Out shooting with Simon and Andy 21/03/11

Hi Si

Yep, I'm well up for some lamping shooting with you mate. Give us a bell and get yourself up whenever you want to, as often as you like. I think the place needs it as I'm not seeing very much activity in daylight hours but, there's a hell of a lot going on in the dark.

Sell TX200...get R10..

...Oh God what do I do?? :blink::angel:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi SiYep, I'm well up for some lamping shooting with you mate. Give us a bell and get yourself up whenever you want to, as often as you like. I think the place needs it as I'm not seeing very much activity in daylight hours but, there's a hell of a lot going on in the dark.Sell TX200...get R10.....Oh God what do I do?? :blink::angel:

Keep the tx and all your rifles and get the r10 aswel as, thats what credit cards and massive rifle cabinets are for :thumbs:

P.s dont forget you will be wanting a lamp too by the sounds of it and a large game bag :laugh: :laugh:

.atb. .ste.

Give us a bell and get yourself up whenever you want to, as often as you like.

Wow what a gent hey lads. You cant repay kindness like that.

Thanks Simon buddy.

Ill come up Thursday afternoon again then pal at 1200 hrs at yours if thats ok and then we can do some practicing and then try and bag a few for you and Ian the farmer once it gets dark. Hopefully others will be able to make it too.

I think a .177 will be better for you at night when lamping pal as the range estimation task becomes 100% worse than normal unless you are confident at ranging in the dark so giving yourself that little bit of a flatter trajectory and edge assisting you no end.

Im really crap at range estimation in the dark so will be keeping my shots down to about 28 metres max with my .22 mate.

I do this as I have worked out that I have a point blank range from 7m to 28 m from my 25 metre zero that stays within 2cm and I know I will get good clean kills.

Regarding the r10.

If I was better off id of kept every rifle Ive ever owned as I love guns, but if funds for you arent so sweet at the moment in this recession I would think about what rifles that you dont shoot so much if at all and let them go buddy if you really wanted a r10 or other PCP and can afford to let them go mate.

When I go to Canada at the end of the month I will leave my 7 litre 300 bar bottle and gauge with you Simon if you want pal to look after for me and use at your leisure which should knock your extra charging gear cost down to zero buddy.

I saw a nice r10 today at Drapers Air Gun Centre in Nottingham with a BSA VC silencer fitted and a lovely patterned walnut stock brand new. I think that you would have loved it pal. Shame that it wasnt a left handed stock.

ATB

Si

Edited by zini

Great write up, both of you. Great pics too. Would love the chance to join up with you all for a days shoot, as its only 3hrs drive one way :blink:

Simon, PCP seems at first to be the devils work hahaha, but they do have their place in airgun evolution, in fact Im pretty sure the very first big game/big calibre rifles were pre charged pump ups and were developed long before springers, so another way of looking at it ( just to settle the conscience ofcourse!), is to think of it as going back to grass roots shooting, improved with modern technology :)

looks like you fellas had a blinding day out, and cracking shooting from 3 seriously excellent shooters :notworthy:

marks right about the pre charged rifles coming first too, this might interest you lads-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/thread/1296928404/This+is+just+to+cool+not+to+spread+around

now thats a serious pneumatic!!!

cheers, wurz

edited to say- its a looker too :blink: , a genuine beauty

Thank you both lads.

I have to say, I have become genuinely smitten with the potential this beautiful little rifle of Si's has to offer. It does give a very comfortable reach to the target at 50 to 63 metres we were shooting to and the smoothness of it's firing cycle reduces a few of the variables you have to control with a recoiling spring rifle.

In other words. Shot for shot, I can match anything the R10 can do with my HW77 for long range accuracy but, I soon knew, from even this little bit of a try-out, I have to work a fair bit harder to accomplish it with the HW77 . The R10 makes it easier to achieve using the same techniques as I use for spring rifle shooting. I would worry though, that a rifle as sweet as this R10 is, would dilute my skills with a spring rifle that have taken a lifetime to aquire and hone.

Dammit but, I just don't know what to do about this.

But don't you just love this Girandoni air rifle of the Lewis and Clark expedition? Amazing how all if not most of the features of a pre-charged, magazine fed multi-shot air rifle are all present in a rifle dating back over 200 years. It must have seemed like a a weapon from God in an era when smoothbore powder and ball was everything.

I'd love to try a perfectly made copy of it to see what it was like to shoot with. :thumbs: :thumbs:

But over a thousand strokes of a pump to charge it? Hmmm.

Simon

Thanks for doing the right up, Si :thumbs:

I had a thoruoghly enjoyable days shooting with you and Simon, it was good to meet up. I have to say what a pleasure it was to shoot with your R10, it really is a very well sorted bit of kit. I tried an Ultra a couple of years back before I settled on the 410 and TBH, I didn't really like it but that R10 of your's is lovely to shoot.

I'm up for a bit of lamping at the end of the week, Friday would be best for me as I've got the day free but I could manage Thursday but not until late afternoon. I've got my own gear so no need for me to borrow your's.

Thanks for all the kind comments, lads and many thanks to Simon and Si for a top days shooting :thumbs:

Cheers.

Looks like I'm going to save for the R10 and keep my TX200 rifle. It's too good to let go. Even if I don't shoot with it as much as I should. Work's getting a bit dry right now.

Markha, is your S400 left-handed?

For the lamping foray Si, I have my TX200HC .177 carbine. It's an incredibly accurate rifle and reliable as it gets with a superb Bushnell 4-14x50 scope. I think that should do it!

No worries if you want me to store and keep your shooting kit safe with me while you are away in Canada. Sure mate. It'll be safer than safe with me!

Thursday 1200 it shall be Si mate. :thumbs:

Simon

I had a thoruoghly enjoyable days shooting with you and Simon, it was good to meet up. I have to say what a pleasure it was to shoot with your R10, it really is a very well sorted bit of kit. I tried an Ultra a couple of years back before I settled on the 410 and TBH, I didn't really like it but that R10 of your's is lovely to shoot.

I'm up for a bit of lamping at the end of the week, Friday would be best for me as I've got the day free but I could manage Thursday but not until late afternoon. I've got my own gear so no need for me to borrow your's.

Thanks for all the kind comments, lads and many thanks to Simon and Si for a top days shooting :thumbs:

Cheers.

Andy could you make it over with us on Thursday afternoon if you can make it over and say, meet up with us at the same field? We'll have a session on Friday if that's a no-go!

Simon

Cheers.

Andy could you make it over with us on Thursday afternoon if you can make it over and say, meet up with us at the same field? We'll have a session on Friday if that's a no-go!

Simon

Hi, Simon.

I can do Thursday no problem, mate, I've a few things I need to do but I should be able to get to the shoot by about five ish.

See you then :thumbs:

Im ok for Thursday then Andy and will be at Simons at 1200 hrs sharp and see you at 1700 hrs.

Should be a great event.

Si

Edited by zini