narrow cbested terriers.

I believe a narrow chested terrier is a desirable physical attribute,was wondering if whippet blood would

reduce the spannable chest width of a terrier using working whippet blood?Bearing in mind,the breeding would have to involve game dogs of both breeds to start a baseline.Most terriers today are barely spannable,

how on earth can these terriers find game below ground if they can't get where the charlie goes?

Higgins.

I believe a narrow chested terrier is a desirable physical attribute,was wondering if whippet blood would

reduce the spannable chest width of a terrier using working whippet blood?Bearing in mind,the breeding would have to involve game dogs of both breeds to start a baseline.Most terriers today are barely spannable,

how on earth can these terriers find game below ground if they can't get where the charlie goes?

Higgins.

i totaly agree with you higgins ,most terriers nowdays are going on the big side and for were i work my terriers and what i work them on i need small type terriers ,or you end up leaving them in for another day ,ive seen whippet crosses before and they seem to take to the whippet side and would take alot of breeding to get them back to terrier size with a good head ,also whippets have a natural hatred for fox,s for the size of them ,ive kept back a pup out my last litter not a whippet cross but a tiny little thing that could get just about anywere if she wanted but with all the good blood behind her at 15 months old she will not go to ground :thumbdown: all the other pups out the same litter are being dug to already and are looking down the right channels ,but i think ive got the duck egg lol :blink:

my cousin had a whippetxjrt and although very small in height he had took the whippet look and was unspanable

if you want small terriers find the smallest workers you can and take pups from them and just keep breeding from the small stuff

i have the same problem nowadays with this bitchpost-54228-0-64643600-1291199685_thumb.jpg

from 13month onto 3yr old she was perfect size for the small old rabbit holes in my area and was very spanable and reached any fox anywhere but from 3yr onwards she took a growth spurt and now is unspanable and finds it hard to get to fox with alot of digging and fukin about she gets there but thats just time i dont like so i have this wee dog post-54228-0-24293600-1291199513_thumb.jpgto bring down the size of the pups i will take from her 2 or 3 as i only breed for my own use and what is left i give to family and if lucky a friend will get one

Edited by terrierjohn

I've had this argument many times down the year's about many types of terrier,breeding large game terrier's is easy compared to keeping the size down to 12-13tts and easilly spannable,keeping the gameness and head size is alway's a problem after a few generation's,we all know the larger dog's are of use to the lads that hunt bigger holes,I only keep smaller terrier's as they can fly around most earth's presserising the fox to bolt quickly,using whippets is a nonstarter as you would lose too much head size and gain nothing from the cross,I know legs fold away but you want strong,game terrier's capable of a decent day's work not shivering wrecks,this cross is alright for a bit of rabbiting or bushing but as an earthdog you need to source quality small stock that are game,they are still about but take some finding,atb,wirralman

the way to do it is to breed terrier to terrier with the correct size. if you try to breed for small terriers you will get terriers that are to small and get pushed about. breed for average sized terriers and you will get just that. there will allways be variations in size and thats where i would want to source a smaller dog. or a larger dog for that matter. whippet is a non starter as far as i'm concerned :no: worker to worker from workers. bred for the job :yes: