Retired terriers

I keep a good dog as long as it can still line a bitch, kept an old dog till it was 15 got a current dog at near 12 bitchs i cull when there working days are done the same as average dogs,my parents in the past used to have the odd retired dog or bitch if i was fond of them,to me when they are old and retired there taking up kennel space for newer stock coming on

regards hedz

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its only fair to give an old warrior a comfy retirement i have an old lakie that done me proud who now lives in the back room but spends most of his life mooching around the garden then come in to a c

My old bitch has earned her last few years in the house sleeping by the fire

Blind and deaf, still be a lot happier than some of us. A bit respect i think, after all those years you should of built up a great friendship with the dog as well, would you not want and try to sta

Posted Images

sire to my lad is 13 and he wont be put down until he is too old to enjoy life, hes the pride of the kennel and theres still lads offering to buy him despite his age and despite the fact he's to old to work, he is now enjoying his new career as a stud dog. :big_boss:

sire to my lad is 13 and he wont be put down until he is too old to enjoy life, hes the pride of the kennel and theres still lads offering to buy him despite his age and despite the fact he's to old to work, he is now enjoying his new career as a stud dog. :big_boss:

this is my old boy hes 12 you could stil dig him but i dont if he lives tow a 100 ill stil keep him hes done me proud

post-62757-0-41716000-1307564951_thumb.jpg

My old dog had to finially be pts,not by choice but by need as he had spent almost 3 days to ground in a shore in the garden of the estate where i live.My daughter was giving all my dogs fresh water and he got out by her and was of.This dog was stone deaf and almost completely blind.She searched for him about the gardens then phoned me to say he had got out.I knew straight away where he was and when i got home i went to the entrance to the shore and it was freshly kicked out.This shore runs al over the gardens as many years ago there was an old work house in them so he could have been anywhere.I could not collar another dog as i have said earlier on in this thread that he does not tolerate another dog and would try kill it.I knew i could not call him out so it was just a waiting game.He got out on a wedensday and came back on the saturday afternoon in a very bad state.He was a very hard dog when working so you can imagine the state of him after nearly 3 days.I put him in the van and drove out to a quiet place where he was often exercised and that was his last run.Anyone that seen him work will agree he was 1 hell of a dog that gave no respect to quarry and took al that was threw at him.Rip Rusty.

My old dog had to finially be pts,not by choice but by need as he had spent almost 3 days to ground in a shore in the garden of the estate where i live.My daughter was giving all my dogs fresh water and he got out by her and was of.This dog was stone deaf and almost completely blind.She searched for him about the gardens then phoned me to say he had got out.I knew straight away where he was and when i got home i went to the entrance to the shore and it was freshly kicked out.This shore runs al over the gardens as many years ago there was an old work house in them so he could have been anywhere.I could not collar another dog as i have said earlier on in this thread that he does not tolerate another dog and would try kill it.I knew i could not call him out so it was just a waiting game.He got out on a wedensday and came back on the saturday afternoon in a very bad state.He was a very hard dog when working so you can imagine the state of him after nearly 3 days.I put him in the van and drove out to a quiet place where he was often exercised and that was his last run.Anyone that seen him work will agree he was 1 hell of a dog that gave no respect to quarry and took al that was threw at him.Rip Rusty.

sorry 2 hear that. and you will find u will nver have another rusty

Edited by riddler21

sorry 2 hear that. and you will find u will nver have another rusty

great dog never forget my first day out with fatman geat dig to rusty deaf and blind giving it hell some dog mini weaton heart of a lion..mad as his owner..and see many more digs to the dog over the next cpl season cheers lads

its only fair to give an old warrior a comfy retirement i have an old lakie that done me proud who now lives in the back room but spends most of his life mooching around the garden then come in to a com fy bed at night , he s a misrable grumpy old git at the best of times and i sometimes wonder how long i ll put up with him

couldnt agree more mate. i have a old lakeland type fell who's just the same, a miserable old so and so but he's served me well and earnt his place by the fire

cant remember how many times we dug to him he was 1 hell of a dog set the bar very high for the rest of the terriers to reach but we will give it a good go fat man R.I.P RUSTY atb wipeout :notworthy::notworthy::thumbs:

I agree that pts is the most humane option if the terrier is suffering from an illness etc, but, I feel it would be a shame to show utmost loyalty, work your heart out for a cause, never to fail, puting your life at risk with every effort, and when your body cant physically handle anymore damage, you are repaid for your countless efforts by being discarded or thrown away like yesterdays trash is nothing more than a selfish act and more fecked up then a wanker tasteing lolly pop. I mean where is the loyalty in that?? I feel it speaks volumes about anyone's character who would do such. It's one thing if the terrier doesn't make the grade or is ill, but to put an old faithful warrior down that has never failed you just because time or past injuries prevents him from working is unfair and selfish! Has he not PROVEN his worth in the past????

I wonder how many folk are keeping the dog alive for there own selfish reasons and not thinking of the dog? If its retired, blind, deaf or has any illness then surely its the right thing to pts....no its not easy when the dog has given you many a happy day but think of the dog. Cant see why a working dog would want to watch you leave the yard everyday with the young dogs when it wants to go and work and panning it off to lie infront of the fire at someones house its bound to be shite for it lying there wondering when your coming back for it........ :thumbdown:

I think PTS should be changed to PTR......"Put to Rest" cause thats exactly what you have done for your wee warrior....... :thumbs:

• Like 1

so what your saying is you have a terrier that did three days in ground with game, but if you had put in another terrier to ground behind him, he would come off the" game hes working" to fight the dog behind him, to be honest putting up a post asking what guys do with retired working terriers, is some thing a novice would do, working terriers that have spent most of there live been dug and live to 12 years old, are rear indeed, and when you get a terrier like that you dont have to come on an internet forum asking others there opinions, i think it speaks a lot also about the lads that back up your posts, and never came to the defense of the retired wonder dog !

I wonder how many folk are keeping the dog alive for there own selfish reasons and not thinking of the dog? If its retired, blind, deaf or has any illness then surely its the right thing to pts....no its not easy when the dog has given you many a happy day but think of the dog. Cant see why a working dog would want to watch you leave the yard everyday with the young dogs when it wants to go and work and panning it off to lie infront of the fire at someones house its bound to be shite for it lying there wondering when your coming back for it........ :thumbdown:

I think PTS should be changed to PTR......"Put to Rest" cause thats exactly what you have done for your wee warrior....... :thumbs:

Cock on! :thumbs: my sentiments exactly

Some dogs dont want to retire, even though to continue grafting would kill them. Forcing them to retire breaks this sort of dogs spirit.

IMO culling a retired dog is no different to culling a failure, I dont believe for a minute that dogs work for us they work for themselves because its in their blood, its their addiction. A dog that fails to make the grade doesnt necessarily want to please its owner any less, but it doesnt have the minerals for the job its owner wants. So for me culling is culling no matter the reason and if you follow that path sentimentallity doesnt come into it.

Just for the record, I wouldnt cull a healthy retired dog that still was able to get out for little jobs here and there but a dog that is consigned to the yard and short walks that you can see the spirit withering from it, knowing it wont be going, everytime you leave with the other dogs I would and with a very clear conscience! But I also have absolutely no problem with people that cull as soon as the dog cant put in a decent level of work any more to make way for youngsters, as my lamping partners do. JMO though :thumbs:

Dealer..i started a thread asking people did they keep their old retired dogs on the yard or did they cull and make room for young blood.I was never talking about my own dog,i just mentioned that i had one.As for your question would he leave his game to fight another dog,well i know he would on top if he got within striking distance,as i said he was a liability around other dogs.When he was younger he was fine its when he went blind and deaf things started to go bad,so i could not risk puting another dog to ground and maybe end up losing 2,if you knew the shores in question you would understand,parts of it are undigible as they run under the house's.The dog in question was 3 quarter lakey quarter wheaton so well capable of doing a lot of harm to another terrier.And as far as being a novice for asking a question about retired terriers,i understood that's what this forum is all about,chating about diging dogs to like minded people,and im diging as long and longer than a lot on here,no offence to anyone but im no novice,how long you been at it dealer,or does your user name refer to what you are.

• Like 1

Cock on! :thumbs: my sentiments exactly

Some dogs dont want to retire, even though to continue grafting would kill them. Forcing them to retire breaks this sort of dogs spirit.

IMO culling a retired dog is no different to culling a failure, I dont believe for a minute that dogs work for us they work for themselves because its in their blood, its their addiction. A dog that fails to make the grade doesnt necessarily want to please its owner any less, but it doesnt have the minerals for the job its owner wants. So for me culling is culling no matter the reason and if you follow that path sentimentallity doesnt come into it.

Just for the record, I wouldnt cull a healthy retired dog that still was able to get out for little jobs here and there but a dog that is consigned to the yard and short walks that you can see the spirit withering from it, knowing it wont be going, everytime you leave with the other dogs I would and with a very clear conscience! But I also have absolutely no problem with people that cull as soon as the dog cant put in a decent level of work any more to make way for youngsters, as my lamping partners do. JMO though :thumbs:

you must be a right hunter you mate been able to cull dogs so easily please learn me more mister lol lol