foot beagles

there are sum dic heads on here there no diffence between foot beagles and beagles used for huntin hares there all hunted on foot

wat aload of shit

Hello dic head, that is a useful contribution. For your information in some parts of Ireland the native foot harrier, the Kerry Beagle, is often called a beagles and standard beagles are refered to as foot beagles, hence my question. Now, you have learned something today, probably for the first time in a long while. A word of advice, keep your opinions to yourself if you do not know the full picture behind other peoples conversation.

CarraghsGem

Is your friend in Ireland? I hunt a footpack on the Monaghan/Fermanagh border. He really should see a foot pack in action and see how to handle hounds before getting his own pack. He would also neeed to be careful about buying hounds at any time and even more so at this time of year as coming to the end of the season a lot of lads will be trying to get rid of anything a bit dodgy before the summer so there will be a lot of dirt for sale. Let me know what part of Ireland he is in and I might be able to put him in contact with a pack. If he proves his interest most packs will pass him on a pup for free and he would have no need to buy a hound.

will pm! thanks!

think its been said but these little hounds will hunt anything that moves so that can cause a prob,if your wanting em for a certain thing,if he gives it a go first thing to get is a good team of lads,lasses together with plenty of road sence :whistling: and dont say what time your getting home once you loose em .try get a couple old hounds they will help matters good luck :D

Listening to the level of knowledge and experince, and no insult intended. I suggest this man hunts with a few different packs, goes see the kennels, learn kennel routine and looks at the costs involved. If he is stil vey keen then. Istead of a pack, why dont he get two or three and hunt them to start with. Its a lot of work, money and effort in a pack.

just been talking to him, hes leaving them as he only really liked one of them in the first place and the seller wont split them up!

saw some airedale x labs there as well 6mths old :icon_eek: looked like heavy set black airedales

think that fella is gonna be stuck with them :laugh:

as for setting up his own pack of 3-5 hounds hes now looking at kerry beagles.... theres no talking to him!

he told me he used to go out with the local hunt. this is just something hes wanted to do for years apparently!

he hunts regularly with his lurchers as well. i'll let you know if and when he goes ahead with it!

There used to be an old man from the same place as me that was irish mile record holder once upon a time (Tom welsh was his name,ran 4.11 barefoot when the world record was 4.08) .His only training was trying to stay up with a pair of kerry beagles .

just been talking to him, hes leaving them as he only really liked one of them in the first place and the seller wont split them up!

saw some airedale x labs there as well 6mths old :icon_eek: looked like heavy set black airedales

think that fella is gonna be stuck with them :laugh:

as for setting up his own pack of 3-5 hounds hes now looking at kerry beagles.... theres no talking to him!

he told me he used to go out with the local hunt. this is just something hes wanted to do for years apparently!

he hunts regularly with his lurchers as well. i'll let you know if and when he goes ahead with it!

There used to be an old man from the same place as me that was irish mile record holder once upon a time (Tom welsh was his name,ran 4.11 barefoot when the world record was 4.08) .His only training was trying to stay up with a pair of kerry beagles .

i can believe that i work 4 ages one to four brought first one on with terriers to bush then added one each year learning of each other 4 at 11 months old with no experience would be a nightmare in my opinion glad he's knocked that idea on the head. :thumbs:

I think the beagles are a great bit of crack. I got a pup of Tassa of here.She was my first ever beagle. I was enjoying her so I got another pup a few months ago. Then the lurchers came. I dont mind what mine hunt.They push out rabbits,pheasants and fox. The new pup works a bit different to the older beagle.She is about15 or 16 months which is still a pup in my eyes,between the 2 of them Im having great fun.I cant wait for next year when they are not pups anymore. Ive got a couple of rabbits and a pheasant so far.Ive had some really good hunts on fox with them aswell.If anything you will get fit and keep fit. Ive had no previous experience along the way.The beagles are teaching me.They let you know what there hunting aswell.Mine go on differently and sound different when on different game.Im loving it.ATB Ray

yes i think he needs to go out with his local pack and learn the crack..he'll soon see the knacks and faults hounds do (babbling,cutting hunts,flinging etc.) to get a good pack together takes alot of time and effort and hard culling..best of luck