Breaking lurcher to sheep and cattle

Thanks everyone for the advice. Plenty to go at there.

Farmer will not be bothered with dog on first visit as is an ex work mate and is a good bloke.

Will try all of above.

Just wondering how long to put dog in pen with sheep or is it just a case of watching and see how long it may take.

Newspaper sounds a good idea too.

many thanks.

let you know how it goes.

intill the dog starts crying mate they wont go near a sheep again then

I would only stick t in with a ram,if all other avenues fail.

Watch out with the Ram, I have seen Collies getting trapped in a corner in a pen, and taking a hammering, I was put on my back with a tup I was feeding in the field when it came for me butting me in the stomach, putting me on to my back.

Had a Great day with pup amongst sheep and cattle.

At first I kept dog on a length of rope and let it out to about 6 feet, walking around and through flock. Dog was calm and steady, showing interest in them but not pulling or lungeing. Tried this for about 30 min.

Went to another field after this and did the same with 3 heiffers. Dog was still steady but more wary if they came too close for comfort and would come to me for reassurance.

Then tried letting the rope out to about 10 yards. The pup still behaved itself though and would get within a couple of yrds from the cows but no closer.

Reassuring him all the time and giving him a stern GRRRT! if he went too close.

After this we went to another field with tups. Again the pup behaved really well on a short rope of about 6 feet and, although curious, he seemed to know to keep his distance. The tups were more scatty than the first flock but after 10 mins or so I had him walking around the flock quite calmly. I let the rope out steadily for a few minutes until about 10 yards out, things were going well then suddenly one of the tups decided it was going to make a break for it and split from the pack. The pup lunged after it and was stopped in its tracks by the length of rope. I gave him a loud GRRRT! again and he knew he had done wrong instantly and came back to me with a guilty look on his face.

I put him on his lead and walked around the fields for about an hour then made my way back to the first field. I started over again letting the rope out slowly to about 10 yards walking through and round the flock. He seemed to be fine again with these sheep. At this point I called it a day and headed back to the car.

I can only guess that the tups in the previous field were much more skittish and nervous and that caused them to break and the dog to want to follow. I think he did really well for a first time and will be doing it again next weekend.

Any thoughts would be appreciated and did I make any mistakes. Please let me know.

Cheers.

If you know any farmer that has sheep lambing now- a ewe with a lamb won't be too long teachin him. Plus you get the advantage of the dog associating it with the smaller lambs too. Farmers will usually have a few in pens around the yard so it's easier to control. But as others have said it would have been easier done a bit sooner

I'd be wary of putting a 12 month old dog in with a ewe or tupp, it could quite easily end with a dead or badly injured sheep.

It should be done as young as possible bud.When the dogs is more frightened of the livestock.Also make sure the dogs trusts you.:thumbs: