Dark Doe.

A stalk was tried after a sneaky muntjac. Into a small bramble patch the porcine shape vanished. Then suddenly from behind the brambles broke a pair of fallow. They pronked down the field and the old method of a few whistles stopped them. Curiosity, it seems, kills more than just cats. At ninety yards the bullet thumped home and the doe staggered ten yards into the stream. :thumbs:

Happy Stalking chaps.

post-16-0-18412700-1297877803_thumb.jpg

November, colour variaton amongst roe seems to be rare, but i have noticed a large amount of variation amomgst the roe with regards the gorgets. Some have a large gorget whilst others have none. I, personally, have not seen a single example of colour variation amongst the capreolus that i have photographed, though i know some do exist. I was always lead to believe they are much more common on the continent, with Holland in particular having a high ratio of melanistic roe... :thumbs:

Deer, what an amazing topic.... :notworthy: JD

would be interesting to know why there is more colour variation on the continent? in regards to black foxes they were hunted more because of there black pelt and are now as rare as hens teeth, though in the US they havnt been targeted like here so are far more widespread and common. maybe in years past menalistic and black roe were easier to spot? or there was more demand for the black or spotted hides so were targeted more and we are now are left with the offspring of the common coloured? would be interesting to know the answer

Edited by awen