Build Your Own Ghillie Veil

I know full ghillie suits have become popular recently. Rather than make a full ghillie suit - I made a ghillie veil from a standard issue scrim veil. It attaches to my boony hat and drapes down to about my backside. Most of the time I'm shooting prone off a bipod but when kneeling it still breaks the shape up very effrectively. I used hesion (sandbag) off-cuts, jute-string (Wilko's own - 1 standard green - 1 standard brown and one roll dyed khaki). It's reasonably light-weight and I dont have to walk around like big-foot. As you can see it is superb when prone and kneeling and even effective against a plain flat background.If anyone wants to know how simple it is give me a shout.

post-55947-0-83940400-1290163554_thumb.jpg

post-55947-0-97885500-1290163566_thumb.jpg

post-55947-0-38078500-1290163652_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That looks fantastic swiftnbold :thumbs::thumbs:

SPA from me for a really great, practical idea. How about posting up your methods and materials for making one. I've a feeling you'll have more "customers enquiries" than you can show individually.

ATB

Simon

Fellas, thanks for the comments. Okay to build a veil youll need the following:

A standard issue veil (£3)

A bit of camo net about 2x3- scrounge it (I used a piece of leaf blind camo)

An old hessian sack.

Two rolls of Jute (garden) twine from any Wilkinsons - one small dark green 50m roll (99p) and one large 150m brown (£1.99).

Dylon Tropical Green cold water dye. Dont worry that it looks too bright it wont (£2)

Step 1

Unwind the large roll of Jute and make three (roughly) equal piles

Cut the hessian into strips 12 long by about 2 wide then divide into the three piles

Mix the dye in a bowl with salt as instructed

Add the first pile of hessian and jute to the bowl and dye

Once youve followed the time drain the dye water back into the bowl and take the first batch out to dry.

DON'T THROW the dye away. Add a bit more water and salt and add the second batch.

You can leave this in for ages but it will only dye to about half the colour of the first batch.

Let all the batches dry. You will then have four different shades of jute from dark green to a light brown.

Step 2

Decide which is the shoulders end of the veil and attach the camo net at that end tie each corner and around the edges. This helps break up the head & shoulders a little more.

Cut the jute into pieces about 10 long.

Take a few of each coloured strand of jute to make up about half a dozen

Take a small piece of jute and tie the bundle across the middle to form a tassle. This can them be attached to the veil (through the camo net). From here it is just a case of attaching the jute and hessian until youre happy with the coverage.

You can attach other strips like old desert DPM (good in the summer see the cornfield photo) it really is trial and error until your happy.

As Phantom said they dont last forever (I suppose it wouldnt do any harm to wash it in Nikwax) but if it cost £20 every couple of years its not the end of the world. Ive also put a photo of me kneeling up to show just how little there is to snag as Linc pointed out.

Any more info you know what to do :thumbs:

post-55947-0-27319100-1290192280_thumb.jpg

Edited by swiftnbold

Fella’s, thanks for the comments. Okay to build a veil you’ll need the following:

A standard issue veil (£3)

A bit of camo net about 2’x3’- scrounge it (I used a piece of leaf blind camo)

An old hessian sack.

Two rolls of Jute (garden) twine from any Wilkinsons - one small dark green 50m roll (99p) and one large 150m brown (£1.99).

Dylon Tropical Green cold water dye. Don’t worry that it looks too bright – it won’t (£2)

Step 1

Unwind the large roll of Jude and make three (roughly) equal piles

Cut the hession into strips 12†long by about 2†wide then divide into the three piles

Mix the dye in a bowl with salt as instructed

Add the first pile of hession and jute to the bowl and dye

Once you’ve followed the time drain the dye water back into the bowl and take the first batch out to dry.

DON’T THROW the dye away. Add a bit more water and salt and add the second batch.

You can leave this in for ages but it will only dye to about half the colour of the first batch.

Let all the batches dry. You will then have four different shades of jute from dark green to a light brown.

Step 2

Decide which is the shoulders end of the veil and attach the camo net at that end tie each corner and around the edges. This helps break up the head & shoulders a little more.

Cut the jute into pieces about 10†long.

Take a few of each coloured strand of jute to make up about half a dozen

Take a small piece of jute and tie the bundle across the middle to form a tassle. This can them be attached to the veil (through the camo net). From here it is just a case of attaching the jute and hessian until you’re happy with the coverage.

You can attach other strips like old desert DPM (good in the summer – see the cornfield photo) – it really is trial and error until your happy.

As Phantom said – they don’t last forever (I suppose it wouldn’t do any harm to wash it in Nikwax) but if it cost £20 every couple of years it’s not the end of the world. I’ve also put a photo of me kneeling up to show just how little there is to snag as Linc pointed out.

Any more info you know what to do :thumbs:

post-55947-0-27319100-1290192280_thumb.jpg

hi buddy

thanks for that!! :thumbs:

last pic looks the dogs danglys :thumbs:

well done

regards

davy

looks spot on that does swift mate

when you compare your to the one's you can buy there aint much in it mate

this is one wor kid bought cost him about 60 quid i think ..how many can you make with 60 quid lol

_MG_2226.jpg

_MG_2233.jpg

atb gary