Breaking lurcher to sheep and cattle

I've just got permission on land with lots of sheep and cattle.

A great opportunity, and the farmer has happily agreed to walk me round the land with my pup, who has not seen livestock before.

Anyone out there got any tips or suggestions for breaking the pup to the sheep etc. would be greatly appreciated.

keep him on the lead,if he is showing an interest and straining on the lead.pull him back and firmly say no.keep doing it.im in the process of doing the same with mine.i got mine behaving near horses now and was talking to the owner of the horses other day and he looked impressed i was making the effort.he used to show a keen interest in the sheep,but now i pass them and he hardly shows an interest.still to let him off the lead in the same field yet.however he is great at comming back when told to heel.so i dont forsee much probs hopefully. ATB with your pup mate. :thumbs:

No offence mate but it should already be done at that age. get him out and as already said keep it on a long lead. loop part in your hand and really let it know it aint to be interested in sheep cattle etc by dropping the loop and walking in the opposite direction to it at full speed coupled with a firm growl or no whichever you want this will really jarr it. Repeat this as many times as necessary :thumbs: seems overly aggressive tactic but it works

Roughly the same advice, put on a long leash, I had a rolled up newspaper in the other hand, walk the dog through, the important part is when the Sheep run when seeing you, and the Dog if he tries to lunge or run at them, draw the leash in give him a firm no, and a tap on the snout with the rolled up paper, not a belt but a tap, after a few times he should get the message, mines always did.

When he shows no interest, let him of the leash,and walk him through, if he does have a go catch him quick and repeat,although as I said my dogs learned this pretty quick.

hope this helps.

Personally I would go without the dog for your visit. If the dog acts scatty with the sheep in the farmers presence your likely to lose your permission as fast as you got it. As someone already said shoulda been stock broken long before now

A great opportunity, and the farmer has happily agreed to walk me round the land with my pup, who has not seen livestock before.

Anyone out there got any tips or suggestions for breaking the pup to the sheep etc. would be greatly appreciated.

put pup in shed with a ram works evere time 4me mate

put pup in shed with a ram works evere time 4me mate

i agree with this however i tend to do it with a younger dog and a ewe that i know has a bit of a temper as a ram could badly injure the dog

My bitch was 4 months old when she first encounterd sheep she ran at them i gave her a good telling off no problem since.

When out lampin now she will run rabbits straight threw them and never give them a glance.

When she was 6 months she ran straight into 12 heifers they ran her they put the fear of god in her, that sorted her out a bit dagerous but did the job, told the farmer he said don't worry.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Plenty to go at there.

Farmer will not be bothered with dog on first visit as is an ex work mate and is a good bloke.

Will try all of above.

Just wondering how long to put dog in pen with sheep or is it just a case of watching and see how long it may take.

Newspaper sounds a good idea too.

many thanks.

let you know how it goes.