rideing bike to keep dogs fit

JUST START OF SLOWLY ,THEN WORK YOUR WAY UP SO YOU DON,T DAMAGE PADS,I,M AT THE STAGE NOW WERE I CAN GET ON THE BIKE AND RIDE 20/30 MILE ADAY WITH MY DOGS AND THATS WERE I WANT THEM 2 BE AS I,LL BE TAKEING THEM CAMPING SOON IN THE NORTH PENNIES WHICH IT IS 32 MILE AWAY ON CIRCLE PATHS THATS HOW DO THINGS IN THE SUMMER :thumbs:

20 - 30 mile a day on bike??????

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JUST START OF SLOWLY ,THEN WORK YOUR WAY UP SO YOU DON,T DAMAGE PADS,I,M AT THE STAGE NOW WERE I CAN GET ON THE BIKE AND RIDE 20/30 MILE ADAY WITH MY DOGS AND THATS WERE I WANT THEM 2 BE AS I,LL BE TA

been doing this a few years now on mountain bike,just go steady keep your eye on dog,, if it tyres stop and give it a rest,my bull x can pull me one mile on road,,but i do it late at night when no car

go out no the bike alot with my bitch you just got to be on the look out for things the dog will wunt to chace i let dog run free when its safe and let her set the pace and i crash alot to

Edited by dpb82uk

JUST START OF SLOWLY ,THEN WORK YOUR WAY UP SO YOU DON,T DAMAGE PADS,I,M AT THE STAGE NOW WERE I CAN GET ON THE BIKE AND RIDE 20/30 MILE IN A DAY WITH MY DOGS AND THATS WERE I WANT THEM 2 BE AS I,LL BE TAKEING THEM CAMPING SOON IN THE NORTH PENNIES WHICH IT IS 32 MILE AWAY ON CIRCLE PATHS THATS HOW DO THINGS IN THE SUMMER :thumbs:

not every day ,but the last few years i,ve takeing them camping with me and the kids and they do that kind od distance no bother over a period of time usually takes us 10 hours thats with plenty of rest a fluids and i don,t do on mad hot days ,i normally do about 25/30 miles a week on the bike and the rest on foot

JUST START OF SLOWLY ,THEN WORK YOUR WAY UP SO YOU DON,T DAMAGE PADS,I,M AT THE STAGE NOW WERE I CAN GET ON THE BIKE AND RIDE 20/30 MILE IN A DAY WITH MY DOGS AND THATS WERE I WANT THEM 2 BE AS I,LL BE TAKEING THEM CAMPING SOON IN THE NORTH PENNIES WHICH IT IS 32 MILE AWAY ON CIRCLE PATHS THATS HOW DO THINGS IN THE SUMMER :thumbs:

not every day ,but the last few years i,ve takeing them camping with me and the kids and they do that kind od distance no bother over a period of time usually takes us 10 hours thats with plenty of rest a fluids and i don,t do on mad hot days ,i normally do about 25/30 miles a week on the bike and the rest on foot

A week that more like a day was going say no dog needs that not even the best off coursing dogs.Take my own on holiday every September up till Donegal for week get them fit before the season starts few nights lamping bit ferreting and few runs on the beach but this time year l just let them lie up and get they ready for the shows.Think the summer is time off rest and bit crack at the shows :thumbs:

Where do you run them? Just round country lanes? I would not trust my dog on the road with lots of cars.

ATB Mike

i use it on the road, when on country lanes, i let the dog off to just run with the bike.

Its good on roads, even busy ones, the thing keeps the dog on the inside, and just take it steady.

Where do you run them? Just round country lanes? I would not trust my dog on the road with lots of cars.

ATB Mike

i use old railway lines they get used as cycle paths now they go for miles they link up all over the country like coast 2 coast link for example even without the dogs it still a goo ride out :thumbs:

i asked an old guy i knew about doing this and he said not to do long distance running with them as they become more stamina runners than sprint, i didn't understand why. he seems to think they lose pace through doind it?

The old guy is correct. Look into "Fast and Slow Twitch Muscle Fibers" if your interested. You never see a boxer running a marathon before a fight. Short, intense training is the best type of training for running dogs.

Edited by littletimmy

Hi Brosco. I use the springer. It works very well. Just like others have said. Start slow and watch how the dog is handling it. If you can teach the dog to jog as opposed to sprint. Then you can add variety to your workouts. Distance a couple times a week. Sprints a couple more.

Good luck

i asked an old guy i knew about doing this and he said not to do long distance running with them as they become more stamina runners than sprint, i didn't understand why. he seems to think they lose pace through doind it?

The old guy is correct. Look into "Fast and Slow Twitch Muscle Fibers" if your interested. You never see a boxer running a marathon before a fight. Short, intense training is the best type of training for running dogs.

spot on with both threads, 1st i dont start till july,after they have had mot +wormed with vet. couple mile 1st week, then build up to 5 mile, which is plenty enough.You want the dog to run with (all 4 feet on the gound at once), i think they call it the riding-trot. Do couple miles riding-trot, then 4-5 mins sprinting. 4-5 days is enough to keep them fit,then couple days just walking+mooching about. If you do to much they will get jaded. This what ido its worked for me, and ive had alot of hard+good nights, and long days :thumbs:

Bryn

he looks fit enough to me

msg-6933-1271070938.jpg

spot on with both threads, 1st i dont start till july,after they have had mot +wormed with vet. couple mile 1st week, then build up to 5 mile, which is plenty enough.You want the dog to run with (all 4 feet on the gound at once), i think they call it the riding-trot. Do couple miles riding-trot, then 4-5 mins sprinting. 4-5 days is enough to keep them fit,then couple days just walking+mooching about. If you do to much they will get jaded. This what ido its worked for me, and ive had alot of hard+good nights, and long days :thumbs:

Bryn

msg-6933-1271070938.jpg

I never get sick of seeing this dog. He's fantastic. :yes:

Bryn

msg-6933-1271070938.jpg

I never get sick of seeing this dog. He's fantastic. :yes:

thanks mate, :thumbs: its a old pic of him, but he keeps his shape all year round,. You dont see many 1xs like him , i dont think.!