greyhounds

ran a grey on hares after its racing was cut short,as was said elsewhere this f****r would have ran through a brick wall .just one thought in its mind.but have also seen two who were worked of the leash jumped gates and were perfect around livestock while they were still racing.remember a fella was nearly killed cleaning out the run four dogs jumped him the way he fell he managed to back out the door .after he got over the fright he went out to the dogs they were as if nothing had happened.

• 9 months later...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the not the smartest and can be injury prone, but get the right one and it will work as well as any lurcher

even with all the advantages from working a pure grey i wouldnt ever want to own one for just hunting, , while i was excersing them for a few years i loved every min i spent with them but at the same

well yes i would agree with that.my point i was making was about ex racers.and also i have to say ther racers who would pin another dog that came up to it,or try and break its own neck trying to break

Posted Images

well having kept greyhounds for many years id say,got to agree,they will run through walls and hedges to get at thier prey,also a factor i would take into consideration is they will kill small dogs sheep and anything else they happen to take a fancy to.a greyhound cross at least you can train it and to a degree where it is managable around other dogs which are a lot smaller than themselfs.im sure there are exceptions out there,but as a general rule a racing grey will see anything smaller than it as fair game.

:yes::thumbs:

disagree with u ther [bANNED TEXT] any dog can be trained straight greyhound or nt and i have a greyhound bitch that wouldnt even think ov killing or laming any other dog and will walk through any livestock without even looking at them and she is a 3yr old 27tts powerful game bitch which has raced but is now just a worker and good at it certain quarry

Ive only ever been out with 2 pure grey's the first about 26yr's ago..it was a mate's bitch which was a ex track dog..after roughly a dozen walk's out with it it had to be rehomed as it kept breaking toes on the front feet..it was the fastest thing i had ever seen on a hare and i can alway's remember it straght lining one and picking it up at full speed..

The second was another mate's about 5yr's ago what he used to race..when he stopped getting it trained and stopped racing it he would take it around the field's for excercise and a few run's...that dog never caught anything and would stop running pretty quick and could barely walk back home after one run..

Both bitches where really friendly around people and other dog's and sheep.

Edited by Millet

my opinion is brought up as a pup like you would a lurcher they can be taught how to behave and become a good hunting partner.yes they do get injured but so do a lot of fast lurcher types mine included because i love a real up and at em type of lurcher . i raced greyhounds as well and never found any nasty around humans ,now other dogs differant kettle of fish ,but given time they can be brought around a mate has had a few that were fair lampers and these were not young when he had them admittedly one did get killed running in to a post and broke its neck but had lurchers do the same .whether i would buy one just for hunting the answer is a definate no no. there are better for that game .

i love a good greyhound and had several over the years some never made it but one or two did but took three months of constant work then she was decent enough ,she ran along side one of the colie lurchers i had and lernt a good bit ,and she took the lot hardy as hell after that i gave her to a keeper guy he said shees agreat dog, he bred her to a german pionter not my chioce , butt here you go

get 1 from a pup and it should,nt know any difference if you bring it on with lurchers

well yes i would agree with that.my point i was making was about ex racers.and also i have to say ther racers who would pin another dog that came up to it,or try and break its own neck trying to break free to get at something were imo always the best racers.my advice was to be very carefull aquirring an ex racer and treating it as you would a lurcher.yes great dogs arond people and will be docile to a fault,but they see something they wanna snatch and try kill they will.all this talk of its how the owners brought them up.well most greyhound men do not bond with these dogs and the dogs dont bond with the owners,there there to do a job and the dog looks on you as only a meal ticket.i have had greys for a considerable time in my kennels and they quite happily went away with a stranger and settled in.

• Like 1

i brought a greyhound bitch from racing kennels for a bit of fun and to work the odd night/day i must say iv had no problems with her so far yea she's as keen as mustard but iv not had a problem with her with terriers or pups i just think i got a good one to be honest she's just turned two don't get me wrong if a dog started with her she would be moor then happy to have a good scrap but thats about it this one is just as easy as my lurchers .. my exs dad had three greyhounds that were wild wanted to kill each other and anything that moved there were fecking evil things lol but i loved every minute with them .....

post-46023-0-27811700-1322565018_thumb.jpg