Pure Greyhounds

You see and hear of so many greyhound crosses but is there any reason why you dont see many PURE greyhounds working these days, many are cross's (I understand you cross breed to get the speed, stamina, power all in one) but are there many pure greyhounds working or is it becoming a dying breed of greyhound x greyhound or just a dog to breed from to get certain breeding results from?

Once you cross you loss a lot of speed, what good greyhounds lack is stamina, good strong feet and a brain. Show me a greyhound with stamina and I will show you a slow greyhound. Some claim some coursing lines have good stamina, every time I have seen one of these dogs it gets left behind by the other dog. Trouble with working a greyhound is it's like buying a F1 car to go to the shops and drive over speed humps. The ground has to be right, run a greyhound over rough ground chances are it will come back lame, run it more than once a week and it will pick up too many knocks. One thing I have noticed with greyhounds is if you run them too much they start running slower.

IMO the secret to using a pure greyhound is to take it on as a young pup and rear and train it as lurcher. People take on a retired tracker and wonder why when they let it off that it dissapears.

I've seen a couple reared like this and they were average. I've seen plenty of greyhounds take all quarry successfully though.

IMO the secret to using a pure greyhound is to take it on as a young pup and rear and train it as lurcher. People take on a retired tracker and wonder why when they let it off that it dissapears.

I've seen a couple reared like this and they were average. I've seen plenty of greyhounds take all quarry successfully though.

I did this a few years ago and the pup i rared broke its neck chasing a fox.

It tripped and rolled over.

Greyhounds are just too fast for their own good.

Only one i seen that was any good, took a lot of rabbits on the lamp and had a very good turn of speed, but was fecked after 10 rabbits and would sometimes collapse!

Grand dogs to cross with a collie mind and if the right one is used, a better dog is produced for the rough irish country.

My father races greyhounds, that's how i got to have a pup for hunting, she was too small to race.

You see and hear of so many greyhound crosses but is there any reason why you dont see many PURE greyhounds working these days, many are cross's (I understand you cross breed to get the speed, stamina, power all in one) but are there many pure greyhounds working or is it becoming a dying breed of greyhound x greyhound or just a dog to breed from to get certain breeding results from?

OVER THE YEARS THE GROWTH OF RACING GREYHOUNDS & THE DECLINE OF COURSING MEANT STAMINA WAS A SECONDARY REQUIREMENT TO SPEED. I HAVE KNOWN GREYHOUNDS REARED AS LURCHERS & GIVEN MORE OF A FREE REIGN AS PUPS DEVELOP BETTER STAMINA & BECOME USEFULL WORKING DOGS. HOWEVER THESE WERE THE EXCEPTION RATHER THAN THE NORM SADLY :thumbs:

i have a full grayhound and i work him and he can go for 4hrs or longer but i work him with a bull cross whippet and i work them on rough grands and he is good he gets hare and foxs on his own but i work my bull cross more coz he is a lot better out on the filed and a grayhound wont go the nex dayDscf1827.jpg[/img]

Edited by mr-lurcher

I working my mates young greyhound he was turning into a good dog got his stamina quite good started to actually hunt the quarry instead of chasing it got his turning distance down got him jumping then we had this f****n cold snap but I still take him out every night with the pups on all terrain and he can run on it but I think walking hum on it alot has maybe strengthened the tendons and muscle around where they would get injured don't get me wrong he far from finished article but he coming on great so I believe they can still do it in the right circumstances I think he 19 months now I need to ask Stewie off here as it's his dog he got the litter sister recently and he says she coming on great n think she might turn in to the better hunter she looks like a collie x not a pure grey

been watching some coursing vids on youtube, think there in spain. look like greys?, plenty of speed and some seem to have loads of stamina, even the ground there runing on looks abit rough!! is it just the way they are bred over there? some pretty good courses. cant put a link up but heres the name of vid. DIA-11-12-09 GALGOS CASTILLA LA MANCHA.. if some one could do that for me. :icon_redface::thumbs:

Edited by pikesta

been watching some coursing vids on youtube, think there in spain. look like greys?, plenty of speed and some seem to have loads of stamina, even the ground there runing on looks abit rough!! is it just the way they are bred over there? some pretty good courses. cant put a link up but heres the name of vid. DIA-11-12-09 GALGOS CASTILLA LA MANCHA.. if some one could do that for me. :icon_redface::thumbs:

They would be spanish galgoes they do have amazing stamina but are a breed developed by the spanish and they would rather hang them out of a tree then let you have one. I saw a few coursing in new mexico and they were exerlent hare dogs.

A mate of mine has rasied a few greyhounds from pups with the stags and they turn out quite ok my Deer/greyhound is out of one such greyhound bitch.

Steve

Edited by stevemac

long time ago i bred some grayhound x english pionter pups they had speed to give away and stamina second to none they would work day and night. they were intelligent loyal and could jump for fun.i havent kept running dogs for a long time but my son has took very keen interest.so i will be breeding these again very soon as i have a very good working english pionter which i use as a falconry dog if anyone is interested in one of these pups call me on o1914105670 ask for mel these pups will be free to good homes only