LURCHER PUP POO IS BLACK

MY 16WK OLD LURCHER IS FED ON DOG MINCE FROM LOCAL BUTCHERS + HES HAD A SKINNED RABBIT YESTERDAY

THE LAST FEW DAYS HES HAD BAD WIND AND NOW I HAVE NOTICED HIS POO IS BLACK AND RUNNY

IS THIS NORMAL?? IS IT BECAUSE THE FOODS RICH??

TAKIN HIM 2 VETS @ 6PM TONITE

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT

ATB

GRUBSY

would say it was the rabbit mate bit to young and his inside just not used till it yet :thumbs:

THANKS MATE

DO YOU THINK DOG MINCE FROM BUTCHERS OK?? ITS GOT LITES ETC IN AND NO BONE

think they have abit of bone in if its the same as our butcher..pet mince its called?about 30p a pound

Save your $$$$. When a dog/pup gets on flesh or new feed for the first time its unsettling for the animal. It's like if you hopped on a plane and flew to Mexico and indulged in the local food. :sick: If you been out in the woods you'll see fox.coyote.wolves all crap black as 80-90% of thier diet is flesh. The Black color is un and digested blood. BUT IF YOU SEE BLOOD in the STOOL [red} could be worms whipp/hook or a medical problem that deserves a vet's attention. Good luck

• Like 1

hi mate, i wouldn't panic, i have a pack of beagles and vary their diet between nuts and flesh, if i give them fresh deer carcas today then the pen is like there was a herd of cattle in it during the night!! jet black goo all over the place.... after a few more days of flesh they settle back a bit but always with dogs on flesh the pens will always be dirtier,

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR REPLYS :)

TOOK HIM TO THE VETS. THEY CHECKED EVERTHING AND SAID HE SEEMS FINE, VITAL ORGANS / TEMPERATURE / HAPPIENESS ETC

BUT SAID BLACK POO MAY BE CAUSED BY BLEEDING (BLOOD PASSES THROUGH AND AFTER DIGESTED TURNS BLACK)

DIDNT RECOMMEND FEEDING HIM MEAT / RABBITS JUST ADVISED TO GET HIM ON AGOOD BALANCED DRY PUPPY MIX.

GAVE ME SOME (PAID FOR SOME) TINNED BLAND MEET TO FEED HIM SOLELY FOR THE NEXT 3DAYS AND COLLECT SAMPLE STOOLS TO TAKE BACK MONDAY.

ALSO GIVEN SOME ANTIBIOTICS & FLUID FOR HIM TO TAKE JUST IN CASE.

I AM NOW £70 LIGHTER + WILL BE CHARGED AGAIN MONDAY + IF STOOLS NEED TO BE TESTED THAT WILL BE EXTRA TOO!

DONT BEGRUDGE PAYING IT JUST WISHED I BLOODY LISTENED AT SCHOOL SO I COULD RIP PEOPLE OFF LOL.

you just gave the money for nothing

as dougal says mate, you just got stroked, no need to go near a vet and your pup isn't to young to be eating rabbit, i've had litters of pups 4/5 weeks old taking a full carcess down to the bone with no problems. personally i would forget the puppy meal and get it on the barf. i went 10 years without having to go near a vet until the bitch broke her leg there and barring this one i havn't a good thing to say about them.

• Like 2

Digested blood from an upper gastrointestinal bleed will turn the stool black but so will high meat diets, I would question the antibiotics if there is no evidence of infection, these should not be prescribed unless there is evidence as it just increases proliferation of multi resistant strains of bacteria, and also the fluid if there is no evidence of dehydration. The stool can be tested for blood but I would not test it till you have only fed complete for a couple of days or you could get a false positive. A blood test FBC should be taken to check for anaemia. If all clear I’d gradually re introduce meat to the diet.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You get used to how your dogs poo changes with its diet. Mine had some rabbit the other day and her poo was black the next day. If she has raw lamb bone they go a really pale colour and very dry. I would only worry and take the dog to the vet if they are unusual for a period of time, over a week depending on how unusual they are. It might also be worth giving some biscuit type food too as it keeps their teeth and gums healthy.