beddy/whippet/greyhound x spaniel

i was talking to a lad the other day and he knows someone that is breeding a small fine boned springer spaniel that he uses for beating with a working beddy/whippet/greyhound , its a wierd cross but does anyone think that it may have some uses ? :hmm: apparently the beddy whippet greyhound is 24" , does anybody think these pups would sell ? i dont no what to make of this lads idea :hmm:

i think he wanted to make a bushing , ferreting and beating dog to be honest not a lurcher as he allready has the beddy/whippet/greyhound for that job

Then the Spaniel (unadulterated) is the animal for the job! You'd not be gaining anything by crossing with a lurcher.

I suppose his thought is to breed an ace bushing dog, with the nose and trainability of the spaniel and the speed of the lurcher to actually catch. Wonderful idea in theory and the odd pup may work, but most will be crap in comparison to either parent at their individual job. And he will then realize why he got a spaniel and a lurcher in the first place.

Can't see a Spaniel adding anything to a Lurcher, or a Lurcher adding anything to a Spaniel !! So a pretty pointless cross in my opinion. Lurchers have their job; and Spaniels have theirs. Obviously some one will post that they have a Spaniel/Lurcher cross that is a world beater, but I'd still not have one !

Cheers.

Personally I would have the spaniel for bushing and the lurcher for catching.

As said above the pups won't bush aswell as the busher or catch as well as the catcher I wouldn't of thought.

Ive got a bushing JRT and a Sal/Whip/Grey but would I feck breed the 2!

i think he wanted to make a bushing , ferreting and beating dog to be honest not a lurcher as he allready has the beddy/whippet/greyhound for that job

Then the Spaniel (unadulterated) is the animal for the job! You'd not be gaining anything by crossing with a lurcher.

Saw some spaniels working on the weekend think id sooner have a good nosed lurcher such as a beddy x, wasnt impresed at all with these dogs, im sure if a soft mouthed retriever is your need then a spaniel is the one, but dont forget a good nosed lurcher can do anything a spaniel can do, but if you need more than such as bushing ferreting and all then a good nosed lurcher is a much better choice

IMHO its madness to breed these two but no doubt good scrounging dogs might be produced i would be more worried about finding homes for any spare pups out of the litter as mongrels are not the choice of dog as a pet like they were 40 years ago.I have in the past been asked to breed springer russels out of my small type springers but have refused on the basis that [bANNED TEXT] i breed pure springers homes are not hard to find.atb dell

Saw some spaniels working on the weekend think id sooner have a good nosed lurcher such as a beddy x, wasnt impresed at all with these dogs, im sure if a soft mouthed retriever is your need then a spaniel is the one, but dont forget a good nosed lurcher can do anything a spaniel can do, but if you need more than such as bushing ferreting and all then a good nosed lurcher is a much better choice

:laugh:

:thumbs: