Yes another "the state of our nation" thread

Decent parents are few and far between because they have been raised by bullying. A clip round the ear to sort the problem gives a vicious circle. They then have no parenting skills of their own and have learnt that clip gets them a result.

A clip round the ear doesnt leave a deep emotional stain,and if it does then that kid needs to get an idea of what lifes about.Like becoming a man and never standing up for himself because he,s been taught its wrong to hit out.

Never laid a finger on my kids it wasnt for me....but i dont see nothing wrong with a clip round the ear if it gets the message home....oh what terrible parenting skills !

What message does a smack round the head teach?

my daughter is 10, never been "smacked around the head" as you put it, I could never do it anyway, but she does know the meaning of no and that goes a long way. Respect is the issue here surely? :thumbs:

I agree, and don't see laying hands on a child as a way to teach respect.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My daughter is a teacher , works late into the night most nights ,and invests a hell of a lot of her free time , energy and emotion into the well being of her students , she is fighting a constant bat

the whole of are society is foooked who let it get that way every foooooking one of us we have let consecutive governments a mix of failed businessman failed barristers, wana be dictators ruin this co

Thing is gnasher little eric should know how to behave before he gets to school age

Decent parents are few and far between because they have been raised by bullying. A clip round the ear to sort the problem gives a vicious circle. They then have no parenting skills of their own and have learnt that clip gets them a result.

A clip round the ear doesnt leave a deep emotional stain,and if it does then that kid needs to get an idea of what lifes about.Like becoming a man and never standing up for himself because he,s been taught its wrong to hit out.

Never laid a finger on my kids it wasnt for me....but i dont see nothing wrong with a clip round the ear if it gets the message home....oh what terrible parenting skills !

my daughter is 10, never been "smacked around the head" as you put it, I could never do it anyway, but she does know the meaning of no and that goes a long way. Respect is the issue here surely? :thumbs:

I agree, and don't see laying hands on a child as a way to teach respect.

but what if the parents don't know and I think that this is a lot of the problem these days, respect went into the recycle bin a long time ago :thumbs:

One of the reasons it is right not to be allowed at school.

One mans clip is anothers smack.

And thats where we just have to put trust in teachers to do the right thing......as citizens we put a certain element of trust in the police to make tough decisions and use correct judgement......so we should do the same with teachers.

Unfortunately everyones frightened of their own shadow and have to tip toe about through fear of offending or upsetting someone.....society is getting weaker and weaker not stronger and stronger.....so what works and what doesnt.

And thats where we just have to put trust in teachers to do the right thing......as citizens we put a certain element of trust in the police to make tough decisions and use correct judgement......so we should do the same with teachers.

Unfortunately everyones frightened of their own shadow and have to tip toe about through fear of offending or upsetting someone.....society is getting weaker and weaker not stronger and stronger.....so what works and what doesnt.

and how very true this is, but somewhere along the way WE let it happen.

The only thing some kid's understand is a good whack. I have never hit my 21 year old son but my 20 year old son has had a few whacks in his time. He tells me that if he wasn't so scared of me he would be in prison now!!! He has actually thanked me for it. All kids are different. Some only learn the hard way. I didthumbs.gif

no steady on......clip round the ear not smack round the head dont go putting words in my mouth.

a clip round the ear gets a kids attention,well it certainly did me anyway....with some harsh words it did the trick a lot quicker than the harsh words alone.....

no teacher would smack a kid of mine around the head a second time....theres a difference.

Why does it have to be a them and us situation?

I don't just plonk my kids off at school and think they are someone else's responsibility for the next 6 hours.

Communication between parents and teachers, both singing from the same hymn sheet.

I was cursed at school for this comparison but....teaching kids is very much like teaching dogs.

Don't set them up to fail, don't ask too much to quickly and be consistent.

The only thing some kid's understand is a good whack. I have never hit my 21 year old son but my 20 year old son has had a few whacks in his time. He tells me that if he wasn't so scared of me he would be in prison now!!! He has actually thanked me for it. All kids are different. Some only learn the hard way. I didthumbs.gif

no steady on......clip round the ear not smack round the head dont go putting words in my mouth.

a clip round the ear gets a kids attention,well it certainly did me anyway....with some harsh words it did the trick a lot quicker than the harsh words alone.....

no teacher would smack a kid of mine around the head a second time....theres a difference.

Proof of point.

Why does it have to be a them and us situation?

I don't just plonk my kids off at school and think they are someone else's responsibility for the next 6 hours.

Communication between parents and teachers, both singing from the same hymn sheet.

I was cursed at school for this comparison but....teaching kids is very much like teaching dogs.

Don't set them up to fail, don't ask too much to quickly and be consistent.

but most parents do just "dump their kids" in breakfast and after school clubs. :(

I blame parents.

Teachers are there to teach subjects in the classroom, they are not employed to teach moral values and correct behaviour. That is the job of the people who decided it would be nice to bring that child into the world. You see on TV in places like Africa, they come out of huts with mud floors dressed in clean school uniforms. The classroom is silent and the kids grasp every bit of knowledge they can because they know what real poverty is.

They know and appreciate how lucky there are to be getting an education which there family's can go hungry to give them.

I guess it's the same with everything, if people are given without it being earnt then they will never value what is given.

Too many in this country are so acutely away of there rights and entitlements but have utter disregard for there responsibilities.

WEll said mate. :thumbs:

By your reasoning gnasher should have clipped his kids but didnt,but he used to get clipped by the sound of it and i bet it wasnt for been good.Thats not aimed at you gnasher its for 6pack.

Edited by twobob

I blame parents.

Teachers are there to teach subjects in the classroom, they are not employed to teach moral values and correct behaviour. That is the job of the people who decided it would be nice to bring that child into the world. You see on TV in places like Africa, they come out of huts with mud floors dressed in clean school uniforms. The classroom is silent and the kids grasp every bit of knowledge they can because they know what real poverty is.

They know and appreciate how lucky there are to be getting an education which there family's can go hungry to give them.

I guess it's the same with everything, if people are given without it being earnt then they will never value what is given.

Too many in this country are so acutely away of there rights and entitlements but have utter disregard for there responsibilities.

WEll said mate. :thumbs:

Sorry teachers are employed to teach moral values and correct behaviour.Other wise it wil conflict will good parenting.Its just that some teach as they think fit.Big ego small brain.:whistling:

When I was a kid I didn't have an XBox or Wii. I had a pushbike and a curfew, a.k.a. the street lights. I lived outside, not inside. If I didn't eat what my mum made then I didn't eat. Life wasn't hard, it was Life. And I survived! I drank water out of a hose and hand sanitizer didn't exist, but you COULD get your mouth washed out with soap for swearing and it wasnt child abuse!

just pinched this :thumbs:

All the "do-gooders" are to blame for most of the problems we have today.

When some kid is a bad apple it seems that "its not their fault" nobody these days is made to face the fact they are responsible for their own actions,i had a relative that worked as a child social worker,talking to her and her friends it was easy to see how this mess happened.

I beleive violence begets violence and dont really agree with teachers being allowed to hit kids,but the kids these days know they cant be touched and it gives them a free hand to act up.

I grew up on a council estate in the 60's 70's,we had a local copper,he lived on the estate and knew all of us local lads,when he came across us fighting he did'nt stop it,so long as it was a reasonable match he would just referee it,make you shake hands at the end and i cant honestly remember anyone turning up afterwards with his mates/brothers to "square it up" you fought on your own 2 feet and that was that.

These days the coppers would arrest you,most likely you would get community hours and still be at loggerheads with your opponent,nothing solved,not a change for the better in my opinion.

By your reasoning gnasher should have clipped his kids but didnt,but he used to get clipped by the sound of it and i bet it wasnt for been good.Thats not aimed at you gnasher its for 6pack.

I just think its something each individual has to make a decision on,its not for everyone.... i got plenty of clips,slippers,canes...my school was very strict....but as a big strong fella it just wasnt for me my kids were my babies i was a complete soft touch....but i can fully understand why parents would its not like they are dishing out a beating thats going to emotionally scar a kid...it makes me laugh all these new age ideas of parenting when the fact is we have the worst disciplined kids of any other generation in history !!....maybe these new age ideas just dont work !

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1