Great day out again

I was asked by one of the keepers to sort a couple of hedgerows and a small spinney for today, rude to refuse as they say. The crew came down eager as ever to get stuck in, we also took the terriers as we had been told there were a couple of charlies about. We started just across the road from my house, the first hedgerow was pretty sparse but the few sets threw up an average of 2 rabbits for 6 holes and they bolted really well, for a change. As we got to the top of the field the rabbits came more often and soon the bag was adding up, by 10.30 we had 30 in the van so things looking good. As there was a hedgerow covered in ivy we decided to leave that one even though tilly was marking just about every hole, they seem to be lots of young in these ivy covered hedgerows as they keep much warmer.

We crossed the road to do a spinney that had a maize strip either side of it, we knew that rats would be a problem here even though the keeper is doing a good job poisioning them.

As we thought we did have a few longy's running through the nets but the terriers soon saw these off, I also did my bit digging a few and pulling them out with the tails and throwing them to the dogs, without any bites thankfully. We were told there were some charlies in here but as we left a bit stretch where most of the rats were we probably missed the earth holding them. Once again Byron (vaseline kid) was working well and was eager to dig but not so eager to stick his hands in with the long'y present, we told him they dont bite but somehow he didnt believe us :whistling: I swear that Stevo's turrets syndrome is getting much worse, you should have heard him today he was well on form, Steve was telling me that stevo got an ear ache from his missus when she saw that last video with him swearing, tut tut.

We were getting a sweat on as the weather got warmer but the bunnies kept bolting well and we were on a mission, not long before we end now so the 1000 rabbits for the season might be a struggle, we are not far off though. We just need a couple more days like these and we might just do it, we will just have to pick the areas to avoid the young ones.

As the rain was starting to move in we decided to call it a day and as always the last one was a pain, we didnt have many digs but this was a 4 footer with plenty of stone thrown in for good luck. It took a good 30 minutes to recover the ferret and rabbit as it dragged it away a few times and gave us some grief, plus a good soaking in the process.

I did take my camera and got some excellent pics and video but the memory card decided that it didn't want to play and took its ball back, (cannot play back image) F**king thing dont know what happened but tried it since and seems ok maybe the card wasnt inserted properly.

Well thats how it goes but even so the daily bag was a respectable 54 with a few rats and an enjoyable day, dogs men and all.

nice one,another good day,good read also.

when the rats hit the net,how do yous deal with them?suprised the ferrets dont catch anything off them

Most rats run through the mesh and straight back into another hole, unfortunately for them the terriers had other plans today, I pulled one out as fat as a rabbit today, it was full of young and before it hit the ground it was mince. One of the ferrets had a bite on its face, it dont usually bother them but a couple of weeks ago one nearly lost an eye through a rat.

Got a few rats to move shortly, wont use ferrets though because if the ferret backs up a couple of rats it could be in trouble, them rats will fight to the death.