am i starting my lurcher to late

I have got a bedlington whippet x collie greyhound,he is coming up to 6 months old and i have just been concentrating on his obedience like,sit,stay,down,jumping obstacle's of no higher than 3ft also got him retrieving a dummy rabbit,he is doing really well but someonei know who has had lurchers for years saw him yesterday and said he cant believe that i have not had him out with the ferrets yet,basically bolting rabbits for the PUP,he is good with the ferrets and dont touch them but i feel he has no where near mentally matured yet even though he is fast and good at turning,thats the PUP i am talking about...lol

well he rang me again today and said we need to get that pup out the weekend but i intend later in his life to get him lamping and my personal oipinion is he will turn into a yapper if i get him out now and also could do damgage to his muscle and bones but he will not listen and insists i am wrong and that i am waisting my time in waiting untill next season,surely he is not correct is he and also he is telling me he should be jumping 6ft by now but is that not to much for a pup of these age,like pounding to the joints and muscle's,what height is a safe height to push them up to as they are clearing 4ft a pice of p~ss,opinions and advise from all angles needed please even if it does mean smash the fella over the head with a lump of wood,cheers

I have got a bedlington whippet x collie greyhound,he is coming up to 6 months old and i have just been concentrating on his obedience like,sit,stay,down,jumping obstacle's of no higher than 3ft also got him retrieving a dummy rabbit,he is doing really well but someonei know who has had lurchers for years saw him yesterday and said he cant believe that i have not had him out with the ferrets yet,basically bolting rabbits for the PUP,he is good with the ferrets and dont touch them but i feel he has no where near mentally matured yet even though he is fast and good at turning,thats the PUP i am talking about...lol

well he rang me again today and said we need to get that pup out the weekend but i intend later in his life to get him lamping and my personal oipinion is he will turn into a yapper if i get him out now and also could do damgage to his muscle and bones but he will not listen and insists i am wrong and that i am waisting my time in waiting untill next season,surely he is not correct is he and also he is telling me he should be jumping 6ft by now but is that not to much for a pup of these age,like pounding to the joints and muscle's,what height is a safe height to push them up to as they are clearing 4ft a pice of p~ss,opinions and advise from all angles needed please even if it does mean smash the fella over the head with a lump of wood,cheers

to be honest with you mate if your pup is jumping 4 ft at 6 month then he has been trained to jump enought as when he gets older jumping higher things will come natural as he gets older and at 6 month you just want to be gettin him retreiving and basic obedience nothing to much start him lamping at around 10 in my opinion thanks bratton

the 3ft maybe 4ft obstacle is in front of the kennel,he can clear it from the sitting position with no effort but not to fussed about the jumping at the moment really but just think he is wrong to take it rabbiting this weekend because 1 permission i have just has loads of warren on a flat field with short grass so the rabbits are fast as f~ck on there but they do bolt a good 7 or 8 hundred yards befors they get to cover and he reckons thats perfect ground for a pup this age/ is he right or wrong because if the dog turns into a yapper it will be going!!!!

nothing wrong in takeing him ferreting just watching nothing more ,i personally srart lamping at 9 month just watching for the first few times and try him on a few squaters do,nt give him nothing on the bushline,6 month is 2 early for a pup 2 be running rabbits

• Like 1

Leave the pup to grow mate you can f**k it up running it to early in life and yes you could turn it into a yapper.

I ran mine at 6 months but i was lucky not to f**k her up never again would i run one that early in life,take it out just to see what its all about.

Don't let your mate bully you in to running it, thats the mistake i made,now my mate carn't be bothered to even take his dog out the poor f**ker.

• Like 1

Got a 6 month old pup here thats been out ferreting with me for about 3 months,I let her grab rabbits in the nets whenever the oppurtuinity arises.She's also had a few trips on the lamp firstly with her rabbit dummy learning her to spot and 2/3 times watching the older bitch run.One of the things she's learnt is feild-craft which in my oponion is invaluable :thumbs:

he is out everyday but alot of road walking and i do take him to a place where their are plenty of rabbit holes but its only a hedgerow in the middle of a field,just to get him use to the smells of rabbit as i also feed him raw rabbit but only gutted,fur and everything still on but he is wormed regular

Leave the pup to grow mate you can f**k it up running it to early in life and yes you could turn it into a yapper.

I ran mine at 6 months but i was lucky not to f**k her up never again would i run one that early in life,take it out just to see what its all about.

Don't let your mate bully you in to running it, thats the mistake i made,now my mate carn't be bothered to even take his dog out the poor f**ker.

JUST AS I THOUGHT,THATS A PROPER STATEMENT,CHEERS MATE

its ur f*****g dog!!! you decide what u want done with it. had a lad telling me to slip my 10 month old pup on a hare on the lamp, he kept naggin an nagin so i grabbed hold of him an telt him to shut the f up. been pushed into runnin a dog once more, an sods law she broke a toe, never again!!!

I've got the similar problem mate, i took a gamble buying the pup i bought with him being a bull whippet X JRT he's 7 1/2 month now, and i'm just taking him out with other running dogs and letting him watch, when he see's a bunny he's not that intersted yet, but that's just the pup in him, let him be a pup mate, you wouldnt ask a 3-4 year old child to go to work, it's just the same, give it time mate, let me know your progress as i'm in the same prediciment as you. cheers

• Like 1