I have just brought some .22 Thunderbolt Supreme Hunting Pellets....i was wondering if any one has used these pellets on this forum and how did you find them?.Reviews look good and they are none toxic as they are made from Zinc...also says they are very hard hitting and dont squash like lead pellets

I have just brought some .22 Thunderbolt Supreme Hunting Pellets....i was wondering if any one has used these pellets on this forum and how did you find them?.Reviews look good and they are none toxic as they are made from Zinc...also says they are very hard hitting and dont squash like lead pellets

hi steve

havent used them myself,but have seen them in gun shops.my barrel's likes AA field .177 / .22

let us know how you get on with them at different ranges :thumbs:

what rifle are you using?

regards

davy

Never heard of them Stevo. "Suck em and see" is the best advice with any untried pellet. If it happens you find the perfect pellet that groups consistently one-hole tight with little deviation from your gun's barrel, buy by the shedload of them and stick with them. If they don't, move on to try something else.

Vermin has no idea what's good at switching them off, and what's not!

ATB

Simon

Different guns like different pellets and no two barrels are the same.... try them out. the part about them not squashing like lead pellets is not necessarily a good thing as the deformation of a pellet makes it wider thus a larger wound channel.

hi there.

they do squash like lead pellets fire a few and you will see, they say there hard hitting as they in .22 are only 10 grain fly fast and there is quiet alot of zinc in them so make a big wound.all good IMO

i got 5 boxes of them when they came out and handed them out to freinds

one with a bsa springer

my aa s410

rapid 7 mk1

hand full to a mate with a smk qb78

and a load to a freind with fac hw.@ 22flb.

the old boy with the bsa loves them say the squizzers dont no whats hit them.

my s410 get good resuts but there a little tight in the mag.

mate with the rapid ant tryed them yet.

the qb hasent really used any yet either (dam slackers lol)

and the fac hw, fook me they dont half fly out of that thing, were shooting at around 60m and they were hitting as soon as they left the barrle, was almost no time delay from fireing to impact, a very noticable differance to the aa we were compering to.

did run them through the crono on my 410 and the hw but i cant rember the results now, dont think there was to much differance with my s410 but like i say were quite tight in my barrle. but there was a very noticable differance in the readings with the hw.

but as said befor its all about getting the best pellet for you barrel.

let us no how ya get on pal.

Andy

Ok, there are two types of These ThUnderbolt (UBolt) pellets, one specifically from spring rifles, one for pneumatic guns. I couldn't tell you the difference between them, but apparently there is one.

The apparent benefit of these pellets is that they're incredibly light weight, and therefore travel at much greater velocities than most lead pellets.

I haven't used them, and to be honest, I have no interest in using them either.

Im firing from a BSA Lightning and like you say they dont half shift...i had a bugs last nite and it went clean through its skull.....not always a good thing but it did drop him where he stood....going to do a bit later at longer range.....i was at 15 yds so going to move it up to 25-30 and see what happens and let you know

• 1 year later...

I was thinking of trying these out in my AA TX200 HC. Have you tried them in you TX200? Using chair gun the kill zone (1 inch kz) of about 10-40 yards zeroed in at 35yrds. Being so light they have a kill zone comparable to a .177 very flat trajectory compared to most .22 pellets, that’s why I'm so keen to try them.

If you like the design, try the Defiants, same shape pellet but made of lead. In my Scorpion the large head size was absolutely perfect for accuracy - 50 yards groups no bigger than a 5p - butthe next head size down were useless, rattling up the barrel I suppose. It was all down to head size and the BSA barrels seem to prefer the large head size of 5.52. I love Defiants, but can't get on with the super fast, super wind affected, lightweight Thunderbolts - ok for indoor shooting where there is no wind. A light pellet is going to get substantial wind drift, even at higher velocity.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'll suck’um and see. You can get a small test box of like 50-100 for next to nothing I'll try them out and see if they work well for me or not. I hope they do for that lovely kill zone chair gun predicts, but I can see windage being an issue with such a light pellet and I'm near the west coast so tend to have a breeze all year around coming of the river Taw/Torridge. I'll make sure to use them outside to get a fair test and keep you posted on my findings.

Just a quick query don't .177 pellets have windage issues then being lighter than 10 grains most of the time? Why would this .22 10 grians be any different to a .177 or does the slight size in the pellets really make that much deference when catching the wind?

Edited by Jim-Bob

Ive tried thunderbolts in 10gr and 13 gr in a HW100 kt .22.they are very hard you could all most use them again. The 10 gr are for spring guns and 13gr are for PCP.

Shot 4 rabbits with 13 gr and they went down straight away , had a look and pellets went straight through there head at approx 30 yards .Did a bit more testing and there was to many flyer's

Don't forget, hard pellets will ricochet more too - be careful.

.22 = Light pellet and bigger surface area than a .177. The wind effect will be GREATER.

I like the deformation of a pellet on impact. i am going to try doing some ballistic tests on various pellets at 30 yards. It will be a couple of weeks, but i'll keep you posted.