Training on the lamp?

Im trying a new system with my new pup. Shes 4 1/2 months and retrieving a ball and small dummy fine, recently i've been out at night doing the same. Started out throwing the ball into the beam and now dropping the ball then walking away, coming back, lamping the ball and sending her for it. Shes just starting to look down the beam now and her retrieve is good. I've no doubt she'll catch on the lamp but my previous bitch was very hard to get retrieving so im hoping this will help the pup do it as second nature. Only time will tell!

As for pegging down live rabbits ... get a grip! There is something seriously wrong with some peoples heads.

ATB with your pup :thumbs:

I use this method

works a treat.Saves a lot of balls ups later on :thumbs:

Once the pup is competant get it on the real thing as soon as it is at the right age.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nutter69.. Bought my dog at 6 weeks, first working dog like i said new to the game and joined THL for advice, without pointing fingers, some people give this site a bad name.

Ashington, it's about 14 miles north of newcastle. You are more than welcome to bring the dog up ferreting or lamping

get oot an learn by yer mistakes

I get them on daytime bunny,s first,then take them out with lamp on flat fields with no obsacles,i spend a few nights learning the retrieve in beam getting the young dog used to the light and dark,then i walk about local area letting dog get used to obstacles,gates,walls and fences,in the dark.Its then a case of picking the easiest running land and picking easy runs,squatters preferably,i let the dog have a few easy sessions,gradually staying longer and running more difficult rabbits.

Ignore the idiot who told you about the pegged rabbit as somewhere a village is missing its idiot. Just try to pick a good night with rabbits feeding right out, get between them and the warren, get your dog sighted and slip. It ain't rocket science just take it from there mate :thumbs:

Sound advice

Cheers mate, thanks for the advice lads well apreciated, real nice of bearinator to help me out, il be sure to take him up on it, ATB lads.

Sorry I haven't been in touch, had to do a complete reinstall of windowswallbash.gif, I'll see if my mate is up for a trip out this weekend if you wantthumbs.gif

Cheers mate, thanks for the advice lads well apreciated, real nice of bearinator to help me out, il be sure to take him up on it, ATB lads.

Sorry I haven't been in touch, had to do a complete reinstall of windowswallbash.gif, I'll see if my mate is up for a trip out this weekend if you wantthumbs.gif

Yeah mate, sound I went and bought a hi ves vest, and took the Hi ves off and stitched them to his favourite toy, gunna sort the lamp out and take it from there on fields :thumbs:

Hi mate.Entering a dog to the lamp like most thing,s with a lurcher will depend on a lot of thing,s.dog,s age,ground,weather.And most of all the owner.Who will know the dog,s nature. Allways try to give it as easy a run as posible.And if you can take a few hopper,s do so.No same in it with a young dog,s first time out it will give it confidence.Like Simoman say,s you should allway,s try to get between the rabbit and the warren.Get a rabbit off it,s run and it,s more likely to panic.Giving the dog a better chance.Get as close as you can before sliping.Seen some poeple letting dogs go at a 100 yard,s plus on a big buck with no hope of catching it.The dog end,s up getting frustrated and may end up yaping.You may find if it misses.It may start to trying to hunt up depending on how mutch day work it,s had.Turn the lamp off and try your recall but keep it low.I allways train mine to a short low whistle.If it dosent work.And i have to go get it.I give a good repremand wait 10 min,s admonish.then try again.At the end of the day you,ll soon find out what work,s best for your own dog.It,s trial error.atb and happy lamping.:thumbs:

You cant beat a good nite out on the bunnies with an experianced dog mate, take up the offer, to tell you the truth thats just what i need also haha, any chance of another BEARINATOR :thumbs:

luke i thought your dog was well on ,you must have had the dog out loads