique sense of humour?

Iv got a lame bitch that wont come right and a terreir with a heart the size of a pea taking kennels up at the minit. in a way its easy to keep them were they are, but one way or another something that can do there jobs will take there kennels next year.

its sad they are now surplisse but too many people humanise dogs there main function is to carry out a job " for you ".

Then do the right thing and take them to a vets.

Don't pass them on.

they wont be going to a strange place handled by a stranger then get a neddle pushed in them, I couldnt think of a worse end for a dog :thumbdown: , nice walk for an unknown final hunting trip in the woods best way for any lurcher or terreir.

so once your dogs get a little bit old and past there sell by date you take them into the woods and spade them over the head.i only hope that once you get old your children take you into the woods and do the same to you

if I didnt think thered get jail thats exactlie what id want them to do, I couldnt think of nothing worse than being in a old folks home not knowing what day of the week it is and slowly losing all dignity.

spade over head every time please.

• Like 1

NAW MATE YE DIDNY HIT A NERVE IS THIS THE [bANNED TEXT] TIME A YEAR FUR YOUR DUGS TRY TAKEN THEM OOT IN THE WINTER ITS A BIT HARDER N FAIRER BUT A SUPPOSE SUMCUNTS GOT TAE DAE THE SUMMER THING :nono:

Give you one thing.You have been well educated.Your swahili is exaleant.:whistling:

What is to old???? There is need to put any dog down when they get on in years.People should know when there dog is getting on a bit and bring a pup though when your older dog is getting on a bit.For example my bitch was 5 1/2 years old so l breed her and kept a pup back she now 6 1/2 and brought the pup though for me the pup now 1 1/2 . When the pup is 5 1/2 l do the same all over again.And my old bitch when she does not have it any more or is feeling the strain she be sprayed and brought in doors and live out the rest her life in the house with the kids.

I understand if a dog is hurt and cant do its job and needs put to sleep but no dog needs put to sleep because its got on a bit in the years.

I hate this am putting him or her to a retirement home what a load :censored: .After years off hard work for you how can anyone just kick them to the side that is why dog homes are full off luchers.

The saying (OUT OF SITE OUT OF MIND COMES INTO PLAY THERE).

• Like 3