hunting in lancashire

DIDO.1

there still is alot packs in lanchire well north and east lancshire but arent they mostly private packs

I am from East Lancashire and only know of one pack which is the Hodder Valley and they are now a gun pack. Is there any round here that run the hounds still?

They always were a gun pack. What do you mean 'run the hounds still'? There are 3 registered packs of harriers, 1 of foxhounds and 1 pack of beagles that meet in lancs at times. plus at least 3 other pirate packs.

:laugh: and the rest :laugh:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I follow the Holcombe hunt whenever I can if ya need any contact details let me know

I remember getting a bit of opportunist work for the terriers of the holcombe hunt 30odd yrs ago me and a mate had been up the back of the deerplay checking the drains and earths ,we watched them run

to research hunts that no longer exist try contacting the hunts that still exist and ask who used to hunt next to them you will

be surprised by the info you can glean , start with the Cheshire's and Cheshire forest , then work your way north, ask the lake land packs if the hunted at joint meet in lancs , its all there :thumbs:

Edited by gonetoearth

to research hunts that no longer exist try contacting the hunts that still exist and ask who used to hunt next to them you will

be surprised by the info you can glean , start with the Cheshire's and Cheshire forest , then work your way north, ask the lake land packs if the hunted at joint meet in lancs , its all there :thumbs:

most of the packs im interested in wer small harrier packs whos country was later included within what is now the holcombe country. Most had disapeared by the early 1900's. I have been and will contact nearby packs but just hoped somebody had at least heard of some of the packs im looking for, any little scraps of info about book referances etc. some old local history books may have an odd photo, things I can piece together, its stuff like that I need as well.

Cheers

I think the problem is going to be where do you stop as there were so many packs of hounds in the area, iv just found record of another pack called the Kirkham harriers. I already knew about the Rochdale and the Rossendale but as I dont know that area of country I hadnt given them much though, problem is sometimes there histories are all intermixed.

The Aspull hunt which is the one that sparked my interest was kept at some point at Crooke hall in Whittle le woods which is now called lisieux hall which is near Buckshaw village for anyone who knows the area. The master there bought a hound in about 1890 which was 1/4 blood hound or black and tan talbot hound and which he used in the breeding of the pack.

And for those who know the Holcombe, the kennel huntsman was at one point always on foot and carried a large coach horn and farmers were paid each time a hare was found on their land.

Have you looked in the old bailys directorys

I have but I'll maybe need to see a good number of the very earliest at some point, so if anyone has any I would apreciate a look or a photocopy of the relevant pages.

why dont we get together some time at a meet??? a sort of forum meet up?? didi...i am sure my dad has an old book somewere,,my nan knew one of the huntsmen,,and they kept in touch!! (my nans dead now so i cant ask her) but i will ring my old man later about this ere book!!

why dont we get together some time at a meet??? a sort of forum meet up?? didi...i am sure my dad has an old book somewere,,my nan knew one of the huntsmen,,and they kept in touch!! (my nans dead now so i cant ask her) but i will ring my old man later about this ere book!!

Cheers pal,

Not many meets left this season.