1st time out with ferrets

hi all this is my first post on the site, i'v been a member for a few months and have been absorbing imformation :thumbs: .

i have two ferrtes a hob and jill, today was my first outing so me and my nephew loaded up the van and off we went .

the first warren showed no joy but the second was very interesting with 1 bolt and then silence for about 15 mins :hmm: ,

so out come the mk3 FF and he was about 3' down and not moving ! we dug him out to find him killing 2 rabbits. as we removed the 1st bunny it gave the impression it was dead but as soon as we let go it bolted, we took no chances with the 2nd tho it was dispached befor letting go ! after that we decided it was enough for our 1st outing and decided to call it a day. one problem was that my hob didnt want to come out i even tried putting the bunnie in the hole and letting him lock on but as soon as we pulled him to the surface he let go . eventually i managed to grab him and we made our way home .

Good post mate, you did well for a 1st time out. :thumbs:

Sounds like your hob was enjoying himself too much to want to come out....often it means there are still rabbits to be had....one tip, when your ferret comes out don't GRAB it...first of all it could be still fired up from the fight and bite you, secondly, if it thinks it's going to be GRABBED every time it exits a bury it'll start skulking just out reach, which will drive you fckin nuts. :cry:

Always LIFT a ferret from underneath rather than pick it up, if you see what I mean ;)

ATB

Good going mate and sounds like your hob was over excited at being out or maybe knew there where more rabbits in there ,you could have sat back for ten minutes and let him work threw the burrow again blowing his steam off then backfilled the hole you dug

Good going mate and sounds like your hob was over excited at being out or maybe knew there where more rabbits in there ,you could have sat back for ten minutes and let him work threw the burrow again blowing his steam off then backfilled the hole you dug

yeah he was excited alrite ! the little f****r was buzzing about like a [bANNED TEXT] nutter on turbo mode lol

how long does it normally take to clear a burry ? or is it a case of how long is a bit of string ???

yeah he was excited alrite ! the little f****r was buzzing about like a [bANNED TEXT] nutter on turbo mode lol

how long does it normally take to clear a burry ? or is it a case of how long is a bit of string ???

Well done mate sounds like you had a good day, and yes it is a bit of how longs a piece of string. just take things slow if you get one backed up again, if the ferret wont come out the as longnetter said he's busy working the other rabbits. if he/they work through the set apearing at most holes then its probably clear. this rule isnt set in stone though if you've made too much noise, or the bunnies are being stuborn and dont want to bolt they could just give the ferrets the run around. this is where knowing your ground and how big your sets are comes into play.

this all comes with time just take things slow and enjoy it mate afterall thats what its all about. :thumbs:

ATB

REDEYE

thanks for all the replys and info guys its all being taking in. its all making sence sort of lol.

cant wait to get out there and get some pic's.

ps how does one hock the bunnys legs ??? i over heard someone talking about hocking the legs and im unsure about this ???

any ideas people ???

to hock a rabbit make a slit with your knife between the major bone [femur]of one hind leg and the tendon which lies directly behind it.to locate the correct position take hold of a hind leg to find the hock.you will see a long deppression of skin which a knife can easily make a slice. when you have put a slice in you can put the foot of the other hind leg through it.you can then put them on a stick etc if you wish to carry them this way . hard for me to explain if someone showed you it would take seconds all the best.

to hock a rabbit make a slit with your knife between the major bone [femur]of one hind leg and the tendon which lies directly behind it.to locate the correct position take hold of a hind leg to find the hock.you will see a long deppression of skin which a knife can easily make a slice. when you have put a slice in you can put the foot of the other hind leg through it.you can then put them on a stick etc if you wish to carry them this way . hard for me to explain if someone showed you it would take seconds all the best.

thanks darbo that makes sence and i understand it now , i'l have a go next time .

atb