Percentages and their effect on a lurcher

well i have got a grey saluki bull x grey saluki bull its like a greyhound saluki with a good head but racey and long and i got a grey saluki bull x grey bull right stocky power house good dogs but better at some things than the other but basically the same breeding but i have had had lurchers that have had 1/32 collie in it he was like a greyhound collie thing i say thing being kind it was the most ugliest lurcher i sin very nice pup but how he changed as he got older but what a dog very clever dog so it is good to know whats in a dogs breeding way back because they will come through sooner or later

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no way to determine what percentage is really in a dog, genetics arent accurate. just because you cross say for example a grey/saluki with a grey/bull dosent mean that you will automaticly get half gr

the reason people line breed, br,ed the same type or simliar is so you dont get all the pigs and pokes stuff bred collie type to saluk type they turned out decent dogs some very good but wouldnt throw

I've said it before, but on here folk are far to hung up on percentages..!!   As far as i've seen, when there is more than two different breeds involved, then its all just a throw of the dice on ho

Posted Images

good post, i think with any % you need at least 3/8 to make any differnce to the x. Say saluki to get that stamina in to the grey, i carnt see 1/8 making any differnce, ok a 1/4 but you could loose it in the grey. Same with the bull, to get the tenacity= guts , same again 1/4 maybe but 3/8 to 1/2 alot better. :yes: But as been said when you go past 3 breeds ,any thing can come out.!!

good post, i think with any % you need at least 3/8 to make any differnce to the x. Say saluki to get that stamina in to the grey, i carnt see 1/8 making any differnce, ok a 1/4 but you could loose it in the grey. Same with the bull, to get the tenacity= guts , same again 1/4 maybe but 3/8 to 1/2 alot better. :yes: But as been said when you go past 3 breeds ,any thing can come out.!!

1/8 will make a difference but you may not notice it.

How?

Guest INTERNET-HUNTER

this is why we run a pure greyhound dog!! we can breed off him knowing that when we do its a genuine line we are using and he works well :yes: every single person who has a lurcher on here has got greyhound in there dog but probably 25% at most no the greys used in the breeding :blink: :blink: the greyhound is just a greyhound attitude is a joke in my eyes :wallbash: if you want the best, find the best :victory:

Edited by INTERNET-HUNTER

How?

Is it in there or are you just seeing it cos you have been told so?you must know what you want it for before you buy a pup or breed one.....% is for speed,,in most cases :thumbs:

i think breeding dogs is a good sceince and not many get it [bANNED TEXT] , only so many in each litter is what you wanted rest fine but not what you wanted if the truth b told, if you breed to much colie terrier deerhound ,whippet you will always get wastage i like breeding good to good proven dogs then puttng theodd grew or greyhound in through time as pace is very important to cacth game on open land lamping or day lite etc been lucky to have bred some [bANNED TEXT] dogs but put alot of time and travel to get them

Very interesting post. Thought it might have answered my question. I’ve got a bull grey x collie grey. Im thinking about getting a bitch and to possibly breed them but don’t have a clue what to get. He’s a good all-rounder taking everything single handed. I kept thinking about different breeds but think I would be best trying to get the same x bitch as I am very happy with him. Any advice pleasepost-58457-0-83134100-1296536869_thumb.jpgpost-58457-0-76489300-1296536836_thumb.jpg

Internet Hunter that was a good post and hit the nail o the head imo. Personally i don't like any more than three types in the makeup of any dog. The amount off crap for sale is unbelievable, as Internet hunter says find the best greyhound, i.e. one that you yourself has tested and has good attributes ie feet etc and breed from that dog/bitch and then you know exactly what you have from day one and not some half door making up percentages over the phone.

no way to determine what percentage is really in a dog, genetics arent accurate. just because you cross say for example a grey/saluki with a grey/bull dosent mean that you will automaticly get half grey, quarter bull, quarter saluki.people use percentages as a reference point. in reality you could and up with a more greyhound dominant dog, saluki dominant dog, or bull dominant dog, thro of the dice.

percentages mean fu ck all, and whats in a dog means fu ck all, to an extent, its not about whats in them, its about what they can do.

that is a very fair comment but imo its exactly whats in them, that gives them the ability to do various things

i dont see where you are coming from with this because you are saying 1/4 you will notice but you could loose it in the grey, so 3/8 is a better option but 1/4 - 3/8 is not that much of a difference (1/8 of a difference to be exact) but at the same time you are saying you dont think 1/8 will make a difference, yet you think 3/8 produces a better consitencey to 1/4.........like i said there is 1/8 difference between the two...........so it obviously does make a difference.........

if you can see where im coming from with thos BIRD?

i dont see where you are coming from with this because you are saying 1/4 you will notice but you could loose it in the grey, so 3/8 is a better option but 1/4 - 3/8 is not that much of a difference (1/8 of a difference to be exact) but at the same time you are saying you dont think 1/8 will make a difference, yet you think 3/8 produces a better consitencey to 1/4.........like i said there is 1/8 difference between the two...........so it obviously does make a difference.........

the difference is when you have 2 or 3 different types of dogs that make up the 1/8 here and 1/8 there of this and that. Or you put a first x bull /grey to a 3/4 bull/grey you usualy know what your going get. is a inbetween of the both, not to racey greyhound but not to heavy like first x if your lucky lol

yes i can see what you are saying, i know its 1/8 between 1/4 and 3/8. I just think when you go to as low 1/8 gene it may not show so much in the dog. Like saying if you got a grey 7/8 and 1/8 collie or saluki, dont think it would come through to make any differnce.? you might be right, because ive got a 3/8 bull 5/8 grey dog pup, and it is alot differnt to a bull 1/4 3/4 grey that i used to have.Bigger and differnt shape, and its only a 1/8 differnce.? I dont know if it because you are using same gene of that breed type of dog. Maybe some genes of other breeds are stronger than others, or 1/8 is stronger than i thought then. :hmm:

this is why we run a pure greyhound dog!! we can breed off him knowing that when we do its a genuine line we are using and he works well :yes: every single person who has a lurcher on here has got greyhound in there dog but probably 25% at most no the greys used in the breeding :blink: :blink: the greyhound is just a greyhound attitude is a joke in my eyes :wallbash: if you want the best, find the best :victory:

strange that your wanting best dog,how much will it cost you running said greyhound on,then to find out its not up to scrach,will you then try another,,,when you can just buy a pup lurcher from working stock,what you have seen both dam nd sire work,nd are happy with them,its a hobby just enjoy it,you will never breed the best lurcher in the world thats a fact,its always some fluke what happens by chance to some kid that dose not even know what he has,or even how its bred,,,but hey you keep trying the greyhounds,when you could have been enjoying lurchers work.just trying to help bud not pulling your efforts down,thats 100% effort 0% fun.atb mick :thumbs:

there is always a more dominant gene when breeding, which one it is, is anyones guess till the end result, the 1/8 that you think is lost may not be visible on the outside but more as an attribute i.e more lung capacity, more intelligence etc (as daft as that may sound).

im no expert but imo as little as 1/8 its going to contribute somewhere along the line

(the way i see it)