Lurcher VS Whippet

Ok thanks guys ill be using the dog for lamping and ferreting on hilly farm land (farm feilds)

Hope that helps more on pointing me on which type of breed to go for!

Please add more opinions!

Thanks

NWH

You been out to see either type work? Or know anyone who has running dogs? What kind of lurcher attracts you? For a first time dog i would go collie/grey or collie/grey/whip or something. But to be honest your better off just looking for the best bred litter you can find, our of two dogs doing what you want your do to end up doing.

my mistake , had a few

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father in law worked and bred whippets. He used to call my lurchers "mongrels" and generally take the piss (! as father in laws do!!)   5 years later he doesn't own one whippet - but has 4 lurche

lurcher all the way

What an open question mate.   What do you want from the dog mate? Daytime mooching and lamping? Just lamping? Ferreting?   Assuming you want something small? What sort of ground do you run? Big fi

Posted Images

Ok thanks guys ill be using the dog for lamping and ferreting on hilly farm land (farm feilds)

Hope that helps more on pointing me on which type of breed to go for!

Please add more opinions!

Thanks

NWH

You been out to see either type work? Or know anyone who has running dogs? What kind of lurcher attracts you? For a first time dog i would go collie/grey or collie/grey/whip or something. But to be honest your better off just looking for the best bred litter you can find, our of two dogs doing what you want your do to end up doing.

my mistake , had a few

I've been happy with my whippet, fairly leggy at 22.5 TTS and after a rough start he's settled down. He's had quite a few injuries already but apart from that does the job well.

Having had a lurcher in the past I'd have to say I'd agree with bird totally though and will be going back to a lurcher for my next hound, mainly for the ability to take bumps in the field.

I'm not knocking whippets at all, mine's a great little dog but I preferred my lurcher as he could do everything the whippet does and then some with no injuries.

i have a big whippet 23" and 2 lurchers one 23 1/2" the other 25"

n what iv seen with whippets including my own is they lack a bit in brain power of most lurchers.

this includes my own.ferreting the whippet is defo quicker outa the blocks but if a rabbit gets a bit of a head start my lurchers will power past the whippet.

also the lurchers on the calmer days can better predict the holes the rabbits bolt from.

as for lamping both are better than him too but not by much.

think they have better stamina but for injuries i dont find any difference.

i do run nice farmland fields though.

think if your after rabbits then a worker to worker of the smaller lurcher kind would be perfect.something between 21-25" which if you can have some sort of whippet in its make up.

Lurcher every time for me. Nothing wrong with whippets, but having worked both i have found lurchers generally not as highly strung, more biddable, better feet and skin and definately stand wet/damp weather better. Id go for collie/greyhound X Whippet or something along those lines.

Ok guys thanks alot the dog will be run in large farmland fields most are hilly ish, and it'll be used with ferrets lamping and mooching.

I like the sound of Ideation's idea collie/grey/whip anyone had this cross if so are they good for what I want listed above.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch again guys! :thumbs:

NWH

any combination of lurcher xlurcher brsd from grafters doing the job your looking for ,a dog of say 25tts will give you a dog capable of taking edible game on large arrable pasture land meadows etc.there his lines of dogs out there specifically bred for the job you require,and these are usually betterprospects than first cross first gen type dogs ,more emphasis should be put on the quaality of dogs not what they are actually made up from.choose wisely dogs lurcher lurcher doing the job in your given area would be worth a look.atb bunnys.

If the land is hilly and you are lamping and ferreting rabbits then personally i would go for a collie/greyhound, paying particular attention to the type of collie used........They should have better feet and constitution. Also the ammount of rabbits will influence the type of dog, if the land has large numbers then stamina will also be a requirement.......

got colie type lurcher with a dash of grew through them not seen them betterd for bolting rabbs and general mooching you want a nice strong fasy bitch 23 to 25 a it pce feet and breeding ,there about but you hav eto know the guys with that sort ,whippets to me are on epart of a good dog specaily on arable rough land were only dogs with big strong feet last at times and cold rough weather ,yet to see a good whippet offerd several for a daand nite out still waiting