Coursing Greyhound versus Racing Greyhound

Not sure how many of you get Earth Dog Running Dog but mine arrived yesterday and I read Dave Sleight's article with great interest.

When it comes to the production of a lurcher, assuming you're using a greyhound, what would you consider the best type to use?

I've long considered this one and I've asked a lot of lads with much better knowledge of greys than me for their opinions over the years.

So what would you use assuming you had access to both?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

remember they have been selected to run in pairs for the last couple of hundred years as well. you dont have to be as agile, or worry about over shooting if there is another one of you cutting the tur

no difference both dogs have simalar lines and track bred dogs av won waterloo cup and vice verser coursing dogs won on track plus the irish mix both lines

the've only been banned a couple of years. the last winner of the waterloo cup is probably still alive.   plus you could get one from ireland. i think the lady from the "coursing diary" was telling

Posted Images

I hear a lot of greyhound men crying about the standard of trackers nowadays and a lot of them are blaming the Austrailian blood brought in a few years back. They say a lot of dogs wont chase.

This IMO would be a serious factor in breeding lurchers.

Interesting comment as Austraian track dogs are full of Irsh blood.

The bitch in my avatar is first x track dog bred. though her mother was not raced. both my bitch and and her mother have taken all game avable over here. So as you see from the dogs Ive had contact with not much wrong with track dogs.

Edited by stevemac

if i had to make the choice a coursing grey ,preferably from coursing stock .....

but where would you find one in the u/k today?

the've only been banned a couple of years. the last winner of the waterloo cup is probably still alive.

plus you could get one from ireland. i think the lady from the "coursing diary" was telling me they breed 5,000 coursing greyhounds in ireland a year. ranging in cost for pups from around a 1,000 euro upto whatever you wanted to pay (5/6,000 for a stakes winners pup). only about 1/2 doz make any stake money, so there must be tons of retiring coursers or sapplings who didnt make the grade kicking about suitable for breeding or waiting to patiently to be turned into hunting dogs. id love to hear from someone who actually had some experience hunting with this breed/line.

its seems that anyone who has actually owned and hunted with a greyhound loves them. and everyone else has this preconceived notion that they injure easily and have no distance. i reckon that people have just got ex track dogs, and taken them out on the first night without putting in any of the conversion work i think that you would have to do. then they have the inevitable blowout, run into a fence or just f**k off, then the old story of it being the stupid dogs fault.

its a real shame that the traditional coursing dog of the british islands, has been ignored by people who should love and protect them the most. im super impressed on what you blokes have done in 30 odd years of breeding with someone else's traditional breed. but i cant help but imagine what all that effort would have brought to the greyhound.

no they wont catch 5 hares a day one out. but what are you going to do with all that meat anyway? surely a couple or three hares a day is enough for any man.

• Like 1

I hear a lot of greyhound men crying about the standard of trackers nowadays and a lot of them are blaming the Austrailian blood brought in a few years back. They say a lot of dogs wont chase.

This IMO would be a serious factor in breeding lurchers.

brett lee's fault hey. thats been the problem with greyhounds for a couple of hundred years. just a couple of sires for the whole lot of them

if i had to make the choice a coursing grey ,preferably from coursing stock .....

the've only been banned a couple of years. the last winner of the waterloo cup is probably still alive.

plus you could get one from ireland. i think the lady from the "coursing diary" was telling me they breed 5,000 coursing greyhounds in ireland a year. ranging in cost for pups from around a 1,000 euro upto whatever you wanted to pay (5/6,000 for a stakes winners pup). only about 1/2 doz make any stake money, so there must be tons of retiring coursers or sapplings who didnt make the grade kicking about suitable for breeding or waiting to patiently to be turned into hunting dogs. id love to hear from someone who actually had some experience hunting with this breed/line.

its seems that anyone who has actually owned and hunted with a greyhound loves them. and everyone else has this preconceived notion that they injure easily and have no distance. i reckon that people have just got ex track dogs, and taken them out on the first night without putting in any of the conversion work i think that you would have to do. then they have the inevitable blowout, run into a fence or just f**k off, then the old story of it being the stupid dogs fault.

its a real shame that the traditional coursing dog of the british islands, has been ignored by people who should love and protect them the most. im super impressed on what you blokes have done in 30 odd years of breeding with someone else's traditional breed. but i cant help but imagine what all that effort would have brought to the greyhound.

no they wont catch 5 hares a day one out. but what are you going to do with all that meat anyway? surely a couple or three hares a day is enough for any man.

yes im sure you are correct in what you say about coursing greys in ireland , ;) trouble is ex track greys are 2 a penny , in england , and seem to be an easy option for lurcher breeding .

Not sure how many of you get Earth Dog Running Dog but mine arrived yesterday and I read Dave Sleight's article with great interest.

When it comes to the production of a lurcher, assuming you're using a greyhound, what would you consider the best type to use?

I've long considered this one and I've asked a lot of lads with much better knowledge of greys than me for their opinions over the years.

it comes down to genetics, both codes of hounds will produce dogs with high and low drives,

you breed from the right line of track dogs with proven genes the result will be as good as anything from average coursing bred lines

a lot of coursing bred lines tend to be powerhouses of dogs with plenty of muscle mass, bred to give maximum speed over a relativly short distance, ideal for what it does, but may not be as supple a animal as what is needed to breed into something expected to run a bunny 20 or 30 times a night,,But for running bigger stuff maybe what you need,,

• Like 1

it comes down to genetics, both codes of hounds will produce dogs with high and low drives,

you breed from the right line of track dogs with proven genes the result will be as good as anything from average coursing bred lines

a lot of coursing bred lines tend to be powerhouses of dogs with plenty of muscle mass, bred to give maximum speed over a relativly short distance, ideal for what it does, but may not be as supple a animal as what is needed to breed into something expected to run a bunny 20 or 30 times a night,,But for running bigger stuff maybe what you need,,

remember they have been selected to run in pairs for the last couple of hundred years as well. you dont have to be as agile, or worry about over shooting if there is another one of you cutting the turn.

adam

• Like 2

remember they have been selected to run in pairs for the last couple of hundred years as well. you dont have to be as agile, or worry about over shooting if there is another one of you cutting the turn.

adam

sorry not sure what you getting at there,,strange dogs dont think in pairs , otherwise there wouldn't be a race,,

adam

sorry not sure what you getting at there,,strange dogs dont think in pairs , otherwise there wouldn't be a race,,

DOGS BREED TO RUN IN PAIRS HA HA. . THERE BREED TO WIN END OFF.

yes im sure you are correct in what you say about coursing greys in ireland , ;) trouble is ex track greys are 2 a penny , in england , and seem to be an easy option for lurcher breeding .

id bet you that ex coursers arnt that much more than 2 a penny in ireland. i spose thats the difference between a good breeder and a great breeder, the willingness to go the extra mile not except just close enough.