.25 Who uses it.

To get a decent ballistic co-efficient with a .25 pellet, it needs to be heavier than one of the smaller pellets. This means that it must be fired slower to remain under the 12 ft.lb limit, and so the trajectory is even more rainbow like than the .22. This is the main reason it's not so popular for non-FAC air rifles. There are a few manufacturers who make their models in .25 but these are normally rifles that start out as much higher powered hunters, in the states and other places where there are no power restrictions. They are then "de-rated" to make them UK friendly.

In sub 12 ft.lb, the .25 has few advantages, and many disadvantages in comparison to the lighter, smaller calibers. It retains a lot of energy to range, but the trajectory is so pronounced that your range estimation needs to be absolutely precise to prevent a miss over or under the target.

They make fantastic rat guns at short range, but aren't brilliant for longer range stuff (in my opinion) though as with all these things, there are people who have learnt the trajectory and use them to great effect.

I think Matt's answer has it right Mikey. You'll really need to keep things reasonably close to get the best out of .25 in sub 12ft/lbs. It's at it's best with around 20-30 ft/lbs up its skirts.

Simon

Ive also been thinking about .25 Hatsan make there new striker in .25, has anyone any experience with it? Or Hatsan springers in general?

Moley will be along shortly to sing the praises of Hatsan! ;)

And I'm sure several people that know what they're talking about will be along to put him straight!

• Like 2

Thats a lampstand not a Hatstand!

I know some people do not rate Hatsan springers, some people do, horses for courses. They cannot be compared to top line springers like HW, medium line like Diana, but they are a good starter gun! Some people only like buying new and if price is a problem, Hatsan deliver a nice gun for the money!

Would not like any sub 12 ft/lb springer in .25, would be able to put an inflight movie on the pellet!

Edited by secretagentmole

Thats a lampstand not a Hatstand!

I know some people do not rate Hatsan springers, some people do, horses for courses. They cannot be compared to top line springers like HW, medium line like Diana, but they are a good starter gun! Some people only like buying new and if price is a problem, Hatsan deliver a nice gun for the money!

Would not like any sub 12 ft/lb springer in .25, would be able to put an inflight movie on the pellet!

Moley calm down mate, light hearted banter and all that, plus I did say it was a 'Hatstand'-'ardlamp' and yes not bad guns at all, and devastating in your hands :)

To get a decent ballistic co-efficient with a .25 pellet, it needs to be heavier than one of the smaller pellets. This means that it must be fired slower to remain under the 12 ft.lb limit, and so the trajectory is even more rainbow like than the .22. This is the main reason it's not so popular for non-FAC air rifles. There are a few manufacturers who make their models in .25 but these are normally rifles that start out as much higher powered hunters, in the states and other places where there are no power restrictions. They are then "de-rated" to make them UK friendly.

In sub 12 ft.lb, the .25 has few advantages, and many disadvantages in comparison to the lighter, smaller calibers. It retains a lot of energy to range, but the trajectory is so pronounced that your range estimation needs to be absolutely precise to prevent a miss over or under the target.

They make fantastic rat guns at short range, but aren't brilliant for longer range stuff (in my opinion) though as with all these things, there are people who have learnt the trajectory and use them to great effect.

Hi bud.Had a BSA Magnum got of a friend.Let my sons mate have it six years ago.Its the only one i have ever seen.At 25 yards it was bang on.Now trying to track it down as i would love to have it back and do it up.:thumbs:

Mole did not read the lamp bit, doh, lights not on! :doh: Getting right of the 60S models now, superfluous to requirements, be sad to se my first proper air rifle I owned go, the first air rifle I actually, personally owned was a B2, lol, just got it for a bit of backyard fun and plinking and it gave me the bug back! We did not think it was a good rifle to go hunting with!

I think we got the PCP bug now, but I am never buying a Daystate. I could get another motorbike for that much money!

Edited by secretagentmole