First foxes on golf course

Went out today to have a mooch round the golf course that we recently got back just to re familiarise our selves with it.After about 30 minutes of walking round the used 9 of the course although staying away from the clubhouse I see a charlie sauntering across the course in front of us with not a care in the world.At this point I hand Wull the sticks(he got the permission so I thought I better give him the first shot) but he wasnt wanting to take the shot at this moment as we were in direct view of the big houses that over look the course so we just kept walking in a straight line the way we were heading the fox by this time has stopped about 110 yds in front of us and is nosing about just as we were getting to the green that she was at she started moving towards us so as soon as we got to a bit where the trees were partially blocking our view I passed the sticks to Wull again and told him to shoot the thing which he did .By this time it was only 35yds away :whistling:

This is Wull with his remington 22-250.

DSC00633.jpg

We had walked round the top 9 that arn't used seeing plenty of deer tracks and droppings and headed back to the car thinking this place could be prosperous once in the car I kept my rifle in just incase but not really expecting to see anything as we had only walked the road 10 minutes before while heading back to the car but just as I was unscrewing the roof light just to see if I could pick up any eyes as it was last light I spotted a dark looking charlie moving away to our right so a quick psssst to Wull to stop as he hadnt seen it I was out the landy rifle over bonnet and on the fox in no time.Only for it to disappear ,then reappear a few seconds later further on I eventually got it to stop with a quick squeak once it had cleared the grush and got past the telegraph pole at about 160yds and down it went.

This is it beside my rifle.

DSC00634.jpg

I didnt think the pic done the size justice so got Wull to take this 1,the flash didnt work as well on this 1(dont know if it was because I was further away) but ull get the gist of the size.

DSC00635.jpg

So that was a not to bad sunday at Wulls for 3.30 on site for about 3.45 ,Wulls fox (pic taken)at 4.20 my fox shot nearly exactly an hour later pic taken at 5.19

Billy

Just out of interest, why are you killing foxes on a golf course? A green keeper or groundsman's worst enemies are rabbits. Foxes kill rabbits.

I only ask.

....why let the fox get all the rabbits ...... shoot the fox and then shoot the rabbits, twice as much fun :D

• Like 1

Just out of interest, why are you killing foxes on a golf course? A green keeper or groundsman's worst enemies are rabbits. Foxes kill rabbits.

I only ask.

Fair point Ric but the foxes have been getting more and more brave 1 even goes as close as 2 feet from the golfers and ground staff and dont even run when they shout at it ,it just stands and stares and are now regarded as a pest to the golfers. The head greenkeeper has asked us to shoot all vermin including fox and deer on the course,so who are we to argue :thumbs:

I only ask.

Fair point Ric but the foxes have been getting more and more brave 1 even goes as close as 2 feet from the golfers and ground staff and dont even run when they shout at it ,it just stands and stares and are now regarded as a pest to the golfers. The head greenkeeper has asked us to shoot all vermin including fox and deer on the course,so who are we to argue :thumbs:

I wondered too just like Ric, but if you've been asked to remove them, then that's what you must do, if you don't someone else will. Discretion is needed on a golf course. I do plenty of them, mainly on the lamp, and there's folk walking through at all hours. I limit the rifle use to rimfire but I'm only doing rabbits anyway. :thumbs:

I only ask.

I wondered too just like Ric, but if you've been asked to remove them, then that's what you must do, if you don't someone else will. Discretion is needed on a golf course. I do plenty of them, mainly on the lamp, and there's folk walking through at all hours. I limit the rifle use to rimfire but I'm only doing rabbits anyway. :thumbs:

Usually we would only go at night on the lamp but we thought we would make use of the chance to familiarise our selves again with the course as we had only just got our permission back.We sussed a few places the deer seem to be at more and where the bunnies hang out so it was a productive day :thumbs:

Nice one Billy, charlie, deer and rabbits too, good bit of permission to get back. I have access to a 9 holer over here, but its shot to bits, we have started using a 17 on it. It's the only way to get near them. There are another couple of courses right next to us, never considered approaching them. Might do now tho!

I have found that the foxes dig more around the bunkers etc and can cause as much damage scratching for worms and bettles . They also tend to shit in the bunkers which the golfers complain about.

Well that was 1 of the other reason they were wanting rid of the charlie ,either they or the rabbits were digging on and around the greens so both have to go :boogie:

Nice one Billy, charlie, deer and rabbits too, good bit of permission to get back. I have access to a 9 holer over here, but its shot to bits, we have started using a 17 on it. It's the only way to get near them. There are another couple of courses right next to us, never considered approaching them. Might do now tho!

Theres also squirrel ,magpie ,crow and woodies to name but a few of the pests but its going to be hard to fit it all in and look after the rest of the ground we do.Oh and get some doors chapped you never know you may get the rest of the courses :thumbs: