Hound Feed

PMul

A question for the guys feeding hounds...........

What are you feeding?

I have a small pack of Beagles that I usually cook for (rice, venison, fat etc, etc)but often resort to commercial feeds as I can't keep weight on them in the winter.......

I have heard flaked maize might work..........Any advice?

Edited by PMul

Raw animal fat is the best way to keep weight on dogs in winter. Beef or lamb fat is best: the hard, suety stuff. They still need a decent base food though. Too much cereal takes a lot of energy to digest: raw meat, bone and fat is best. Fat is instant energy for dogs whereas cereal (carbs) takes longer to be converted to energy by dogs.

Unfortunately the days of just taking a dead bullock of a farmer is gone. Every beast nowadays is registered and when it dies the farmer must prove it's dead, how it died and then dispose of the beast in a legal way.

Your local hunt is the most common method of collection of fallen stock. All liscensed of course.

Unfortunately the days of just taking a dead bullock of a farmer is gone. Every beast nowadays is registered and when it dies the farmer must prove it's dead, how it died and then dispose of the beast in a legal way.

Your local hunt is the most common method of collection of fallen stock. All liscensed of course.

does this guy not live in canada?

Just be carefull on the venison. Most packs wont feed mutton for the reason that they believe it would cause hounds to go for sheep. If that's the truth then venison would most certainly cause your hounds to riot on deer and deer are the hardest game to break hounds too. Their scent is irresistable to hounds.

Maybe cooking will change all that, I don't know.

flesh his alls we use ,cows bellys tongues fat an all bones the lot .natural diet clean yard these dry foods maybe convenient .but crap in comparisondogs dehydrate on dry needing excessive amounts of water bloat can be a problem with some hounds like the large blood hounds etc,