hare loss

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shooters everytime. A gun doesn't know the difference between a strong or weak hare... a dog does. How many shooters do you know that aren't in it for the numbers?

yes lamping has defo played its part and as you say some dogs that take hare's on the lamp couldent take the same number of daytime hares if any,

buzzards wont have a great deal to do with it mate they wont even take a leveret the only BOP that could bother hares in uk is the goshawk and golden eagle and even then not enough to hit numbers in

In certain places near me I have seen them with infections around thier mouths. It seems to be near where there are sheep aswell so i'm thinking it could be orf? Not sure if its affecting them badly as most seem healthy other than the infected area around the mouth, then again it could just be from having there mouths resting in the wet grass all day. Has anyone else seen this?:hmm:

what would you blame for the decline in hares theres land devoid of hares that once held decent numbers.i think the increase in buzzards and other birds of prey has played a significant part 20 years ago you never seen a buzzard now there as common as dog shit.lamping has also played its part as theres dogs taking hare on the lamp that would struggle daytime.

buzzards wont have a great deal to do with it mate they wont even take a leveret :thumbs: the only BOP that could bother hares in uk is the goshawk and golden eagle and even then not enough to hit numbers in any area :thumbs: be dickheads shooting them thats your problem :thumbs:

that is total sh!te "wont even take a leveret" you need to get out the house a bit more, its stupid made up facts like that, that is setting back laws to control of these feckin things. as a grouse keeper who is out on the hill everyday i can tell you 100% they will take leverts, adult white hare, grouse, lapwings, curluws as well as anything else that moves and i'v seen this not just read about it on the RSPB web page.

dont care what you say mate,if they do take them it would be in really small numbers..fact :kiss:

And where may i ask did you come by this "fact"? is it a "fact" that you, yourself have come to realise on a daily basis? at your place of work perhaps? or is it just you talking sh!te about a subject which you have little or no real knowledge about? what do you think they eat? rabbits yes, but they dont try to catch them running, how often have you put up a hare (if you have spend any time out doors) at your feet? a buzzard just drop on them from a height, just the same way they hunt rabbits and as far as leverets go you can catch them in your hands.

what would you blame for the decline in hares theres land devoid of hares that once held decent numbers.i think the increase in buzzards and other birds of prey has played a significant part 20 years ago you never seen a buzzard now there as common as dog shit.lamping has also played its part as theres dogs taking hare on the lamp that would struggle daytime.

buzzards wont have a great deal to do with it mate they wont even take a leveret :thumbs: the only BOP that could bother hares in uk is the goshawk and golden eagle and even then not enough to hit numbers in any area :thumbs: be dickheads shooting them thats your problem :thumbs:

that is total sh!te "wont even take a leveret" you need to get out the house a bit more, its stupid made up facts like that, that is setting back laws to control of these feckin things. as a grouse keeper who is out on the hill everyday i can tell you 100% they will take leverts, adult white hare, grouse, lapwings, curluws as well as anything else that moves and i'v seen this not just read about it on the RSPB web page.

And as a grouse keeper you wont have an agenda right.......

where facts are concerned agendas are irrelevant .

As do high numbers of Badgers. :thumbs:

in what way does the badger affect hare numbers hannah??

They eat leverets......

and stoats,polecat,weasel,fox,hawks etc dont,nor would a dramatic drop in temperature and wet weather wipe a few out..

I wasn't discussing the other species and didn't say they did or didn't, the question was asked do badgers affect hare numbers.........

As Simo has stated, i'm not arguing or stating that other carnivores don't take hares . . . i was merely stating that in my experience of the land around my house, there is a massively high number of Badgers, and the hares haven't been seen in 2 years. No one shoots or runs dogs on the land except me, and my lurcher is only 2, so given that badgers will eat leverets, i have come to the conclusion that they are responsible for the loss of the hare. . . . and if i'm wrong then so be it, i still hate badgers so will place the blame with them! :laugh:

Interesting some good points some :thumbdown:

Badgers around with us where there is a massive badger population,not only hares have suffered but hedgehogs to which used to be very common,I seen one last Year hedgehog that is and that was a rarity.The badger has no enemy other than man or a car,it seems the Hare has many,reading some of the other threads on here tells you a lot about the hares decline,i.e. running them out of season,in deep snow,six or more dogs ,leaving them not eating or selling them,these people will never miss them if they go they dont respect them or their dogs that chase them enough :censored:

There is no better sight for me preban of course of My lurcher coursing a Daylight hare catching or not the course is something that used to always get the adrenalin going :notworthy:

Combination of all sorts,modern farming techniques,buzzards,badgers,fox,mink,lamping ,shooting ,since the ban came into force the hare's viewed more as a pest than as a sporting asset to be protected as any land known to hold a healthy population inevitably ends up being plagued with illegal coursers, lampers etc. thus the landowners say "shoot the lot...they're more trouble than they're worth"....sad but true, and it won't change until there's a repeal of the hunting act ....until then poor old puss is really up against it :wallbash:

after three decades of hunting hares etc all over lamping daylite etc the demise of the hare in some areas more predators less proper gamekeepers at times , more roads bypass etc , no set a side farmers ploughing tite to the hedge no cove for winter fodder ,ploughing stubbles as quick as there cut ,in areas were there no rabbits only hares etc buzzards foxes badgers will kill and eat leverets ,thtas for sure more people harasing them lamping in areas hig powerd rifles lamps ,the modern bypass has killed more than any dog will , to sustain hares one you have to leave them not harass them to hell hares are going back to being more woodland nowadays beacause of safety etc to much pressure on hares they end up being woodland creatures again in places

well said mate buzzards are opportunistic birds that will take any free meal they can get :yes:

Interesting some good points some :thumbdown:

Badgers around with us where there is a massive badger population,not only hares have suffered but hedgehogs to which used to be very common,I seen one last Year hedgehog that is and that was a rarity.The badger has no enemy other than man or a car,it seems the Hare has many,reading some of the other threads on here tells you a lot about the hares decline,i.e. running them out of season,in deep snow,six or more dogs ,leaving them not eating or selling them,these people will never miss them if they go they dont respect them or their dogs that chase them enough :censored:

There is no better sight for me preban of course of My lurcher coursing a Daylight hare catching or not the course is something that used to always get the adrenalin going :notworthy:

I AGREE COMPLETLY. :thumbs: