RATTING Vs DIGGING

Guest Eamon.Mc

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Eamon.Mc
A big hole...had fox in it.its mates dog to ground in the in pick.plucky little bitch for a plummer,you'l be owning one next. 3 half grown ones that day.lurchers included.got more picks,just new at this computer lark and adding picks, will post more if intrested?

I'll be getting a Plummer?????????? I don't think so mate, we don't have rabbits with flick knives in Ireland. Everything we hunt has real teeth!

just to throw a spanner in the works, a few have stated a terrier is not a true worker if he just takes rats could the same be said of a lurcher that only takes rabbits not charlie..theres a good few terriers and lurchers out there that are indifferent to take anything are they not what should be discribed as non workers..rats can and do bite back and can make a mess of dogs face as you all know not always easy targets..prehaps the all rounder is just more versatile..cheers

Guest ooty

iv seen good and bad in all terriers,mates that work jacks,patts,etc,got one bringing on a young sealeym at mo,takes a good bit of stick from his other dogs(and us) but doesnt back down,seen some good very hard beddlingtons over in wales,believe it or not plummers are all individual,some will stay to ground on th biggest of teeth for hours, some wont go to ground there whole life no matter how carefully entered but worth keeping for their nose and very handy for ratting if you have plenty to do,personly i love the mayhem of half a dozon terriers going mad as rats fly everywhere, or posably the odd tooled up rabbit,im looking forward to the outcome of that one as dont see meny in Norfolk either but the day i do i hope i got me camara on me as im sure one of my dogs will stick to it,id say all terrier work is fun and a lot of people only get the chance to work one quarry or own one dog,so to me it should all be about what you enjoyand the sport you can get,i was lucky as a tougster,my dad and his brother both keepers on large estates and no silly laws on hunting with dogs,

Edited by ooty
Guest pip
just to throw a spanner in the works, a few have stated a terrier is not a true worker if he just takes rats could the same be said of a lurcher that only takes rabbits not charlie..theres a good few terriers and lurchers out there that are indifferent to take anything are they not what should be discribed as non workers..rats can and do bite back and can make a mess of dogs face as you all know not always easy targets..prehaps the all rounder is just more versatile..cheers

A working terrier should go to ground,hence the name so any terrier that doesn t go to ground is doing nothing different than your average mongrel ratter.

Totally different ball game a running dog is just that, a running dog bred to run down and kill whatever you hunt.

Not even the same argument. :wallbash:

A working terrier should go to ground,hence the name so any terrier that doesn t go to ground is doing nothing different than your average mongrel ratter.

Totally different ball game a running dog is just that, a running dog bred to run down and kill whatever you hunt.

totally agree with pip on this one,the title WORKER can ONLY be given to a terrier that goes to ground,and bottles up his quarry and stays untill dug, not a ratter,not a bushing dog,and not a bolter, they are all sporting terriers but when the shit hits the fan its only the true worker that will stay the distance. reddog!!!! a rat making a mess of a dogs face???? youve got to be joking

Edited by dev
Guest ooty

live hand retrieve is what i require of my lurchers,less its got big teeth then killed is good!!!
any FAILED worker would make a decent ratter
Just to start off, a digging lad posted a thread and got abuse so he deleted his own thread . People on here gave him stick about the pics he posted. Now I've noticed that going back through threads that everyone back slaps and comments on dogs killing rats, i.e packs of dogs tearing rats apart. Now I'm by no means getting at anyone who goes ratting, I do a fair bit in the closed digging season. Now why is it that pics can be posted of rats being ripped apart by 1 or more terriers with pics of bloodied terriers out ratting but when a genuine digging lad puts a few pics up of his dogs after a dig he get's torn apart??? Bearing in mind a terrier that is dug to is facing a formiddable oponent usualy the same size or bigger than itself, it is inevitable he will take a hit or 2 even dogs ratting get bitten and bleed so can all you assholes that slabber and give digging lads abuse because of their threads not just feck off and sit behind your keyboards and go visit the crufts doggy site instead of bringing your shite on here. Real guys out there hunting their dogs and working them have enough to deal with, antis and such like that it's a pain in the arse when you come onto a so called hunting forum to be slagged off by so called hunters. If you don't like what you see then don't look or even better don't comment, I'd realy like to see some threads from those of you that posted negative comments about other peoples digs and pics, I'd bet we'd be lucky if even a 1/3 of yous go into the fields with your prized show dogs.Keep ratting boys and posting pics they're great, it's a pity those of us that are digging and sharing our exploits don't be seen in the same light by the armchair hunters out there.

EMC,

Of course digging would be the tops,but I think ratting is a good exercise,that hones the speed,reflexes,and is especially good for younger dogs/pups,OR if nothing is available.I agree,too much arguing,and putting folks down for what they do.Lots of folks want to poke fun,and make somebody just not want to post pics,or stories,for fear of being bashed.I prefer a one on one if possible,but if it's too much,and need the reinforcements,there's nothing wrong with that in my book.However too many people are two-faced,and THEY will use 2 or more if needed,but if somebody else does,they complain.And I also agree that rather than get blasted by your fellow dogloving hunter,you should have their support,for love of the working dog,especially when there are SO MANY opposed to us,even owning these dogs,let alone allowing them to do,what GOD intended.Some I figure,just like to heckle for the heck of it,no harm intended,but there are some,who are very rude and spiteful,that should just keep their pieholes shut,and negative opinions to themselves.I'm with you EMC,

uru

Guest pip

I haven t read the whole thread but i doubt if people are condeming ratting.I wrote a letter to the CMW about 5 years ago saying about no one writing about digging their dogs anymore and about 5 weeks later and the "experts" where still writing articles on "the versitility of the working terrier"quoting my small letter as there inspiration?Thats when i stopped buying the crap.

Most terriermen who love the dogs and have great admiration for a good dogknow what a terrier should do and thats go to ground and bolt or bottle the quarry up till you dig down and secure it.What pissed me off at the shows is lads showing these wee mites 1ft long 10" high and 10Ib weight and the judge picking them over a good strong fine example of an animal.For anyone goes to shows and digs too can you imagine one of them wee things bottling stuff up in a big burrow with big tubes and working for hours maybe???Ask yourselves the question,can you see the dogs being showed holding stuff in a hard hole.I got told i should have had the dog clipped up and "walking right"?I was doing all i could to make sure it didn t eat the dog in front.

So to cut a long story short lads,true terriermen who dig and breed best to best,have a problem with people breeding off ratters not ratting,its not and never was the plumb line.

are these soft nose antis for real? :censored:

RATS ARE NOTHING BUT VERMIN

RATS DO NOTHING IN THE ECO SYSTEM OF THINGS TO HELP

all soap dodging antis should be 1 at a time taken onto a pig farm pushed into a stall alive with tailums running over there feet then offered a terrier on alead to keep the vermin away from there nice new wellies they borrowed off there mammys. theyl choose the dog every time.

personly i love to see two terriers fighting over a big rat and pulling it in half before trotting off tails wagging both thinking they won the tug of war :angel:

THE TIME TO TAKE OUR COUNRTY BACK FROM DO-GOODERS IS NEAR

sorry to get pollitical but its just cost me £80 to fill my van up!!!! :censored:

So to cut a long story short lads,true terriermen who dig and breed best to best,have a problem with people breeding off ratters not ratting,its not and never was the plumb line.

This is the truth mate .If ,in speaking to a lad ,he openly said his dog was just a ratter i would avoid the breeding but respect him for telling me the truth .Previously in the thread ,i stuck my neck out and said that a LARGE number of rats will test a dog and i stand by that .Offers have been made to people who slated me since but strangely no-one has said they will bring their little dog along for me to see 'slaying large numbers with ease'.We all know ,or should know what a terriers job is but its not the only test .If any more doubters would like to arrange a day with me in the future then pm me and we can see what your stuff is made of .

Guest ooty

obviously those that have never had tere dogs in the middle of 100s of rats dont no what it takes for a dog to keep going back for bite after painfull bite.meny dogs will start getting half harted after a few sharp rats have locked on the nose.others?more pain more gain.