Sorted a few for my mate Tom

My mate ProTom1 asked if we could drop onto some of his permission to sort a few rabbits out for him, well it would be rude to refuse! We arranged to meet up with him by the first field we would be doing, this was at the side of RAF Waddington where the AWACS are based.AWACSoutferreting.jpg

We started off with a grueler, the rabbits just refused to bolt and the first kill was registered at 5 foot, thats ok but the ground was compacted and bulit up with hardcore on the runway side. Well it had to be done and it was a long dig and really slowed the start to the day, ah well these things happen I suppose. The rest of this hedgerow was much the same with most of the rabbits refusing to bolt, luckily enough the rest were not as deep, phew what a releif.

We just managed 13 off here albeit just a short run to the end of the hawthorn as you can see from the pic above. We were well ready for a drink and a sarni when we had done this and then we (jetted) off to the next area just 5 minutes drive away.

We drove to the next area and had a good start, they were actually bolting, the sets were much shallower thats why, as I have found that the deeper they are the less likely to bolt they will be. It was pretty easy on these sets not too much cover or many thorns for a change, my hands already look like they have been shot with a 12 bore. There were a few digs but these tended to be about 18 inches deep, in the roots though, but we were happy to dig these. It was apparent that there were lots of foxes present in the area as almost all the sets had fox droppings outside, looks like Tom has a job on his hands with the lamp and rifle.

As we got to the last stretch we decided to finish earlier today, Stevo had things to do back home and although I was keen to carry on, I only live just down the road, they had a hour and 15 minutes drive home. Guess Stevo wishes he lived down here, save on the travelling time and the fuel etc.

Tom stayed with us all day to watch us perform our business, unfortunately we were a man short today as Ray was unable to make it and that slowed us down slightly. (part timer)

We were quite happy with the result seeing as we had a bad start and an early finish, we finished up with 37, as usual one less on the pic as the terrier gets his prize when he gets put away.

It was a grand day, we had a right old sweat on, feeling more like spring than winter pity it wasn't like this more of the time.

37on25thjan2011.jpg

Thanks to Tom, (ProTom1) for some nice sport, cheers mate :thumbs:

I would just like to thank steve and his crew for there great work ,they know what there doing and they do it well :notworthy: Shame about the start to the day but thats life ,if not for the hold up another 15 plus would of been in the bag but nevermind still a good bag to end the day .

Had a lamp around later on that night no rabbits out but did knock over 2 dogs and 1 vixen in the space of 3o mins but saw 2 more :shok:

Off out again in a wee bit to have a look and will let you know bout sunday :good:

You Lads are certainly having some good sport Steve :thumbs:

Got a New bit of ground to start a week on saturday for a Water company i do the Rabbits for.

This place has never been Ferreted before and is apparently teaming with Rabbits :hmm::hmm:

Have to meet the Head of maintenance to show us around the site (Water Treatment Plant) and collect the Keys for the Gates :thumbs:

So you also get big bags of fish as well as bunnies :thumbs:

I have my moments, I am 3 times UK match record holder and current Browning Pole Masters Champion. Fishing is a big part of my life, I have a fishing bait company but work is very slow at this time of year and it gives me more time for country sports. I have 2 websites http://miraclebaits.webs.com (fishing) and http://ukcountrysports.webs.com (hunting) and just trying to build these up as they are pretty new. Any advice and new members welcome.

Edited by stevethefish