Rabbits Night Shooting

hey lads, excellent question. on one of my smaller permissions the rabbits are out in force as soon as it goes dark, although on a more rural and larger permission it seems they're out later at night. the space between permissions are 4 miles apart so it shows how different it is in different area's. :tongue2:

as for hunting alone or with someone... i normally hunt with my mate as a team, or we go our seperate ways with radio systems and meet up at the end of play.

it is better hunting with a mate however you may also find yourself more effective on your own. it depends on your taste.

i've been out once on my own and ventured into a wooded area one night. i have never been more scared in my life! :D the wood came alive with the sound of cracking twicks, rustling and shadows. :cry:

i ended up, saftey off, gun in shoulder, walking backwards out of the wood :D lesson learnt and wont be dooing that again ! :thumbs:

Go get a cemetery for a permission.

Probably the best for a good moonless nights shooting :shok:

Must admit, it sometimes gets a little eearie as the lamp is reflected of some of the marble and polished granit and quartz headstones, especilly when you move the lamp and the reflections seem like the light is comming out of the ground inviting you to come closer :o

Then you spot a pair of red eyes moving towards you, they seem to be flying through the air because you can't make out the shape of the body, they seem oval in shape, not round :icon_eek: and they are getting closer and closer :o Dare you let off the shot or not? What if you miss? What if its not bugs?....... :unsure: What if its a small :diablo: released from a grave or :crazy: released from the local sanitarium?

Or you spot a pair of silver red eyes moving quickly close to the ground, its not a rat and they are too small and low for a bunny, they weave around then head straight towards you as if they want to climb into your scope and penetrate your soul then as they get closer, they become a little fuzzy and enlarged by the power of your scope, removing your gun from your shoulder, for a better look you see

young_visitor.jpg

Phantom

• Like 1

Welcome back Bill :gunsmilie:

Read your email this morning :thumbs:

Thanks

Phantom

Hey Tony.

Cheers buddy :thumbs:

Not long over the dreaded Pig flu, what a complete bugger that was, wiped me out :sick: :laugh:

Lorraine cant stop thanking me for sharing it with her :icon_eek::laugh:

Glad you got the mail mate, and thank you for yours buddy :thumbs:

ATB.

Bill.

I am always out on my own, and tend to go from 8pm til early hours, i have 2 lakes on the permission as well as a small wood, gets proper scarey as there are a load of deer in the woods and about on the land, badgers and fox's and the stoat at night too. Loads of pairs of eyes so at present it does not seen very productive , just waiting for them to liven up out of the warrens and then show time, may then start thinking of getting someone else in their with me to keep up with the furry critters.

have i loged on to the ladies huting forum today or something??????

whats up with ya all, sceard of being in the woods at night...and with a gun too..tut..lol

me and base jumper grew up in the woods,think we started camping out in the woods on our own at about 12-13 years old.

you all need to get a few changes of pants in the bag and go grin and bear it, you soon become very used to identifing what the sounds are, well be sat round the fire listening to the wind blow the trees and snapping the twigs,,then there be another crack or sound of movment and we both stop dead look at each other,and with out a word both go for the guns and start stalking off towards the sound,as we both no just by the sound of it its someting liveing and may well be quarry, i suppose its what you get used to.

any way sorry piss takeing over...ladies...lol.

i have 2 main permissions one being the woodland in derbyshire and the other large open crop feilds, and the bunnies act very different from one to the other.

the open feilds there out in the day time a litle but more so in the summer monthes, but normaly there out from dusk till dawn. the only thing that go's on them feilds is the farmer in his tactor and me and mr fox, cant say iv even seen any birds of pray large enough to bother bunnie up there. and theres no foot paths or rights of way for walkers.

the wood land tho, well theres every man and his dog up there in the day,motocross bikes 4x4's people with birds of pray and kids on bikes, therfor you never see mr bugs in the day. they dont really come out till around 12-1 onwards,and are off at the first sign of day light.

i find that the activity of other humans and animals makes a big differance to when bugs shows his head. when we first started shooting the feilds the bunnies would let you get very close befor running off,but after seeing half there mates go in the bag there alot more weary of humans now.

just get out one you land as much as you can, best way to learn.

Andy

Tend to go out on my own at night, sometimes my brother is out for a mooch and we go our separate ways around the permission. Doesn't bother me being out on my own at night after years of fishing and shooting alone you can identify what 80-90% of the sounds you hear are and what is making them.

Tend to go out on my own at night, sometimes my brother is out for a mooch and we go our separate ways around the permission. Doesn't bother me being out on my own at night after years of fishing and shooting alone you can identify what 80-90% of the sounds you hear are and what is making them.

Aye most sounds you learn to identify as quarry or just background noise BUT last night I was out on me todd and saw what can only be described as a floating blue/white LED coloured orb even the dog saw it and we watched it for about 3mins before it disappeared just carried on lamping and gave the top of the field where I saw it a wide berth though :laugh: :laugh:

If you know what this orb was or have a reasonable explanation I'm all ears :tongue2:

ive been waiting on the snow clearing to get out lamping at my work the first three days i didn't see a rabbit all night in fact the first week of the snow i only saw two and i thought the snow had flattened them ,but after that i saw loads between midnight and four am