hunting in lancashire

DIDO.1

Driving around industrial lancashire its hard to believe some of the hunting that used to exsist in the area. There were quite a few packs of harriers in the past, the Belmont, the Bolton, the Ashton, the Aspull and hounds kept in whitle-le-woods. You wouldnt be able to have one meet in most of those areas now never mind running a pack 2 days a week.

I have read a report of a buck found in Shevington near Wigan that was hunted through Parbold then Wrightington eventually taken at Worden in front of the hall at Leyland. That run would of followed what is now the line of the M6.

Any way I would really like to collect any info about these old packs from old stories to names and facts about Masters and huntsmen etc. I would ideally like to find the location of the old kennels and maybe photograph the areas today. Also looking for old photos if poss. If I can collect enough info I plan to put it together as a book.

If anyone has any thing that might help or can just point me in the direction of any leads id be most greatfull.

Cheers.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I follow the Holcombe hunt whenever I can if ya need any contact details let me know

I remember getting a bit of opportunist work for the terriers of the holcombe hunt 30odd yrs ago me and a mate had been up the back of the deerplay checking the drains and earths ,we watched them run

Hi there,

The older packs have inaffect been incorporated into the holcombe. Its the old packs that are fast disapearing into the mists of time that im interested in, those who's meets and kennels are now in the middle of towns. I will speak to the holcombe secretary when I see her tho, I guess that will be a good start for some leads.

Hey Dido, i used to whip-in to the Vale of Lune Harrier back in the mid 90s, They had alot of good country , most in North West Lancashire and getting on for Westmoorland/Cumbria, i do recall some of the old boys talking about the Oxenholme Staghounds, here is a very good link to some old packs more on the westmooreland side but still good reading and some great old photo's Oxenholme Staghounds

Im really interested in the the disfunct packs in west lancs and im aware that there are still some good hound sport to be found on the outskirts if youknow where to look, really thanks for the replys tho most interesting and appreciated.

:thumbs:

I follow the Holcombe hunt whenever I can if ya need any contact details let me know :thumbs:

I was a gamekeeper in holcombe country for a while and Iv met the hunt sec recently. I actually made a wine rack for the masters house, didnt realise thats who it was for till I delivered it and saw the red coat in the tack room!

Iv been meaning to start riding to hounds again and was goin to hav a day with holcombe to ease myself back into the saddle, time goes so quick iv not got round to it this season tho.

Cheers

there still is alot packs in lanchire well north and east lancshire but arent they mostly private packs

I am from East Lancashire and only know of one pack which is the Hodder Valley and they are now a gun pack. Is there any round here that run the hounds still?

They always were a gun pack. What do you mean 'run the hounds still'? There are 3 registered packs of harriers, 1 of foxhounds and 1 pack of beagles that meet in lancs at times. plus at least 3 other pirate packs.