:D

Can anyone give me some sound advice to get rid of fleas!!!!

I have two Jack Russells, Mother and Daughter..... I have try everything but the problem keeps coming back, i dont know how they keep getting them!!

Front line, shampoo, powders and sprays have not worked at all. It did not seem to be bothering the dogs at first but now they are getting :censored: off with it too!!

I think we have a fox coming though our garden at night, could this be the cause of the problem!!! ( ill soon get rid!)

Someone suggested sheep dip (but only a drop!!!!!) in a bucket, then dip the dogs.....Or some Jeyes?

HELP..................Lottie :D:D:D

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get advantage, although I think the name has changed. DON'T dip your dogs in Jeyes, who suggested this :angry::no::no::no:

old herbal remerdy that does work is crush up some cloves of garlic and put them in a large bucket of boiling water LET THE WATER COOL TILL ITS COOL ENOUGH NOT TO BURN THE DOG. bath them in that and leave for an hour, rince of and shampoo with somthing a little sweeter smelling. feed your dogs a little garlic in there food every day and it stops there breath smelling OR go to the chemists and get some human head lice shampoo, that is the dogs do dar at getting rid of dog fleas, ;)

Get advantage, although I think the name has changed. DON'T dip your dogs in Jeyes, who suggested this :angry::no::no::no:

Someone on here suggested it, thought it was in chat!!!! did not have access to forum at time. They said only 2 use a tiny drop so not to irritate dogs skin.

So do you think its the fox causing the prob???

old herbal remerdy that does work is crush up some cloves of garlic and put them in a large bucket of boiling water LET THE WATER COOL TILL ITS COOL ENOUGH NOT TO BURN THE DOG. bath them in that and leave for an hour, rince of and shampoo with somthing a little sweeter smelling. feed your dogs a little garlic in there food every day and it stops there breath smelling OR go to the chemists and get some human head lice shampoo, that is the dogs do dar at getting rid of dog fleas, ;)

Thanks for the tips, think i will have to work through them one by one, its really irritating the dogs now and I hate to see them suffering!!! :D

It's unlikely that your dogs would get fleas from a fox that is just passing through. Are you sure it's just fleas? not mange or another skin condition?

Deffo not mange or another skin gondition!!! Huge black fleas!!! Just thought the fox might have somethin to do with it as it seems to be a nightly visitor..............its scratching our shed to bits!! Unless it's one of those BIG CAT'S...LOL :laugh:

Give the house a good hoover from top to bottom the go round with some tin's of furniture and bedding flea spray..

Then give the dog's the required amount of frontline for there size.. keep the dog's dry a day before and after you frontline them otherwise it wont stay on there bodies very long causing reinfestation pretty quick stronghold is good stuff too..

And dont forget flea's are the host of worm's so some wormer's will be needed aswell.

Also any body else who has dog's that you have contact with will have to do the same.. and that should nip the little problem in the bud

Millet

Cheers millet,

will do house again...but we have wooden flooring! will try anything!!!

Ps, your pic is great :D

Hi charlotte, First off, would i be right in saying you keep the dogs in the house? If yes, although frontline is very good, if you are regularly getting re-infestation then i would suggest that you go to your vet/pet shop and try to get something like ARDAP. This you will use to spay all soft furnishing that the dogs come in contact with, carpets, perticularly near the skirting boards and also the furniture, this is where fleas will very often lay their eggs. The dogs bedding must be put through on a hot wash if possible, dont forgett as so many people do to treat the car. Obviously the dogs also need to be treated at the same time with a good quality Flea treatment. Flea's eggs take around 21 days to hatch. If this is done thoroughly it should break the cycle. Whatever spray you buy please make sure you read the instructions as some can be harmful to soft furnishing, plastic or harmful if inhaled. If after doing this you are still getting reacurance, then I would suggest you call your local council, if they still have a pest controler he may be slightly cheaper than having a private contractor like myself. Either way you shouldnt pay much more than £35 for a flea treatment in your area. Hope this is of some use to you :)

We"ve just had a major problem with fleas after OH didnt do the ferrets when he brought them back from rabbitting :angry: i used frontline on the ferrets and the dogs and it cleared up immediatly :D good luck with your problem Lottie theres nowt worse than the little :censored:

We"ve just had a major problem with fleas after OH didnt do the ferrets when he brought them back from rabbitting :angry: i used frontline on the ferrets and the dogs and it cleared up immediatly :D good luck with your problem Lottie theres nowt worse than the little :censored:

Cheers Pauls,

Going to make a list of all the tip and work my way down!!!!lol,

Something going shift the little buggers!!!!

Lottie you must do the house even more than the dogs the over the counter stuff is useless and dont use the spray you would spray your dogs with. Get Indorex it is expensive about £15 (from the vets, cheaper online) for a 500ml tin but it works well.

Keep at it, it may take a few month depending upon how bad the infestation is. When you get them down its a case of constantly washing bedding and hoovering like a loon for the rest of your life :D

Have you actually seen the fleas? Only asking because i once had 2 terriers constantly scratching to the point of going bald. A pal asked me the same question, it turned out they were allergic to the washing powder i used, switched to Persil non bio and they have never had it again.

Good luck.

MOLL.

Hi charlotte, First off, would i be right in saying you keep the dogs in the house? If yes, although frontline is very good, if you are regularly getting re-infestation then i would suggest that you go to your vet/pet shop and try to get something like ARDAP. This you will use to spay all soft furnishing that the dogs come in contact with, carpets, perticularly near the skirting boards and also the furniture, this is where fleas will very often lay their eggs. The dogs bedding must be put through on a hot wash if possible, dont forgett as so many people do to treat the car. Obviously the dogs also need to be treated at the same time with a good quality Flea treatment. Flea's eggs take around 21 days to hatch. If this is done thoroughly it should break the cycle. Whatever spray you buy please make sure you read the instructions as some can be harmful to soft furnishing, plastic or harmful if inhaled. If after doing this you are still getting reacurance, then I would suggest you call your local council, if they still have a pest controler he may be slightly cheaper than having a private contractor like myself. Either way you shouldnt pay much more than £35 for a flea treatment in your area. Hope this is of some use to you :)

Thanks Moletrapper,

Dont like too admit that dog's do spend most of the time in house!!! But NOT in living area, we have wooden flooring through the downstairs but i will treat all areas!! Cant wait till Feb when I get some new kennells built.....Only 1 prob though :D:D:D Its an excuse to get more dogd!!!!!

:thumbs-up:

Lottie you must do the house even more than the dogs the over the counter stuff is useless and dont use the spray you would spray your dogs with. Get Indorex it is expensive about £15 (from the vets, cheaper online) for a 500ml tin but it works well.

Keep at it, it may take a few month depending upon how bad the infestation is. When you get them down its a case of constantly washing bedding and hoovering like a loon for the rest of your life :D

Have you actually seen the fleas? Only asking because i once had 2 terriers constantly scratching to the point of going bald. A pal asked me the same question, it turned out they were allergic to the washing powder i used, switched to Persil non bio and they have never had it again.

Good luck.

MOLL.

Cheers Moll,

I will try anything!! I already hoover like a loon as im a bit of a clean freak!!! My family call me the bleach queen as im always scrubbing!!!!! OCD maybe!!lol I have seen the fleas but more seem to be on the young terrier. :D

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Do You never get bitten, Charlotte? :hmm:

Molecatcher's right. Call in a Pro'. Council or local one man band. He'll identify the species involved. Treat it with stuff you aren't allowed to get ye hands on, using the proper equipment and methods. He'll give ye a great little pep talk about the pest concerned and will eradicate it for ye.

He'll cost a damn site less than any ammount of 'Try this, try that' things from shops and vets. He'll also nail the problem in next to no time.

Incidentally; If it Is fleas? They'll be living out their cyclic little lives in those board floors of yours. Spend what ye like on stuff to knock out this lastest wave. Their eggs will be down there. Waiting. They'll be back. But then, I think you've proven this already, no?

Get a Professional in :good: