New net

Jamie m

Well all thought I'd pick up some longnets second hand now the seasons up for most hoping to get a couple of bargains , got a 100 yrd quickset arived today got it on another forum 50 quid plus posting only 4z thought it would be handy as a second net, and I'm not overly impresed the top and botum lines are not the usual heavy duty stuff doesn't look very sturdy at all , has 17 poles with gromits so no probs there haven't opend it yet to check the bating ,? Not sure I want to , but do you think these thin to say the least lines will be ok it looks as though it may of been used cheers guys j .

Well all thought I'd pick up some longnets second hand now the seasons up for most hoping to get a couple of bargains , got a 100 yrd quickset arived today got it on another forum 50 quid plus posting only 4z thought it would be handy as a second net, and I'm not overly impresed the top and botum lines are not the usual heavy duty stuff doesn't look very sturdy at all , has 17 poles with gromits so no probs there haven't opend it yet to check the bating ,? Not sure I want to , but do you think these thin to say the least lines will be ok it looks as though it may of been used cheers guys j .

Your best bet is to throw the 6z you have in the bin and use the 4z if you want to catch rabbits. Even 1.5 mm braid has a breaking strain of 45 kilos so you will not snap it with normal usage of the net. A rabbit will chew through a 3mm line just as quick as 1.5mm so nothing lost there. One thing though measure the distance between the poles and count the meshes there should be 18 full meshes for each yard of net for 100% slack in the net and get some more poles for the net. 7 yards will be alright on a football field but on undulating ground you need the poles at the most 5 yards apart.

TC

Your best bet is to throw the 6z you have in the bin and use the 4z if you want to catch rabbits. Even 1.5 mm braid has a breaking strain of 45 kilos so you will not snap it with normal usage of the net. A rabbit will chew through a 3mm line just as quick as 1.5mm so nothing lost there. One thing though measure the distance between the poles and count the meshes there should be 18 full meshes for each yard of net for 100% slack in the net and get some more poles for the net. 7 yards will be alright on a football field but on undulating ground you need the poles at the most 5 yards apart.

TC

I've been out with longnets a few times this season and the two lads I was with said they prefer. 6z as it picks up less crap if using in wooded areas the one I've got is a 4z will have a look at it on the lawn so you think the thin top and botum lines will be ok cheers j

Edited by Jamie m

I've been out with longnets a few times this season and the two lads I was with said they prefer. 6z as it picks up less crap if using in wooded areas the one I've got is a 4z will have a look at it on the lawn so you think the thin top and botum lines will be ok cheers j

I have been out with nets for the last 30 years fish and rabbits and please believe me when I tell you 4z will out catch 6z 2 to 1. As for picking up rubbish all nets pick up rubbish some more than others granted. But what would you prefer to do spend more time taking rabbits out of the net or less time cleaning it?

I use 1.5mm lines on my nets and have never had one snap under strain yet. Although, I have had them snap when a rabbit has chewed part way through the line and I have not noticed, but that is my fault for not checking.

TC

I have been out with nets for the last 30 years fish and rabbits and please believe me when I tell you 4z will out catch 6z 2 to 1. As for picking up rubbish all nets pick up rubbish some more than others granted. But what would you prefer to do spend more time taking rabbits out of the net or less time cleaning it?

I use 1.5mm lines on my nets and have never had one snap under strain yet. Although, I have had them snap when a rabbit has chewed part way through the line and I have not noticed, but that is my fault for not checking.

TC

4z for me aswell ive seen rabbite bounce of 6z

• 2 months later...

TC

Allan

How can I tell the difference between the 4z and 6z net if I do not have them both together.

Is there a certain way they are tied.????

Allan

How can I tell the difference between the 4z and 6z net if I do not have them both together.

:laugh: Good question!!!! How can I explain it in words? Weight is a major factor the diameter of the twine is another. Without haveing them side by side to compare, to a person who is not familar with them it is bloody hard to say the least. If you were buying a sheet of the net one way would be to pick up the wrapped sheet in the middle, with a 4z net the ends of the net should bend and be almost touching beneath your hand a 6z sheet would not bend that far. However, that is not a foolproof method as some 4z's have a heavier coating of bonding and that makes the twine stiffer. Another way would be to weigh the whole sheet, a sheet of 4z weighs 2.3 kilos if the sheet is heavier than that it is 6z. I supose you could measure the diameter of the twine with either a micrometer or a vernier caliper.

Sorry thats the best I can do.

TC

Allan

:laugh: Good question!!!! How can I explain it in words? Weight is a major factor the diameter of the twine is another. Without haveing them side by side to compare, to a person who is not familar with them it is bloody hard to say the least. If you were buying a sheet of the net one way would be to pick up the wrapped sheet in the middle, with a 4z net the ends of the net should bend and be almost touching beneath your hand a 6z sheet would not bend that far. However, that is not a foolproof method as some 4z's have a heavier coating of bonding and that makes the twine stiffer. Another way would be to weigh the whole sheet, a sheet of 4z weighs 2.3 kilos if the sheet is heavier than that it is 6z. I supose you could measure the diameter of the twine with either a micrometer or a vernier caliper.

Sorry thats the best I can do.

TC

You refer to a sheet,???? What size is a sheet before it is doctored.????

Allan are you going to the Welsh.????

Roy

I am going to the Welsh, but not sure what day yet.

A sheet of netting is 1800 meshes approx 200yards of stretched mesh in 100mm / 4" mesh if you know how many meshes the net you have is you can work out the weight from the weight of a full sheet 2.3 kilos. IE 10 yards of net with 100% bagging is 180 meshes so that is 230g in 4z.

TC

Edited by tiercel