why do keepers hate lurchers so much

i live just outside liverpool and every keeper i aproch states he hates lurchers i am a verry polite and knowlidgeable i ask if i can clear some

rabits its alway the same anser no am afraid lurchers chase birds as a mater of fact my dogs go feriting in a chiken run and dont blat an eyelid

is it not that the hawks pose a greater threat to the keeper and his stock i understand they are there t make a living but whats the harm of someone bolting a few rabits thanks for reading dave 17

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

couldnt agree anymore than that.. there are good AND bad in all forms of sport. I live in the valleys of lambourn, lambourn and the fenns are THE place to test any long dog to a WINTER Hare. The day

We do estates, most keepers don't mind them, and many have them, it's not the dog they have a problem with, it's usually the guy attached to it. Mind you, saying that, there are just some nasty b****

Was keeping out of this but can no longer!   WILL YOU PLEASE SHUT THE f**k UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   its obvious you know not alot and have got all your info from a book or hear say. if every

It's the usual thing mate, a few bad apples spoiling it for everyone. I can think of 3 keepers who keep lurchers (myself included), but against that, every keeper I know has had problems with lurchermen poaching, and when it's your livelihood at risk, it's easier and safer to say no. Might be worth trying to get to know the keeper through a bit of beating etc first, so he knows he can trust you.

James

Its just the way it is fella. Keepers hate lurchers as much if not more than foxes. I should imagine they did before the gun was even invented (in the kings hunting forests) and still will 500 years from now. The lurcher is the poachers dog and the poacher and keeper are old enemys, its really as simple as that! However, a steady fox killing lurcher really opens a keepers eyes, "my enemys enemy is my friend" and all that.

There are keepers out there working lurchers, even keepers on some of the highest quality estates in the country as well as your more modest DIY keepers (like myself). In my experience a keeper is just as happy to see a fox in the jaws of a lurcher as they are in the cross hairs of their 243. But most wont even entertain the idea.

Just the way it is and the way it probably always will be!

Start beating if your remotely interested, earn the keepers trust. Permission doesnt come easy!

The vast majority of keepers work long arduous hours,few days off,pay not brilliant,the majority of times they meet lurchers is when they are chasing poachers about,ruining there hard work.Its not the dogs they have a problem with its the owners.If you want to get on the keepers side then prove yourself first.If you come across one of the miserable tw*ts,that no matter how hard you try,won't give you the time of day,then fall back on plan A.

The vast majority of keepers work long arduous hours,few days off,pay not brilliant,the majority of times they meet lurchers is when they are chasing poachers about,ruining there hard work.Its not the dogs they have a problem with its the owners.If you want to get on the keepers side then prove yourself first.If you come across one of the miserable tw*ts,that no matter how hard you try,won't give you the time of day,then fall back on plan A.

:thumbs:

What a lot of lads don't realise is just how many folks ask for permission it gets bloody boring to be honest as they want to come and hunt but don't want to help in any way and it isn't just lads with lurchers its people with guns as well some lads give the old I,m doing you a favour by getting rid of vermin well get real that's no favour I get paid to do it and enjoy it. you would be surprised what doors a few days beating will open though :thumbs:

• Like 1

We do estates, most keepers don't mind them, and many have them, it's not the dog they have a problem with, it's usually the guy attached to it. Mind you, saying that, there are just some nasty b*****ds about.

• Like 4

We do estates, most keepers don't mind them, and many have them, it's not the dog they have a problem with, it's usually the guy attached to it. Mind you, saying that, there are just some nasty b*****ds about.

Dead right I know some so called keepers that are total wankers think they are god and everyone else is shite on their shoes no matter who you are

• Like 1

Dead right I know some so called keepers that are total wankers think they are god and everyone else is shite on their shoes no matter who you are

my area is just outside lord darbys i think hey may be under preasure pff him though as there very quick to point out they work for darbs

my area is just outside lord darbys i think hey may be under preasure pff him though as there very quick to point out they work for darbs

Aye your probably not far wrong.

couldnt agree anymore than that.. there are good AND bad in all forms of sport.

I live in the valleys of lambourn, lambourn and the fenns are THE place to test any long dog to a WINTER Hare.

The days are gone when a callout of coursers resulted in a few lads on 'foot' running their dogs, now seems the craze to drive the fields, following the dogs course, ripping up the field(Remember, this is a livielyhood for the tenant farmer, he too has bills to pay, a family to feed),through fences, gateways, the keepers cover crops, the list goes on...

Due to these facts, although i have ground i have done the terrierworks/vermin control on a couple of estates/farms for in excess of 17yrs, i could STILL not get the opportunity to use a lurcher.

Its a great shame, as like many, i like to watch ANY breed of dog at work.

Affraidthe future doesnt look bright for the lurcher enthusiasts due to the minority ruining the sport for the genuine honest lads.

• Like 7

couldnt agree anymore than that.. there are good AND bad in all forms of sport.

I live in the valleys of lambourn, lambourn and the fenns are THE place to test any long dog to a WINTER Hare.

The days are gone when a callout of coursers resulted in a few lads on 'foot' running their dogs, now seems the craze to drive the fields, following the dogs course, ripping up the field(Remember, this is a livielyhood for the tenant farmer, he too has bills to pay, a family to feed),through fences, gateways, the keepers cover crops, the list goes on...

Due to these facts, although i have ground i have done the terrierworks/vermin control on a couple of estates/farms for in excess of 17yrs, i could STILL not get the opportunity to use a lurcher.

Its a great shame, as like many, i like to watch ANY breed of dog at work.

Affraidthe future doesnt look bright for the lurcher enthusiasts due to the minority ruining the sport for the genuine honest lads.

so true mate,the land i work my dogs it's taken me about 10years before i could take my lurcher.when i first ask got told:nono: and dont take the piss,now iv'e got 2000acre of ferreting & lamping :thumbs: