Went out last night after mr charlie. Had a few lamp shy ones to deal with so felt lucky with last nights weather being suitable. Lamped 3 fields before I came across number one! He was sat on top of the hedge(his usual trick)just watching my every step. Walked back behind the hedge and gave a little squeak. Didnt take much before he came down into the field and presented himself nicely for a chest shot with a decent backstop. 1 down, 1 to go..! About 3/4 hour later (and a few bunnies to the .22..) got the second one in the lamp. Red fliter on, keeping him in just enough light. Walked with the hedge until I was happy with backstop and then got the mono-pod ready. By now he was laying facing away from me allowing a shot to the back of his head/neck. opted for the neck shot. After shooting him, up he got an scampered to and through the hedge..gone!

Didnt spend too much time searching as it was already 2am 'ish'..!

Anyone else had many runners shooting with .223 using PRVI ammo?! read in R.B's book that he's had some run up to 250yrds......!?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if i shot one and it ran off i wouldn't care what time it was, and if i couldn't find it i would go back down in the daylight and have a look.

Lol.its crazy how a genuine post gets blown out of proportion there is really no need we ere to help eachother out.Anyone who says they dont ever get a runner whether its foxing, rabbiting or pigeon s

We are all here to build and learn or experiences, And it seems to me that you think you may of never made a mistake while out shooting, As long as its a learning curve then thats all that matters,

Went out last night after mr charlie. Had a few lamp shy ones to deal with so felt lucky with last nights weather being suitable. Lamped 3 fields before I came across number one! He was sat on top of the hedge(his usual trick)just watching my every step. Walked back behind the hedge and gave a little squeak. Didnt take much before he came down into the field and presented himself nicely for a chest shot with a decent backstop. 1 down, 1 to go..! About 3/4 hour later (and a few bunnies to the .22..) got the second one in the lamp. Red fliter on, keeping him in just enough light. Walked with the hedge until I was happy with backstop and then got the mono-pod ready. By now he was laying facing away from me allowing a shot to the back of his head/neck. opted for the neck shot. After shooting him, up he got an scampered to and through the hedge..gone!

Didnt spend too much time searching as it was already 2am 'ish'..!

Anyone else had many runners shooting with .223 using PRVI ammo?! read in R.B's book that he's had some run up to 250yrds......!?

You may have missed it.

A neck shot could only wound without damaging a major blood vessel/spine. It sounds like it knew you were there it may well be dead not far away having been running on adrenaline and bled out further away but only one way to know.

Personally i would've taken the head shot as even if low there is still neck to hit.

update...

farmer phoned me this morning to tell me he'd found the runner in a field under where id shot him..his jack had taken interest in something in a ditch.

Surprised he'd gone that far but will know in future not to take the same shot again, either head or bolier room from now on!

reason for neck shot was that i could only see the neck and the top of his head. hindsight is a marvellous thing and i guess i'll put it down to experience.

having a name like stalker, i doubt you've ever missed or had any runners etc. thanks for the input prat.

you are right their jonesbach . may be stalker never miss . :wallbash: it,s dead and that,s what the farmer wanted. :thumbs: we (ass in fox shooters ) have all taken head or neck shoot,s if you feel confident in doing it .

Edited by DERBOY

If you cant find the odd one we just go back with the dogs in the morning ,things look totaly differnt at night and its almost as if youve walked over them at night and never saw them

update...

farmer phoned me this morning to tell me he'd found the runner in a field under where id shot him..his jack had taken interest in something in a ditch.

Surprised he'd gone that far but will know in future not to take the same shot again, either head or bolier room from now on!

reason for neck shot was that i could only see the neck and the top of his head. hindsight is a marvellous thing and i guess i'll put it down to experience.

having a name like stalker, i doubt you've ever missed or had any runners etc. thanks for the input prat.

The reason we are allowed a FAC is because we are supposed to be judged a responsable person (DID YOU KNOW YOU HIT IT NO,DID YOU KNOW IT WAS WOUNDED NO,DID YOU KILL IT DONT KNOW,WAS IT SUFFERINg DONT CARE ,DID YOU GO LOOK UM MAYBE,)Hardly the actions of a responsable FAC holder (PRAT)

there is always one self righteous twat, ready to quote a load of rubbish from the best practise. In my job the long a fox is on my beat the more harm it will do, I would rather hit it and it go's on rather than miss it cleanly, it wont live long and importantly wont be killing grouse.

update...

The reason we are allowed a FAC is because we are supposed to be judged a responsable person (DID YOU KNOW YOU HIT IT NO,DID YOU KNOW IT WAS WOUNDED NO,DID YOU KILL IT DONT KNOW,WAS IT SUFFERINg DONT CARE ,DID YOU GO LOOK UM MAYBE,)Hardly the actions of a responsable FAC holder (PRAT)

there is always one self righteous twat, ready to quote a load of rubbish from the best practise. In my job the longer a fox is on my beat the more harm it will do, I would rather hit it and it go's on rather than miss it cleanly, it wont live long and importantly wont be killing grouse.

update...

there is always one self righteous twat, ready to quote a load of rubbish from the best practise. In my job the longer a fox is on my beat the more harm it will do, I would rather hit it and it go's on rather than miss it cleanly, it wont live long and importantly wont be killing grouse.

:feck:

Here we go again a PRICK with a gun AND no respect for the quarry, :fool:

no here we have someone who's living is on the line if he doesn't produce game, not some part timer playing at it like yourself. now do us all a favour and piss off to some best practise/ jobsworth web site where you can all wank each other off about how right you are and how wrong everyone else is. knob

Lol.its crazy how a genuine post gets blown out of proportion there is really no need we ere to help eachother out.Anyone who says they dont ever get a runner whether its foxing, rabbiting or pigeon shooting are telling porkys.i have in all them situations over the years maybe the odd rushed shot or just bad luck or wrong presentation of the Quary after the shots taken.dont think the fox shooter is wrong and maybe is being portrayed as irresponsible,at the end of the day it happened but its someones livelyhood.keep at them charlie's pal,probably set myself up for some flak but hey im always in the shit its just the depths that vary.so continue ha ha

• Like 1

update...

We are all here to build and learn or experiences, And it seems to me that you think you may of never made a mistake while out shooting,

As long as its a learning curve then thats all that matters, the only thing i would say is take time to judge the backstop, and see a clear sight picture of the target,

i think you could of worded your reply a little better, As it comes across as very judgemental..... and a little OTT....

ATB.

Snap.

• Like 1